LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2000ish LX470 Ignition Prob...IVE SEARCHED.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 07:09 PM
tRaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000ish LX470 Ignition Prob...IVE SEARCHED.

Hey guys,

...like the title states, I've already searched and know that this is a common problem in these vehicles of this year. I know that the little cam pin broke behind the cylinder. The new part was purchased and now reassembly is in the works...

**IM HOPING THAT PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE FIXING THIS THEMSELVES CAN CHIME IN.
My Problem:
-In this very helpful video,
, at roughly 10:25 the person says to align the camshift pin into the hole and turn clockwise 90 degress (which puts the brass piece at about 4 or 5 o'clock).
-NOW, my problem is...my dad swears that he tried this same exact configuration and it DID NOT work and the reason why it did not work was because the camshalf is already passed the point that it needs to be for the car to start when the key is turned...

My Question: Is this true??? or is he just hard headed and likes to do things his way?? Can anyone verify that their cam piece is configured exactly like the video (with having to turn the cam 90 degress after you insert into slot and the brass part at about 4 or 5 o'clock)?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-15-15, 08:35 PM
tRaw
Driver School Candidate

26 views, no replies? lol

Hey guys! how are you all doing?!
Old 04-16-15, 10:50 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's 11 pages worth of ignition fun on Mud. Maybe your answer can be found in there.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/busted-ignition.57050/
Old 04-16-15, 12:13 PM
tRaw
Driver School Candidate

dammit, I spent about 20 mins typing a response then go to post it and it disappears!! Fuuuuu!!!

Anyways, thanks for your response Jacket!! I really appreciate the help. I actually saw that article in the beginning when I was searching for answers. Theres a lot of info there but not specific to what I need to get this thing back up and running.

Here' a photo for reference:

In a nutshell: (A) goes into (B) and rotates accordingly so that (C) can be inserted into (B). (D) and (E) have to match so that you can turn the key and it'll turn the camshaft at the end of (A) and then will start the car.

My problem: cant get (A) rotated correctly so that (D) and (E) fit together in the right configuration. My dad has gotten everything fitting together many times but it wont crank/start the car when you turn the key...nothing happens. I just need to know the correct rotation for (A) so that (C) can fit ontop of it and it'll crank and start the damn car lol. In the video it suggests to turn (A) clockwise about 90 degrees and it should work. Tried it, didnt work (thats what my dad says). He swears that that position will not work because the cam is already passed the point where it needs to be to touch a certain "part" to start the car... HELP!
Old 04-16-15, 12:17 PM
tRaw
Driver School Candidate

Lol Wth...I tagged the picture with A,B,C,D,E but it didnt come up?

The part to the right is (A)
The part in the middle is (B)
The part to the left is (C)
The flat stick at the end of (A) towards the bottom of the pic is (D)
The back end of (C) has a slot to fit (D)