LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 off road capability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 09:18 PM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Now, we get to the juicy part of the discussion because it is pretty clear that you don't have a clue about the G-wagen!

1. Why would i want to lock all 3 lockers and drive around in a circle off-road?? That would look retarded IMO! And NO, ATRAC is NOT close to a locker off-road...by you saying this, it is pretty clear that you have NOT had a vehicle with triple lockers and/or you have not gone far off pavement. Not even close.

However, if you have the "A-TRAC" from the FJ Cruiser or 2010 4runner Trail, then it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than CRAWL or ATRAC on your TLC/LX. The ATRAC on the TLC/LX (both TLC100 and 200) are more all-season traction control...not particularly aggressive enough for hardcore off-road use. On the other hand, the "A-TRAC" on FJ is for off-road use only and 4-LO only. So, it is super aggressive at clamping down a spinning wheel. This special A-TRAC is effective, but again, in a difficult rock climb or over tough terrain, NOTHING BEATS A LOCKER. Why?

ATRAC or A-TRAC is REactive. That is, your tires must ALREADY slip before it engages. And when a tire slips, that means that traction has already been compromise and the system is just playing catch-up. Momentum is potentially lost. A locker, on the other hand, is PROactive. You lock before going through terrain and the locker will insure traction before it is lost. THAT is a huge difference b/w the ATRAC and locker.

Oh yeah, G-wagen ALSO has ATRAC. So, i can unlock my lockers and be at the same "downgrade" level as you. Or i can just lock the center and rear diffs and still have steering control for most off-road situations. In fact, when off-roading, i usually lock my center and rear diffs most of the time. No problems whatsoever. In fact, my friends with Rubicons do this also.

2. My G500 has 8 inches of travel up front and 14 inches in the rear, confirmed by a user on the G forum. What do you have?

BTW, with triple lockers, suspension travel becomes of lesser importance. THAT is a huge benefit of lockers. Also, suspension travel is highly overrated...it is good for pictures (see Schotts on IH8mud), but of limited usefulness off-road.

Yeah, i have thick forged solid steel control arms...i think that i will trade that solid suspension components over travel anyday of the week, esp. with triple lockers. In addition, my control arms are attached to the SIDE of the frame...no clearance issues over rocks!

3. Sorry, but my G-wagen has been in production for over 30 years and there has been NO REDESIGN. When you design something right from the beginning, you don't need redesigns to fix issues. It is a time tested and proven all over the globe via civilian, commercial, and military use. Can you say that about TLC100 or TLC200 or TLC80?? Nope. The G-wagens are actually official wartime military vehicle that actually see the battlefield, not just for carrying food to the poor.

4. You better check again. Dude, the TLC100 control arms crack in Aussie backyard, ok! Geez!

Official stat to ponder: Toyota advertises that the TLC100 frame has maximum thickness of 3.2 mm. From Mercedes/Graz, "Up to 4-mm thick in places, the G-class frame is held together by more than 6400 weld spots. As well as that, it is surface-treated and waxed."

Not even close. Sorry to burst your bubble!

BTW, being small as the G is, it is actually quite vital for off-roading. Being a big SUV like the TLC/LX, this is a liability off-road.

5. Upgrade? Why? The G-wagen is ALREADY equipped for off-road abuse from the factory. All you need are good tires of your choice. Does your TLC100/200 have a rear diff breather tube extension that any PROPER off-road vehicle should have?? No. The next time you look at a G, take a look under the hood and see if you can locate the FOUR breather tube extensions and it is all the way at the very top of the engine bay. Don't look but the Tundra has a much stronger rear axle! (That is depressing IMO.)

BTW, the simple geometric design of the G-wagen parts was done so that anyone can make replacement pieces, whether you're in Beverly Hills or in Afgan hills.
Ok First things first......dont tell me i dont offroad becuase i have different opinions......its not cool.....and just prove that i do offroad and do have two UZJ100Ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCm4pYauMCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unA4YWXGTPc

Our green LX is the boat hauling road queen.....the blue one not so much. i have more pictures of me wheeling, just not on the web. My videos on youtube are mostly me filming my friends, but i was wheeling my LX with them too so...

