LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

'99 LX470 rear end noise (thud)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 08:59 AM
faast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '99 LX470 rear end noise (thud)

Hey Folks,

It's a 99 lx 470 with 170,000 trouble free miles besides this new rear end noise

Taking off from stop or even when slowing down, there's a noticeable thud (noise/feel) coming from the rear end. Initially I was told by the mechanic it's the drive shaft, normal wear and tear, so keep on driving.

It seems like when he lubes the drive shaft the thud/jerk gets softer and less often but it's still there.

Today however, I brought the truck back and after him driving it he went back, took the drive shaft out and called me that though it's still all normal but if I want this taken care off, to buy the following parts which should/would fix it for good.

1)- 3rd member rear assembly (it's the ring'n'pinion & the gears) that's making the noise.
2)- Rear drive shaft

So my question is, has any one else experience this in their truck and where's the best place to source these parts new or used?

Thanks
Old 05-29-13, 07:43 AM
nicksheamd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faast
Hey Folks,

It's a 99 lx 470 with 170,000 trouble free miles besides this new rear end noise

Taking off from stop or even when slowing down, there's a noticeable thud (noise/feel) coming from the rear end. Initially I was told by the mechanic it's the drive shaft, normal wear and tear, so keep on driving.

It seems like when he lubes the drive shaft the thud/jerk gets softer and less often but it's still there.

Today however, I brought the truck back and after him driving it he went back, took the drive shaft out and called me that though it's still all normal but if I want this taken care off, to buy the following parts which should/would fix it for good.

1)- 3rd member rear assembly (it's the ring'n'pinion & the gears) that's making the noise.
2)- Rear drive shaft

So my question is, has any one else experience this in their truck and where's the best place to source these parts new or used?

Thanks
Similar problem with 2001. 119,000 miles. I asked service manager who said it was a common complaint in similar vehicles (Sequoia and Land Cruiser). He said it was the drive shaft loading. He indicated I should just live with it as there was really no downside.
Old 07-17-13, 07:47 AM
faast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks and can any one else fill it in here?
Old 07-20-13, 02:16 PM
RobRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive line thunk.

The drive shafts and props need to be lubed every 3500 miles (per FSM) which will reduce the "thunk".

The main culprit is wear, not only on the drive line, but other supporting components.

For example as I replaced sway bay bushing the thunk gets lessened. Replace rear control arm bushings the thunk lessens. Installed new front axles at 164k the thunk lessens.

The overall point is that unless you are prepared to overhaul a number of systems there will be some thunk in the driveline. There is no downside so nothing to fret over. Lubing the driveline is easy DIY and will smooth the thunk quite a bit.