LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Key Turns Doorlocks Not Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 02:50 PM
dongoad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key Turns Doorlocks Not Ignition

2001 LX470. Key stem broke off at bottom of plastic; taped it back together several weeks ago and it works fine; purchased a new key shell, transferred pod to new shell; new key will turn in doorlocks and unlock doors and the buttons work OK, but new key will not turn in the ignition. Have sprayed WD40 inside ignition and inserted/removed the good key 30 times to loosen tumblers, then tried the new key but no luck. Car is firmly in park. Broken key turns ignition OK without moving steering wheel back and forth, but if I remove broken key, do not touch steering wheel, insert new key, ignition will not turn. Help!!
Old 01-03-14, 08:48 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to program the new key to work in the ignition. It is a multi-step process. The system will create a specified number of master keys and multiple valet keys. The source that sold you the new key should have the programming instructions. They are also in the vehicle repair manual.
Old 01-03-14, 09:21 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

I see you have a 2001. Here is info. Pay attention to the number of times the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are depressed within a time period.

2. REGISTRATION OF ADDITIONAL MASTER KEY
There are 2 ways for registration of additional master key, one way is depressing brake pedal and acceleration pedal and the other way is using LEXUS hand-held tester.
HINT:
 - It is possible to register up to 7 master key codes including the already registered key code.
 - When any operation time described below is over, registration mode completes.
- When the next procedure is performed while the timer is working, the timer completes counting time, then next timer starts.
- When replacing ”Ignition Cylinder Key Set” or ”Lock Cylinder Set” and register according to the following
procedure using the original master key. However, after the registration of the additional master key, as the original master key and the original sub-key is not necessary any more, so erase registration of those key codes.

1. Insert already registered master key in the key cylinder.
2. Within 15 sec, depress and release the acceleration pedal 5 times.
3. Within 20 seconds depress and release brake pedal 6 times; remove master key.
4. Within 10 seconds, insert new key in the key cylinder.
5. Within 10 seconds, depress and release acceleration pedal 1 time (Security indicator blinks).
6. After 60 seconds, additional master key is registered (security indicator off).
7. The registration mode completes when pulling out the key and depressing and releasing the brake pedal once or more within 10 secs. after indicator has been off or 10 sec. have passed.

You can register up to 3 sub keys (valet). Registration of Additional Sub Key:

1. Insert already registered master key in the key cylinder.
2. Within 15 sec, depress and release the acceleration pedal 4 times.
3. Within 20 sec, depress and release the brake pedal 5 times, and remove the master key.
4. Within 10 sec, Insert key to be registered in key cylinder.
5. Within 10 sec, depress and release the acceleration pedal 1 time. (Security indicator blinks).
6. After 60 seconds, additional sub key is registered (security indicator off).
7. The registration mode completes when pulling out the key and depressing and releasing the brake pedal once or more within 10 secs. after indicator has been off or 10 sec. have passed.

The process is relatively simple once you get the hang of it. I have done several of each on several vehicles.
Old 01-14-14, 05:31 PM
dongoad
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement Key Still Will Not Turn

Thanks so much for the reply;

I tried the brake & accelerator solution, but did not work. Was very precise about the staying within the time frames and number of times I pressed pedals; My source for the key (eBay locksmith with something like 2500 positive ratings) did not include programming instructions; only included how to change battery and how to replace the pod. And I looked in owners manual but could not find any programming instructions. Weird.

The replacement key DOES make the steering wheel drop just like the broken key does; BUT replacement key does NOT make the immobilizer light stop flashing when I insert key. And of course the key will not turn. I did not see a Security indicator blinking(or is that the same thing as immobilizer light?) Does that tell you anything?
Thanks so much LXPearl.
Old 01-14-14, 07:57 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

I pulled those instructions from the 01 Repair Manual. Does your key include the remote lock/unlock buttons? If not, you may have a sub key, in which case you will not be able to program another key. The RM has instructions for reprogramming everything, but you will need a master key to make it work. You can order a master key from Sewell that does not have the remote buttons for a reasonable price - it has black plastic. The valet (sub key) has gray plastic. The master has a longer shaft that will lock the glove box.
Old 01-16-14, 10:07 AM
dongoad
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is a master key with all 3 buttons; now I did not transfer the pod to the replacement key, so it is still in the broken key; I did not think it would matter; I figured car would not start but that the key would still turn; and I do not have the master key code or a flat key. Thanks.