LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

My search for LX470 continues... does this sound like a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 09:15 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My search for LX470 continues... does this sound like a good deal?

As some of you here know, i am looking to buy a good used older LX470 for winter family trips. My budget is somehow limited around $20k so finding a lower miles SUV in good condition is not easy.

I saw and test drove a 2003 LX470 with 89k miles on, fully loaded, in good condition. Visually it looks almost perfect - exterior and interior. No scratches, ding, cracks or other issues. The carfax shows one owner, no accidents and all maintenance done at Lexus dealer. It was well taken care of. Car drives fine, the Height control seems to work well ... i was able to raise and lower the car a few times. No warning lights. Lowering the car produced a slight but noticeable vibration/shudder. Not sure if this is OK.
This is the good.

The bad:
1. Tires are not matching. There are two Dunlop and two Bridgestone tires installed and they all show some minor cracks (old rubber). Needs 4 tires.
2. Drive belt is cracked - needs to be replaced ASAP, in my opinion. I am surprised the Lexus dealer did not replace it all this time.
3. Oil gauge stays at only one notch above the minimum. The needle does not point at the middle. Not sure if this is normal or not.
4. Timing belt was not replaced.

Seller (small dealer) is asking $24.5k out of the door. First he said that he is firm on this price, now he is asking me to make him an offer, after i told him that 24k is out of my budget.

What do you think? Is this a good price and if not, what would be fair number?? Should I be worried about the oil gauge or any of the other items listed above?

I also found a 2005 GX 470 with 107k, one owner, excellent condition, T-belt done, lexus maintained... private seller asking $20k for it.
This makes my decision even harder because i like the LX a lot, but it is older, needs some work/parts, has weaker engine and the dealer wants 24k for it. Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-12, 11:31 AM
Toddy45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would defintely buy the GX. If its in excellent condition and lexus maintained, it should be fine. I would ask about the history of the water pump on both cars though. My 05 LX470 with 80K miles had a damaged water pump about a week ago. It was about a $1,500 repair. Check out the tires too. Good luck!
Old 09-17-12, 05:58 AM
krye
Rookie

unless you need the room on the LX, I would opt for the GX. I have a 2000 LX and you will need to invest in tires, which could be up to $1000, timing belt and water pump for another $1K and likely will need a starter for about $800. Engine power is adequate for everything I do with my LX including trailering my friends 22 ft boat.
Old 09-17-12, 02:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...12486890&Log=0 if youre willing to ship, i would take a look at this. Its been on their lot for a while, but mainly due to the color i think, which really isn't bad. I looked at it and drove it when i went to school in Cleveland and it was really nice. I think it may need new tires soon though, but they are still usable. Its been there so long, they may be willing to drop the price. From what i was told by the sales person, this dealership specializes in shipping cars out of the country, mainly Russia because thats where a few of the sales people are from and i think the owner. He told me that this was meant to be shipped out, but since it wasn't black, no one bought it. There wasn't any real rust i remember and the body was in good shape as was the tan interior.
Old 09-17-12, 03:31 PM
Cbeeker
10th Gear

I have a 2006 GX470 with 90,000 miles, and would recommend it. Check water pump as it may have been replaced during the 90,000 service. Mine was, and I was told it is recommended since it is all apart for the timing belt 90,000 service.
Old 09-17-12, 04:48 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...12486890&Log=0 if youre willing to ship, i would take a look at this. Its been on their lot for a while, but mainly due to the color i think, which really isn't bad. I looked at it and drove it when i went to school in Cleveland and it was really nice. I think it may need new tires soon though, but they are still usable. Its been there so long, they may be willing to drop the price. From what i was told by the sales person, this dealership specializes in shipping cars out of the country, mainly Russia because thats where a few of the sales people are from and i think the owner. He told me that this was meant to be shipped out, but since it wasn't black, no one bought it. There wasn't any real rust i remember and the body was in good shape as was the tan interior.
DO NOT buy an older LX (or GX) that lived its life in a rustbelt state - such as this one. The salt eats these vehicles alive underneath and in hidden body locations (e.g. inside of tailgate). My dealer said that my 01 would need frequent service visits as all the components underneath slowly fail over the next few years due to corrosion issues. I had the corroded rear AC lines replaced and traded the truck in.

As for sending them overseas, the dealer I traded it to said that the overseas demand is now for 08s and newer.
Old 09-17-12, 06:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^That one isn't from Cleveland, its from Maryland. We have an 01 and rust is just going to town on it, specially the tailgate.
Old 09-18-12, 06:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
^That one isn't from Cleveland, its from Maryland. We have an 01 and rust is just going to town on it, specially the tailgate.
Per the CarFax report on the LX for sale in Cleveland, it spent it's life on Long Island, NY - not Maryland.
Old 10-13-12, 12:24 PM
Luxurimus
Driver School Candidate

similarly, I am looking into a deal very seriously. I will any appreciate any input.

2005 LX 470 1 owner; 125k on it. out the door asking $26k. All the service done in dealership incl timing belt/water pump etc and tires 80% new; no issues/faults noticed.
Above all, driven entirely in a state with no snowfall.

Is it worth looking into it? I 'm very much interested in LX only with limited budget in mind; to drive mostly during weekends for family getogethers.