LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

VGRS/VSC TRAC/VSC off lights are on. No codes. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 04:39 PM
DaveN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VGRS/VSC TRAC/VSC off lights are on. No codes. What do I do?

2006 LX 470. My wife was driving and all three lights came on. I attached code reader and there were no error codes. Tried sending clear codes command anyway.

Vehicle is acting strange. Remote door locks won't work, can't lock all doors with key, AC doesn't keep settings after engine is off. No problems starting the vehicle.

Does anyone know what would cause this? What do I need to do? I want to avoid dealer but I would feel better if I had a clue as to what is going on before having it looked at by mechanic. Is it safe to drive?
Old 05-11-15, 09:35 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Was the ABS light or Brake light on as well?

Odd that it didn't throw a CEL code at the same time. There could be a number of culprits, including low brake fluid, a failing speed sensor, something with the ABS system, or worst case a failure of one of the computers.

Some of the 80 and 100 series Cruisers had another diagnostic port in the engine bay for wheel and brake diagnostics. Mine is on the passenger side on the firewall. There is a way to put a jumper wire on that port and see if you've got an abs sensor or wheel speed sensor that has failed.

If you think it's unsafe, you could/should take it to Toyota/Lexus and have it diagnosed. Or you could disconnect the battery and reset everything, and then see if the lights come back.

FWIW-my guess, since you didn't get a CEL code, is that it's a sensor issue on one of your wheels.
Old 05-11-15, 04:11 PM
DaveN
Driver

No other lights no codes with a Actron CP9180. Would something like an advanced code reader pick up codes? I know the Autel MD802 can clear codes on Mercedes that the Actron won't.
Old 05-12-15, 09:40 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Not likely. There is another diagnostic port in the engine bay for certain malfunctions. In my 80 it's on the passenger side near the firewall - it's a black port that usually has a cover on it that says "Diagnostics". You stick a wire (or paper clip in one slot of the port, and then jump it to another slot. When jumped, the lights will flash in the dashboard to provide you with an issue.

If you have an FSM, there are several pages with how to test and diagnose the different codes, which are displayed by flashing lights on the dash. There are a lot of electrical issues with sensors and circuits that are diagnosed this way.
Old 05-12-15, 09:43 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

This thread post has some of the pages from the FSM scanned.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/abs-.../#post-4305713
Old 05-25-15, 07:02 AM
DaveN
Driver

Had stealer diagnose. I was told that the passenger's mirror motor had a short that kept blowing one of 2 inline 20 amp fuses. They quoted $850 to repair by replacing mirror for $650 plus labor. When I checked parts price Lexus diagram shows that motor is available separately and online dealer sells for $146 delivered. When I asked local dealer why entire mirror was being replaced he stated that this is the part that the technician said is needed to complete the job. When I pointed out that the motor is a separate item there was silence on the phone.After being on hold while he was checking with the tech he came back and said that they could replace motor for $250 parts plus $100 labor but that they couldn't guarantee that changing the motor alone would resolve the problem. When I asked how a plastic and metal enclosure, the mirror housing, would affect a motor short he had no answer. Disgusted I told him that we would pick up the vehicle.

I called independent mechanic and he will replace motor for $40 unless he cracks mirror getting it apart. At least the dealer did not charge us the $106 diagnostic fee and we had a loaner while it was there. I also declined the $350 rear brake pad job instead buying oem pads and my guy will install saving me $$$.
Old 06-08-15, 05:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN
2006 LX 470. My wife was driving and all three lights came on. I attached code reader and there were no error codes. Tried sending clear codes command anyway.

Vehicle is acting strange. Remote door locks won't work, can't lock all doors with key, AC doesn't keep settings after engine is off. No problems starting the vehicle.

Does anyone know what would cause this? What do I need to do? I want to avoid dealer but I would feel better if I had a clue as to what is going on before having it looked at by mechanic. Is it safe to drive?
Many things can cause what happened on your wife's car.

On my '01LX I had the same dash lights and also no tail lights. Turned out to be the ground, brake wire, and tail light wire were shorted due to rubbing where they cross from the bottom of the tail gate to the body. A relative biatch to fix, but once fixed, no issues for the last 70K or so.

Steve
Old 06-14-16, 11:51 AM
mweber4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ended up being the fix for your LX470? My 2003 LX is doing the exact same things as yours.
Old 06-14-16, 02:26 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mweber4
What ended up being the fix for your LX470? My 2003 LX is doing the exact same things as yours.
If you're asking about my fix, it's in the post directly above yours. I basically had to cut out the bad wiring, make the wiring good, and stick it back in its plastic conduit from the tailgate to the body.

Extremely shatty design, and that's coming from somebody who's designed many wiring harnesses for very high performance flying machines. Yota could have done much better.
Old 05-09-20, 07:55 AM
dbs6000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

I'm having the same difficulty / problem.

I have also hit a hiccup after following the guidance on this thread.

Would anyone be so kind as to view my new thread as follows:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...on-t-lock.html

Please, please advise with any / all assistance.

Thank you very much!

My best.