Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LX Models > LX570
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd row

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-08, 05:58 AM   #1
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner
Trader Score: (0)
 
0260n5.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: GUAM
Posts: 920
Default 3rd row

Been looking into a new SUV and test drove a Sequoia Platinum and the LX. One major difference is the Sequoia's 3rd row folds flat while the LXs folds up to the sides like my current GX. What the....If Toyota can design it flat, Why can't Lexus take notes form Toyota? Major downside of the LX in my opinion. Come to think of it, do any other SUVs fold up to the sides?

MAC
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
0260n5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 10:10 AM   #2
TexLex470
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26
Default

If you would do your homework before you b*$ch and bellyache you would know that the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension and the LX570 does not. They have totally different set ups. Thus, the LX cannot fold into the floor without making the seats back there useless, high up, and tiny. Same with the Land Cruiser.
TexLex470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 10:27 AM   #3
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 936
Send a message via Yahoo to jjbodean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLex470 View Post
If you would do your homework before you b*$ch and bellyache you would know that the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension and the LX570 does not. They have totally different set ups. Thus, the LX cannot fold into the floor without making the seats back there useless, high up, and tiny. Same with the Land Cruiser.
DING! we have a winner....
__________________
You've got questions, I have the answers....

2006 Sienna Limited - wifes ride. her previous rides: 2000 RX300, 2004 RX330, 2005 GX470
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited - my ride. my previous rides: 1997 ES300, 1999 GS300, 2001 GS300, 2001 GS300, 2000 Land Cruiser, 2005 GX470
jjbodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 12:02 PM   #4
tigmd99
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
tigmd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,115
Default

I think that the Tahoes and Yukons fold up to the sides too....because they have a solid rear axle. The Lincoln Navigators fold flat due to rear independent suspension.
__________________
2010 Toyota Prius V ATP Winter Gray w/ Misty Gray - Built 3/10, Delivered 4/10 (daily driver)
2009 Acura TSX Palladium (wife's car)
2008 Toyota Sienna Salsa Red Pearl 2wd Limited (family "land cruiser")

Off-roading Videos of My G
tigmd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 03:06 PM   #5
GoFaSSter
Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmd99 View Post
I think that the Tahoes and Yukons fold up to the sides too....because they have a solid rear axle. The Lincoln Navigators fold flat due to rear independent suspension.
The tahoes and yukons fold in half and then flip up forward. They leave a flat floor, but take up about 14 inches of cargo room.
GoFaSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 03:17 PM   #6
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner
Trader Score: (0)
 
0260n5.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: GUAM
Posts: 920
Default

Tex, You don't have to bash someone for asking. I didn't b*$ch about anything. It is an observation and now i have the answer. Thanks for the answers all else. Thanks to this board there are knowledgeable people that can answer ?s such as these. Unfortunately there are those that use the board to criticize others because they aren't as technically proficient as others. I've been a Lexus owner for 10 years and love the cars. I just thought it was odd that both the GX and LX 3rd rows fold up to the sides.
0260n5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 03:24 PM   #7
trusso
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLex470 View Post
If you would do your homework before you b*$ch and bellyache you would know that the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension and the LX570 does not. They have totally different set ups. Thus, the LX cannot fold into the floor without making the seats back there useless, high up, and tiny. Same with the Land Cruiser.
OUCH....crushing response.!!!

I have a 570 and with the seats folded up still have a ton of room for everything.
I had a 470 prior and would take the seats out to go on a trip with the family. With the seats up, our first trip left me with a lot of extra room (why, I dont know, but it did).
If I really needed I could also move the 2nd row forward for another 4-5 inches. space is not an issue in this car...
trusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 04:06 PM   #8
pagemaster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MIchigan
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
have a 570 and with the seats folded up still have a ton of room for everything.
I was actually at the dealer today picking up some shocks absorbers for my truck and I spotted a Lx570 with bubinga trim. I really checked out the rear and I really don't think it is that big of an issue IMO. I thought it was but I sat back there and yes my knees where up but for a short stint no big issue. Also, moving the 2nd row forward helps out a lot if there are an big guys. Toyota has worked on the 200 series set up quite a bit.

I would rather have no third row seats at all back there or a least have them removable.I think they cheaped out on the power foldinging feature. Also, the load floor is much lower compared to the Sequioa and I really like all the rear vents for cooling where the Sequioa has about half as much.
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 04:57 PM   #9
ggebhardt
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 980
Default

How the 3rd row seats fold up is just another detail that again should not be a deal breaker for someone who is serious about the LX570. Some will like the seats, others will not. I wish there were no 3rd row seats there at all!
I would liked to have seen them just add another 12 inches of leg room for the 2nd row! 90% of the time my LX570 carries 1 person. The other 10% may two of 4 people at the most. Never 6-8 people! <vbg>