You obviously dont know much about ATRAC or Landcruisers. The 100 series was the first Toyota to use ATRAC, which is specifically for offroad use, the FJC and 4th gen 4runner both used generation 2 ATRAC which had second wheel speed sensor and reacted to wheel slip instantaneously rather than allowing the wheel to slip, the 200 series now has generation 3 ATRAC which is even faster and smoother than the previous versions, it also has Crawl COntrol which i could honestly care less about. ATRAC gives you drivability that that rivals a locked setup, its not as good as locker, but it does give them a run for the money.

my point about triple lockers and turning is that they seriously limit your turning ability, which is important on tight trails, they have down falls and are not the be all end all for offroading, at least not anymore. Also i would like to point out that in other markets the 100 was available with a rear locker as well, and the 105 had solid axles front and rear and was triple locked.......Toyota has noticed that 99.9% of US buyers could care less about offroading.

I have the same amount of travel as you front and rear, i could get N74L shocks and gain 2 more inches of travel on the rear if i wanted to. Also you point about about travel vs. lockers is a double edged sword. Yes lockers get you far, but if your not flexing to keep the body level then your going to flip. And one more thing Schotts has triple lockers on his 100 too.....

Could you please show me a picture or link to a cracked 100 series control arm?

Lastly in regards to upgrades and breathers. All the breathers (front diff, tranny, t-case, and rear) on both of 100s are extended to higher locations from the factory......on the other hand the FJC that you think is more "hardcore" does not have extended breathers from the factory.....my best friend has one and i almost bought one. Also, you dont need to get a lift to correct for the ride minimal ride height loss due to aftermarket bumpers, all it takes is an adjustment of the torsion bars up front and spring spacers in the rear. Also CV leaks are not a big deal on landcruisers.....its part or regular maintence to check and maintain cv joints, just like its important to check the bearing and seals on a solid axle.

Final point,

If the G is as great and well built and awesomely unstoppable as you say its, then how come the UN, Nat Geo, and countless other agencies and just regular people whos lives depend on their vehicle in the middle of nowhere, in Australia, the middle east, and Africa choose Landcruisers over the G?

There are pictures like the military G you posted of landcruisers too, im just too lazy to post them...........i also found VW touareg with a turret and an olive drab paint scheem
Old 04-19-10, 10:17 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I am a G-wagen fan.

But, Thai, I'm not going to argue with you simply because it's pointless. Rather, I'm going to ask you questions about the G-wagen since this could actually be beneficial to someone.

Why are the rocker panels so low on the G? Yes, the approach and departure angles are much better than an 80/100/200 but the wheelbase is the same length for the G-wagen as the Land Cruiser. It is most often the area between the wheels that gets hung up. And by low, we are talking like 4" lower. Add sliders and it gets really bad.

Honest question. Why is the roofline so high? Raises the center of gravity. The only reasons I can think of are aesthetics or so soldiers can wear their helmets while driving?

A big problem for me is the ability to modify the G. Out of the box, it is a good rugged vehicle maybe best suited for overland use. But there is no denying extra ground clearance and larger tires would make it a more capable off-road vehicle.

What does it take to properly run 35+" tires on a '02+ G-wagen? Looks like I would need to lower the control arms mounts to where they are "exposed" as well as the panhard rod mounts. A 2-3" lift springs could be tough to get. Does anybody make such? Proper gearing... AFAIK, is only made from MB and could take awhile to get as well as costly. After installing 35's, will the computer freak out? What about fitting 37's? That is pretty easy and common size on LC80's.

Last question, who will I turn to if I am at a remote location and need parts/repair for my G-wagen? There is only a small group of enthusiast that actually take their G off-road. The main reason is because it is cost prohibitive for most people to abuse a G.

These are all important considerations when choosing an off-road vehicle. Don't you think?
Old 04-20-10, 05:57 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PMan
You obviously dont know much about ATRAC or Landcruisers.

reacted to wheel slip instantaneously rather than allowing the wheel to slip,

my point about triple lockers and turning is that they seriously limit your turning ability, which is important on tight trails,

Also i would like to point out that in other markets the 100 was available with a rear locker as well, and the 105 had solid axles front and rear and was triple locked.......Toyota has noticed that 99.9% of US buyers could care less about offroading.

Also you point about about travel vs. lockers is a double edged sword. Yes lockers get you far, but if your not flexing to keep the body level then your going to flip. And one more thing Schotts has triple lockers on his 100 too.....

Could you please show me a picture or link to a cracked 100 series control arm?

