LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

4.7 vs 5.7...thoughts and opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 01:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 vs 5.7...thoughts and opinions?

This weekend I got to spend a lot of wheel time with the new Tundra- extended cab, 4x4, Limited, 5.7L V8. This summer, I also had a few weeks with a 2006 LX 470 and loved every second of it.

After some seat time with both engines, I have come to the conclusion that aside from power, I think the 4.7 is a better motor. The 5.7 is loud, rhaspy and always sounds like it's working very hard. The 4.7 though, feels and sounds like running a hot knife through butter without a vibration or rise from under the hood, no matter how hard you push it. The 5.7 is no where near as smooth or refined as the old unit, and that is sort of concerning when it's about to be dropped under the hood of the most expensive Lexus model.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 12-31-07, 02:34 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Remember, the Toyota tundra likely does not have as much sound insulation as the LX470. The sound may be better in the LX simply because it has better sound insulation. Therefore, you have to wait to testdrive the Lx570 to really compare apple to apple.

Other than that, the 5.7 V8 is a monster with the latest technology. Hopefully, the powertrain will be flawless over the next year or so.
Old 12-31-07, 07:50 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
After some seat time with both engines, I have come to the conclusion that aside from power, I think the 4.7 is a better motor. The 5.7 is loud, rhaspy and always sounds like it's working very hard. The 4.7 though, feels and sounds like running a hot knife through butter without a vibration or rise from under the hood, no matter how hard you push it. The 5.7 is no where near as smooth or refined as the old unit, and that is sort of concerning when it's about to be dropped under the hood of the most expensive Lexus model.

I kind of noticed this as well. I am not engineer but I am sure that when a engine makes more power and torque then it is much more difficult and costly to reduce vibration and noise when all things are considered like comparing a v8 to v8 or v6 to v6. Another thing that I noticed is that the Lexus Lx470 states in my book that premium fuel is recommended for optimal performance so I am sure that the Tundra was running regular.

Remember, the Toyota tundra likely does not have as much sound insulation as the LX470.
This is true but I drove a crew max 5.7 Tundra and then drove my 4.7 tundra and I noticed the smoothness and vibration difference.

It is simply possible that Toyota just didn't try to make the engine as smooth and vibration free as the 4.7
Old 01-01-08, 05:18 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Another possibility is that the 4.7 has an iron block vs. alum block in the new 5.7??
Old 01-01-08, 11:20 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

4.7 V8 in LX470 is made somewhere in Japan, and was designed from the get go for use in it's flagship SUVs, the '98 LX470/TLC. Quiet and smooth power delivery along with lots of low end torque were its highest priority. I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip in my GX cruising at 78-82 mph on the highway and the 4.7 was almost invisible - super quiet and smooth and almost always below 2,500 rpm. Every once in awhile I'd floor it just to hear the engine rev up a little, sounds pretty good as it approaches 4K rpm territory.

5.7 V8 on the other hand is made somewhere in Alabama, and was designed from the get go for mass production use in pickup trucks as well as SUVs. While I love the state of Alabama, I don't think it has earned the reputation of being master engine builders just yet. From what I've read it was rushed into production so Toyota could make a bolder statement with the intro of the new gen Tundra. I haven't driven one, but I'm guessing quiet and smooth power delivery were NOT it's primary goals. I heard a new Tundra a few weeks ago with some obvious aftermarket exhaust work done and I must admit it sounded "*****in"

In a nutshell, the 4.7 was designed to help Lexus defeat Range Rover (which it did), while the 5.7 was designed to defeat Dodge pickups equpped with Mexican made "HEMIs".

However, I agree with what Tigmd said - we should wait to see how the 5.7 sounds and feels in the similarly insulated LX570 before passing final judgment.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 01-02-08 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 01:10 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know the 4.7L one worked flawlessly for me for 10 years. Unlike some people on the board, I never experienced it 'lacking' power. So I'm happy to stick to it for a while.

Yes, I would rate it smooth and refined, having experienced against the Mercedes and BMW V8 engines.
Old 01-17-08, 01:28 PM
rspjr05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree - 5.7 is loud raspy and seems like working hard - see my thread - "First test drive"
Old 01-17-08, 02:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youre surprised an engine thats 1 liter bigger, produces a significantly higher power and torque numbers is louder?
Old 01-17-08, 05:36 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Personally I am surprised. I don't see a linear correlation here, one of the HP/size vs noise. My 1L 3-cilinder Honda engine was not quiter than the 4.7L V8.

Both engines are V8, similar size (1L give or take does not make that much of a difference IMHO). I would think the difference is in the engine design and construction, etc etc. I also know that the newer 2006 LX470 engine is a tiny bit harsher than the older 98. I attribute it to the different valve section. But who knows what the real reason is.
Old 01-23-08, 03:08 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This weekend I got to spend a lot of wheel time with the new Tundra- extended cab, 4x4, Limited, 5.7L V8. This summer, I also had a few weeks with a 2006 LX 470 and loved every second of it.

Yes I have thoughts on this for sure.

How could you compare the 4.7 in a LX470 and the 5.7 in a Tundra?

I know it is only natural for those with the LX470 to be protective of their vehicle. I know as I have owned four LX470 units and they are fine. How many years has Lexus had to work the bugs out on the LX470??? Sorry but it was time for Lexus to move on!

I have only had my LX570 for a little over a week and I admit that the motor is a little louder but once at highway speed, the LX570 is FAR superior, yes I say FAR superior in ride and comfort and yes is more quiet! Road and tire noise is down to "hushed" on the 570 and there is little doubt the 570 will be a big hit.

Do you really think it is fair to compare engine noise and smoothness between the Tundra and the LX570? Good Grief!
Old 01-23-08, 03:41 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

"I know it is only natural for those with the LX470 to be protective of their vehicle."

You think? I don't know, I was really looking forward to the next generation.
Old 01-23-08, 03:45 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Alex, come on, you love your LX! Nothing could match it! Hell, even with potentially $3000-5000 maintenance cost on the LX before 100,000 mile mark, you still say that it's cheap to own!
Old 01-23-08, 04:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm i wonder if it would be better for the tundra to be made in japan, well for the consumer anyways, not toyota
Old 01-23-08, 07:26 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Thai,

since I do 99% of my maintenance myself, I am not too familiar with the high cost of maintenance you mentioned. You might be right, I did not see it with my previous 470. And did not see it with the previous 450 either. I did not see it with my ex G for the same reason, though it needed more of it

I sure love the 470, would love to say the same about the 570. Especially since its cost is going to be 15% less here in Canada versus the 470. So I could not go wrong But as I mentioned before, I'm not convinced yet that I like the direction Toyota took with it. I might revisit the G, or RR at this point. Especially since my wife 'surprised' me today, nicely damaging the side of the truck getting out of parking . Now, this is going to be expensive, much more so than mentioned 5k in maintenance over quite a few years.
Old 01-24-08, 07:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by AKoch
"I know it is only natural for those with the LX470 to be protective of their vehicle."

You think? I don't know, I was really looking forward to the next generation.
I and others have been waiting for years for the new LX. There is nothing Lexus could do to calm the worries when you replace a vehicle like the LX470. It was and still is a great SUV with many loyal and happy drivers.

I, for one, am happy. A little more happy everyday I drive it. Given a chance others will like it, too. BUT, there will be some that will not like it, even before giving it a chance!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 01-24-08 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.7 vs 5.7...thoughts and opinions?