This does make good conversation for this forum but would not deter a person who is serious about the LX570! While driving my 570 down the road, I seldom thing about how the 3rd row seats fold up.
__________________
Greg in Jax, FL
2014 RX F-SPORT
2013 LX570
ggebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 05:32 PM   #10
trusso
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggebhardt View Post
How the 3rd row seats fold up is just another detail that again should not be a deal breaker for someone who is serious about the LX570. Some will like the seats, others will not. I wish there were no 3rd row seats there at all!
I would liked to have seen them just add another 12 inches of leg room for the 2nd row! 90% of the time my LX570 carries 1 person. The other 10% may two of 4 people at the most. Never 6-8 people! <vbg>

This does make good conversation for this forum but would not deter a person who is serious about the LX570! While driving my 570 down the road, I seldom thing about how the 3rd row seats fold up.
The seating arrangement is great for us if my wife does field trips (can put 4 kids or more safely) bringing grandparents on trips, etc.
Plenty of room for 4, still plenty of room for 6+
We brought the 570 to the snow (I still need to post the pics of that) and brought clothes, skis, food, sleds, boots, etc and still more room left than the 470.
If the 570 doesnt have enough room, get a Thule roof rack. I have a buddy with an Escalade with one of those and it fits a ton.

My wife loves the car even more now that GI Joe showed me how to raise the DVD screen from the front !!!!
trusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 06:14 PM   #11
pagemaster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MIchigan
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggebhardt View Post
How the 3rd row seats fold up is just another detail that again should not be a deal breaker for someone who is serious about the LX570. Some will like the seats, others will not. I wish there were no 3rd row seats there at all!
I would liked to have seen them just add another 12 inches of leg room for the 2nd row! 90% of the time my LX570 carries 1 person. The other 10% may two of 4 people at the most. Never 6-8 people! <vbg>

This does make good conversation for this forum but would not deter a person who is serious about the LX570! .
To some it will make a difference. I have seen a prospective buyer say that there is not enough room for the cooler, dog and camping gear. With that being said a Sequioa would be perfect for him. I think the problem with the third row seat up is that it is no easily removable (I think Land crusier you can remove easier) and the third row does take up some usuable space. I wish they were removable.

I think second row comfort is the best in the business and there are very few people I know who really need the third row of seats when the 200 series seats 5 very nice. No other vehicle I know has over 18 HVAC vents, 2nd/3rd row HVAC vents, independent power moving 2nd row with three level of seat heating and dual independent climate. VERY NICE.

I think the third row should be there just in case but removable.


Quote:
While driving my 570 down the road, I seldom thing about how the 3rd row seats fold up
For the purpose of this thread. The Sequioa has the same 5.7 is actually faster than the LX570

Last edited by pagemaster; 03-10-08 at 06:20 PM..
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 08:44 PM   #12
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to ISmy350JDM
Default

yeah the older escalades folds up...im not sure about the new ones though.

but the new 570...atleast it is automatic/power folding unlike the previous lx 470 like my dads.
__________________
2008 Lexus IS350 :: 2007 Toyota Altis :: 1993 Honda EG Ferio
http://a760.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...429f951de7.jpg
ISmy350JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 11:51 PM   #13
trusso
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 346
Default

I think the third row should be there just in case but removable.




For the purpose of this thread. The Sequioa has the same 5.7 is actually faster than the LX570[/QUOTE]



I agree, it would be nice to remove the third row, but I'd rather have the power third row rather then to remove. It's nice to not have to climb in the back and unhook those straps.

I didn't believe the Sequoia being faster so I had to look it up...sure enough about .5 sec 0-60 and they weigh about the same!!
gearing??
trusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 06:21 AM   #14
ggebhardt
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 980
Default

Just think how nice it would be to not have the 3rd row seats and add 12-15" of leg room to the 2nd row! Maybe even recliner leg rest like the 460 stretch version
__________________
Greg in Jax, FL
2014 RX F-SPORT
2013 LX570
ggebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 06:30 AM   #15
mikeivan
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
mikeivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggebhardt View Post
Just think how nice it would be to not have the 3rd row seats and add 12-15" of leg room to the 2nd row! Maybe even recliner leg rest like the 460 stretch version
Bingo, that's what I want (actually, my wife's idea).
__________________
MIKEIVAN
mikeivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 06:30 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MM Review....2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD mmarshall Car Chat 66 09-10-14 10:28 PM
Just finished a 2,000 mile trip in my LX 570 watch37 LX570 6 01-26-13 11:12 PM
Review: 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser mmarshall Car Chat 35 07-15-09 11:51 PM
LX570 a little dissappointing pagemaster LX570 148 02-20-08 02:38 PM
lx470 or buick enclave, sequoia or mb gl450?... rleggs LX470 and LX450 46 10-14-06 09:15 PM


Tags
2005, 3rd, add, cruiser, fold, gx470, independent, land, lexus, model, rear, remove, row, rows, rx300, seat, wont

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info