Lastly in regards to upgrades and breathers. All the breathers (front diff, tranny, t-case, and rear) on both of 100s are extended to higher locations from the factory......on the other hand the FJC that you think is more "hardcore" does not have extended breathers from the factory.....my best friend has one and i almost bought one. Also, you dont need to get a lift to correct for the ride minimal ride height loss due to aftermarket bumpers, all it takes is an adjustment of the torsion bars up front and spring spacers in the rear. Also CV leaks are not a big deal on landcruisers.....its part or regular maintence to check and maintain cv joints, just like its important to check the bearing and seals on a solid axle.

If the G is as great and well built and awesomely unstoppable as you say its, then how come the UN, Nat Geo, and countless other agencies and just regular people whos lives depend on their vehicle in the middle of nowhere, in Australia, the middle east, and Africa choose Landcruisers over the G?
Instantaneous you say? See your 2nd video...time 4:20 mark. Instantaneous? And if that ditch was pointed uphill, trust me, you will have more issues. The point is that ATRAC has to sense slippage before it can act. And, by that time, momentum is lost...and this is most telling when you see a LX going up a rockledge. I have seen it. My brother has an '01 LX470 and has gone off-roading with us.

And when ATRAC does engage, it does it in a pulsatile manner. That is, it pulses the brake on the spinning/slipping wheel. It is not a solid braking of the spinning wheel for a length of time. So, you get this lurching back and forth as the torque is sent to the wheel with traction in a pulsatile manner. This wastes time and momentum. And, as Toyota specs indicated, there is a "time limit" on how long ATRAC will work "continuously" before the brake system overheats. I think that, for the TLC200, the time limit is around 12 minutes...and this is for the TLC200...that time limit may even be less for the TLC100! Not exactly hardcore.

And this is why i think that "A-TRAC" option on the FJC and 2010 4runner Trail is better. I have seen it in action. It is much more aggressive than my brother's LX ATRAC and 4th gen 4runner ATRAC. It clamps the slipping wheel faster and longer. As expected, it is operational ONLY in 4-LO and thus a pure off-road tool. The other ATRAC systems are more for mild off-roading and all-season traction.

Other markets have solid axles and rear locker because they need it. ATRAC on the US models is a major compromise. So, yeah, thanks for proving my point with the video AND mentioning other markets.

FYI, on the trails, i usually lock the center and rear diffs. So, my turning radius is still decent...more than enough for off-roading. You seem to think that, before ATRAC, everyone who off-roaded only goes in a straight line!! And YES, lockers are the end-all in off-roading. Go to any off-roading competition and you will see what i mean.

And, lets not forget, my G also has ATRAC when my lockers are not activated. So, either way, your argument holds no water.

Shotts has lockers...why do you think that is if ATRAC is so great??

I think that you need to actually drive off-road with a fully locked vehicle...trust me, once you have, you won't want to go back! Rent a Jeep Rubicon and see how easy it is to off-road compared to your LX. (Yeah, i know that the Rubicon is smaller etc...but my point is that TRACTION is in a whole other league when it comes to a fully locked vehicle.)

Search IH8MUD for cracked control arms...there was plenty of discussions about it. I have not been on there in a long time.

You better check your rear diff. Your rear diff does NOT have breather tube extension. It ONLY has a breather cap on top of the axle. Check it out for yourself. Toyota does NOT extend the rear axle breather on any of their SUVs/trucks.

According to Toyota (horse's mouth), FJC is now Toyota's MOST CAPABLE SUV. Here ya go:

"The 2010 FJ Cruiser, the most capable off-road SUV in the Toyota line-up, will feature several upgrades, including dual VVT-i and roller rocker arms on the 4.0-liter V6, which add 19 horsepower and a one mpg increase...."

What does that tell you?

Yeah, ok, CV leaking is part of the maintenance...ok....

Actually, Australian army has recently made the G-wagen their military vehicle of choice. I forgot that...thanks for reminding me! Oh yeah, those UN folks abuse their vehicles a lot more than the actual army on the battlefield! Those darn troops' lives in Afgan or Iraq are not in danger at all compared to those UN ambassadors!
Old 04-20-10, 06:13 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoser
Why are the rocker panels so low on the G? Yes, the approach and departure angles are much better than an 80/100/200 but the wheelbase is the same length for the G-wagen as the Land Cruiser. It is most often the area between the wheels that gets hung up. And by low, we are talking like 4" lower. Add sliders and it gets really bad.

Honest question. Why is the roofline so high? Raises the center of gravity. The only reasons I can think of are aesthetics or so soldiers can wear their helmets while driving?

