LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Windshield... oem or aftermarket for lx 470...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 10:22 AM
lx470doc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Windshield... oem or aftermarket for lx 470...?

Hi Folks. Thanks for so much info on the forum. I have a 2004 lx 470 (100K miles). Dont know how but, single long crack in front windshield. Company has accoustic internalization feature to reduce engine and outside noise. For replacement dealer service with OEM is $1800. After market "OK" windshield is 600 (no accoustic internalisation availabe after market). Any suggestions/ Any experiences....? Thx.
Old 02-01-12, 11:20 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried the aftermarket option two times (went along with the insurance company). Not sure why or if it is just my luck, but both cases it ended up being noticeably noisier (wind noise) versus the original glass. After that I always uses the OEM and it was fine. So personally I would not go with the aftermarket again.
Old 02-03-12, 06:59 AM
lx470doc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-07-12, 08:13 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do all OEM windshields made for the LX470 have the "accoustic internalization feature to reduce engine and outside noise?"
Old 02-09-12, 08:58 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife's windshield cracked, so after doing some research, it seems the Pilkington ones are the best aftermarket windshields for the 100 series (LX470/landcruiser). In NM, they don't have glass coverage like in AZ, so either it's $250 (comprehensive deductible) or $1300 for OEM. In AZ, the insurance company had to pay for 3 OEM windshields. They run $1500 now. If you get hit by a rock within an inch from the bottom or side edge of the glass, you are guaranteed to get a crack. Trust me, it's happened 4 times now to my wife's LX. First time, a rock hit 1" from the PS vertical edge, resulting in a 1.5 ft crack. Second time, a rock hit below the windshield wiper blades in the center, resulting in a 6" crack. Third time, a big rock hit in the DS center (okay, that time, it wasn't an impact near the edge). Fourth time, rock hit on the DS lower vertical edge, about 1" from the edge. The glass guy tells me when a rock hits the center, the glass actually flexes to absorb the impact. When it hits near the edge, the glass can't flex, resulting in a crack.

Toyota should have designed the windshield like on the LS, where the wiper blades are hidden under the back edge of the hood. At least this would eliminate the chance of a crack at the bottom edge of the windshield, leaving mainly the sides vulnerable. I've never had one near the top (top of the glass is sloped back more, more likely to deflect the rock. Anyways, call your local lexus dealer and ask who they have install windshields. My SM told me which company they go to. I called them up and they said I'd only have to pay the deductible, plus they have special pricing w/ your insurance company.
Old 02-13-12, 02:09 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oem - you know it will be installed right , this wasn't the case with the one and only $ 300.00 special i recently replaced . at least for me never again
Old 02-13-12, 09:49 PM
lx470doc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, All the factory windsheilds for lx 470 have the Accoustic internalization feature. How does a land cruiser windsheild fit in lx 470...? Any comments.
Old 02-14-12, 08:24 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

I understand the OEM night vision windshields are even more expensive.
Old 02-20-12, 11:12 AM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was night vision and as i recall it was $1700 installed. the actual benifit of the night vision is no doubt a seperate topic, they obviously learned something given that its no longer an option
Old 02-25-12, 03:35 AM
EricinSA
Driver School Candidate

That is what I have night vision... I better check my insurance to see how they cover OEM windshield with night vision. Maybe my insurance offers some added coverage for this type of windshield.
Old 04-11-12, 10:29 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the aftermarket and it is a MISTAKE! Don't do it unless you want some hassles. It is worth paying for the OEM. I am waiting for a stone on the highway to crack this aftermarket so i can replace it ;-)
Old 04-12-12, 05:10 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always get OEM. If the issuance does not want to do it, see if you can negotiate so at least they can take part of the cost and you pay the difference at least.
Old 06-22-12, 06:10 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Just got my fourth windshield installed and the first non-OEM one. The insurance company in NM won't pay for OEM glass, so it was either $1700 out-of-pocket for OEM or $250 for third-party. I figured I'd try third party since they gravel the roads during the winter here in NM. Based on reviews on the landcruiser forum, I went with Pilkington glass instead of PPG, as people have had issues w/ PPG. I inspected the replacement windshield before installation. It was optically clear (no blurring), had a bronze tint like the OEM, and designated places (w/ brackets) for the rain sensor and rear view mirror. The glass had pretty good thickness. I wasn't able to compare it to the OEM, but the thickness of the glass on either side of the plastic laminate sheet was respectable. Total thickness was probably around 3/16". It appears to be otherwise made to the same specifications (bronze tint, black border w/ the black dots, fit, etc). I went with a glass company that performs the installations for the local Lexus dealer so they are familiar with the rivets and dissassembly of the headboard and A-pillar. I also had them use OEM moulding pieces, rivets, and rain sensing tape, which they ordered through the local dealer. The vehicle was ready in 2 hrs. I drove it home on the interstate going 75mph...no whistling sounds, no rattles, vehicle is as quiet as before with the OEM glass. I can't wash it for 2 days, but will test out the rain sensing wipers after that. So far, so good.

The windshields are very specific down to the VIN. Even a late '03 LX windshield won't necessarily fit on my early '03 LX. Even when I ordered my OEM windshields through the dealer, they had to go by the VIN, as there are multiple different part numbers for the same model year! Ditto with this Pilkington...they had to go off the VIN.
Old 06-25-12, 05:44 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim, keep us posted. I hope it all works well. I still have problems with my replacement windshield.
Old 07-09-12, 07:27 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

So far, so good. It poured rain for 200 miles on the way back from my road trip last weekend...windshield was water tight, rain sensing wipers worked perfectly. I have to note that the shop says they normally do NOT replace the rain sensing tape (meaning you get none on the new glass, meaning the rain sensing wipers won't work). Since this is my 4th windshield, I new it had to be replaced each time, so I specified they replace it along with OEM mouldings and rivets. I have to say, so far, the only difference I can tell between this Pilkington and the OEM made in Japan Asahi glass is there is no Lexus emblem on it and it doesn't have the made in Japan sticker on it. It even has the bronze tint to match my other windows. Definitely worth $250 (so far).

Quick Reply: New Windshield... oem or aftermarket for lx 470...?