LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Start issues resolved with oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 12:55 PM
toevlugsoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start issues resolved with oil change???

Please share your wisdom and experience!

We've had a little mystery going on.
We have a 2000 LX470 and bought it used in 2008 at 90K.
It's been doing pretty well.

On Sunday, it wouldn't start the first time - nothing, no clicks or engine sounds. We had to try again.
The next day, we had to try a couple of times, and so on.
We hadn't had the oil changed in a year, or even looked at to see the level etc. We knew it was time for an oil change and hoped that would fix the start issues.
However, it appeared to be an issue with the starter and the dealership diagnosed it indeed was the starter and we needed it replaced. A sticker shock quote of over 1K, however, made us reconsider and we took it home after the oil change they did.
The next day after the oil change, the car starts just fine the first time.
An independent mechanic told me that the car can sometimes detect a lower level of oil than it wants, and refuse the start easily in order to protect itself. Is this likely the cause and is it probably now resolved after the oil change?

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-01-12, 02:28 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you get the car home from the dealer ( I assume it started and was drivable)...I have heard that some older american cars, ie Chevy vegas, had this low oil level no start safety feature.........Not sure about lex..It might be a bad spot on the starter or dirty battery connections........ Always best to check oil level regularly...they recommend during a gas fill up...........I suggest you start the car a few times a day for a few days........Dont take any cross country trips in the near future...Hope this helps......
Old 03-01-12, 02:41 PM
toevlugsoo
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it was driveable after trying to start it a few times, and was having troubles starting in the morning. If driving it within a few hours, it would start fine. It was mostly the cold start.
Driving it home from the dealership it was fine, but I knew the morning was the real test.
And indeed this morning it started perfectly the first time, for the first time in a few days.
Sounds like good advice to keep testing it.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-12, 05:37 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, might be a good idea to get the battery checked under a load test..........Could be the beginning of a battery going bad.............Auto zone, Advanced Auto and most other parts supply stores will test the battery and charging system for free
Old 03-01-12, 09:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If your battery is good, battery cables are tight, then I'd suspect your starter. Depending on how many start cycles you have on it (if it's low miles, probably lots of short trips), I've heard of starters failing as early as 85K mi but usually around 100K mi with daily use. I got the Lexus credit card and have accumulated enough points over the years that the timing belt change (90K) at the dealer was free.
Old 03-01-12, 10:35 PM
toevlugsoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
The battery was tested by the dealership and it was fine and the alternator was fine.
We are at 100,9XX miles so it is likely the starter, if it keeps happening.