A big problem for me is the ability to modify the G. Out of the box, it is a good rugged vehicle maybe best suited for overland use. But there is no denying extra ground clearance and larger tires would make it a more capable off-road vehicle.

What does it take to properly run 35+" tires on a '02+ G-wagen? Looks like I would need to lower the control arms mounts to where they are "exposed" as well as the panhard rod mounts. A 2-3" lift springs could be tough to get. Does anybody make such? Proper gearing... AFAIK, is only made from MB and could take awhile to get as well as costly. After installing 35's, will the computer freak out? What about fitting 37's? That is pretty easy and common size on LC80's.

Last question, who will I turn to if I am at a remote location and need parts/repair for my G-wagen? There is only a small group of enthusiast that actually take their G off-road. The main reason is because it is cost prohibitive for most people to abuse a G.

These are all important considerations when choosing an off-road vehicle. Don't you think?
Yes, the rocker panel on the G could be higher. From my measurements with 265/70/16 tires (stock size):

ground to frame is 12.7"
ground to my sliders is 13.7" (if i had stock running boards, it is 13")

My G now has 32" tires. So, if anything, i would hit my frame before my rocker panel unless i was wedged against a rock sideway. So, yeah, i would not be sad if my rocker panel was higher, but i can live with 13.7" (or 14.2" now with 32" tires). I have mashed on my sliders without issues.

The G is higher for a reason i am sure. I don't know exactly why, but it sure has tons of headroom. In a BOF, most of the COG is at the frame level anyways, right?

I have not had the need to go to 35" tires. There are some folks who have done it on the G forums...you may want to ask them. Are we talking about TLC100 or TLC200 or TLC80?? Do we have to bring up the weak frame of the TLC80?

If you feel that it is cost prohibitive, then you probably should not own one nor off-road with one. I think that it is cost prohibitive too to off-road a TLC200 or LX, right? Where can you get the hydraulic suspension besides Lexus? Or how about KDSS repairs? And don't the TLC100,200,etc have tons of electronics too? And the TLC200 now costs the same as my G500 did in 2004. Inflation sucks.

If you really want to talk costs, then why don't we all get Jeep Rubicons?? Or a Suzuki? That is like saying...why buy a Ferrari when you can buy a Civic and put a turbocharger on along with coffee can exhaust?

Hoser, you make good points, but you are bias and do not see that much of your cost points also apply to the TLC/LX.
Old 04-20-10, 06:30 AM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Im going to go with Hoser on this one.

Ill be the bigger man and let it go, you win, I dont have the time to continue this arguement.

One question though, why are you on a Lexus forum if you dont have a Lexus?

you are bias
and your not??

Last edited by PMan; 04-20-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 06:47 AM
Hoser
Driver

My G now has 32" tires. So, if anything, i would hit my frame before my rocker panel unless i was wedged against a rock sideway.
But most rocks aren't flat. And usually, you put your tire over the larger rocks... and so clearance over the rockers can be more important than over the frame.

I didn't say it was cost prohibitive for me but rather the general public and therefore only few enthusiasts in the US. With enthusiasts come parts availability, knowledge and support... as you have seen with any Jeep/Tacoma/Samurai. However, I too prefer not to pay $800 for a single axle R&P gearset, $500 for a single window regulator, etc.

The Toyota electronics have actually been rock solid except the electronic suspension components. But I don't think any serious enthusiast would rely on those anyway. Fortunately, there is an option to not have it. Just buy the LC version.

I'm not really into the idea of modifying a vehicle into something it is not but support goes a long way and it is nice to customize a bit to your own tastes. You can have an awesome race car but if your pit crew sucks, you're gonna lose the race.
Old 04-20-10, 07:28 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by PMan
Im going to go with Hoser on this one.

Ill be the bigger man and let it go, you win, I dont have the time to continue this arguement.

One question though, why are you on a Lexus forum if you dont have a Lexus?

and your not??
Bigger man? Ha...you're the one who resurrected this 2 year old thread...and now, clearly showing your limited off-road experience. You actually thought that you had a breather tube extension on your rear axle??!! Dude, learn about YOUR vehicle FIRST, then talk about other vehicles. Driving through ditches and mudholes are not that hard IMO.

I have been on CL for a long time...because i like Toyota and Lexus.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-20-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:35 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoser
But most rocks aren't flat. And usually, you put your tire over the larger rocks... and so clearance over the rockers can be more important than over the frame.

I didn't say it was cost prohibitive for me but rather the general public and therefore only few enthusiasts in the US. With enthusiasts come parts availability, knowledge and support... as you have seen with any Jeep/Tacoma/Samurai. However, I too prefer not to pay $800 for a single axle R&P gearset, $500 for a single window regulator, etc.

The Toyota electronics have actually been rock solid except the electronic suspension components. But I don't think any serious enthusiast would rely on those anyway. Fortunately, there is an option to not have it. Just buy the LC version.

I'm not really into the idea of modifying a vehicle into something it is not but support goes a long way and it is nice to customize a bit to your own tastes. You can have an awesome race car but if your pit crew sucks, you're gonna lose the race.
Good points. I still think that KDSS is kinda expensive to repair...and it also hangs pretty low too.

Do you know how high the rocker panel is on a stock TLC200 or TLC100?? Honestly, i would like to compare that to my G. My measurements are as above.

Also, window regulator is not a big deal. If you want to bring up those things, then how about TLC100's exhaust manifold cracks which is at least $1000 EACH to repair. Starter issues? And both of these issues happen on most LX before 100k miles, right? I much rather have my window regulator fail than those things! See, i can bring up minute details too.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-20-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 08:06 AM
Hoser
Driver

Did not intend to nitpick. Just looking at the cost of parts that might need to buy if I chose to pick up a G500.

I do not know the height of the rocker panel on a stock LC100/200. Most remove the running boards and add lift/tires at the same time so there is only a small window of time to measure.

Maybe the G's rocker panels aren't as low as it looks... could just be an illusion since the vehicle is so squared off... and the fact that few of them are ever lifted.
Old 04-24-10, 11:58 PM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

awesome thread
Old 04-28-10, 01:19 PM
LexusLX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As they say " a picture is better than 1000 words''

An I have a link for you;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...the-dunes.html

Trust the LX, it's a monster on the dunes.

Last edited by LexusLX; 04-28-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 04:50 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I love these old threads where people argue the benefits of their vehicle compared to another's. Got to add. Never owned a G wagon but have owned a lot of Mercedes. I lived in Maui for many years, had a MB and the service manager and I were talking about a G Wagon sitting out side. I told him I had heard they were really great vehicles. He said they were if you were Ophara. Said she had 4 of them, one of which was the one I was referring to outside. He said that he thought they had replaced every part on all 4 of them over the last several years. Said they were the worst automotive money pit he has ever come across.
Old 01-02-15, 04:15 PM
ghantoot2
Rookie

Default off road

Hi,

I wanted to share some thoughts, i am considered as a professional off roader as i am a member of an off road club that is based in UAE, sand dunes here are extremely high. Can get as high as 8 to 10 floors bluiding.

My main off road cars are jeep wrangler and FJ cruiser, which holds pretty good.

I often take my lx570 offroading, believe it or not, it has potential, i got it stuck few times where it is extremely difficult to tow it out, but the crawling system worked like a champ, got the truck out with no swea .
Old 02-07-15, 08:57 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

How did you come to THIS lofty conclusion?! I can name a few vehicles that will blow the doors off the LX570/TLC off-road.

The Land Cruiser has one advantage over LX570...KDSS suspension is valuable off-road. The electronic X-linked suspension on the LX570 is beneficial ON-ROAD only.

However, the LX570 does come with electronic air suspension to raise it up and down, which the Land Cruiser does not have. This does help off-road because the current LX570 and TLC are low to the ground.

It is unfortunate that Toyota/Lexus has shorted Land Cruiser owner by not offering air suspension on the TLC. The previous gen TLC came with air suspension as an option in 2006.

Toyota is advertising Land Cruiser as the "off-roader" between the two and the LX as the "luxury cruiser". This explain why it gave TLC the KDSS suspension and the LX the X-linked suspension. But Toyota should have given the TLC the air suspension to complete it's off-road capability. In the end, i do not think that off-road capability is the main focus of the TLC/LX...that has fallen on the shoulder of the FJ Cruiser.
LX570 does not have a air suspension. it's electric controled hydraulic system using nitrogen filled adjustable shocks to change ride characteristics. It's more then just an air suspension like a Mercedes GL.

Last edited by Max707; 02-09-15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 12:18 PM
ghantoot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max707
LX570 does not have a air suspension.
How did u cone up with the idea that kx570 doesn't have air suspension.

I still beleive that kx570 is the best.

Quick Reply: LX570 off road capability?