LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Owner... New Info!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 10:14 PM
Pool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New Owner... New Info!

Hey all, just bought my first Lexus ('99 LX470) and what else can I say.... WOW. They just won me over. I also have a Ford Expedition and a '94 Legend. I think that the Legend is going to go away and I will replace it with a GS400.

And here it is:

I looked all over for a tutorial on changing the cabin air filter and couldn't find one, so here is my first contribution:

Step1:

Use a screwdriver OR an 8mm wrench or socket to remove the two (2) screws holding the glovebox in place.

Step2:

Once the glovebox is removed remove the little 'access panel' that holds a relay and push it back through. This panel needs to be removed to get to the filters (yes, there are 2).

Step3:

There are three (3) screws that hold this plastic panel in place, remove them and gently pull the panel off. Be careful on the right side, the light for the glovebox is there and you need to disconnect the wire so that the panel will be free to remove.

Step4:

You can now see the access panel to the filters. There are two little 'tabs' that you squeeze and the cover pops off. You can now see the two filters stacked on top of each other.

Here are the two FILTHY filters removed from the SUV.

Now just install in reverse order and you have saved yourself about $28 for installation (at least at my dealership).

I would really love it if we could all get some kind of buy going to get some discount on these filters.... they are outrageously priced!

Hope this helps some folks out!

Douglas Vanderpool (Pool) '99 Lexus LX470
Old 10-12-02, 10:39 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pool, I would like to personally congratulate you on your purchase. It sounds like you are very happy with your LX470.

If you would like to setup up a group buy for the filters, feel free to PM (Private Message) me anytime and I will be more-than-happy to assist you.

I believe your DYI Filter Change will prove to be very helpful with other LX470 owners.
Old 10-13-02, 12:14 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pool,

The 1999 LX470 seems to be the year we are looking to purchase as well. Did you buy it as a CPO, non-Lexus dealership, or from an individual?

Jayson
Old 10-14-02, 01:10 AM
LexFather

Pool, great looking LX! Great write-up! Bitkahuna went from a Legend to a GS 400, PM him for any questions you may have.
Old 10-15-02, 12:28 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Nice post on the DIY. I personally paid the $30+ Because i didn't feel like screwing stuff up. I can always take stuff apart but end up with leftovers when I put everthing together.
The rims you have look like 16's? You posted earlier that they were 17's. What kind are they and what size are your tires. Congrats on your new purchase. I love the mono-tone paint of the white paint.
Old 10-15-02, 01:11 AM
Pool
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LX470Mann
Nice post on the DIY. I personally paid the $30+ Because i didn't feel like screwing stuff up. I can always take stuff apart but end up with leftovers when I put everthing together.
The rims you have look like 16's? You posted earlier that they were 17's. What kind are they and what size are your tires. Congrats on your new purchase. I love the mono-tone paint of the white paint.
They are KMC 'Venom' rims. I don't think I personally would have picked them out, but I have to admit that I think they look really good on it.

Not positive on the width or offset, but they are 17's and the tires are 265/70/17 Michelin's.
Old 10-15-02, 02:38 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pool: Congrats on the LX470. You will be happy with the GS400, too.

Jayson: Other people, other opinions, but the extra $$$ spent getting a CPO Lexus is worth every penny. Even tiny repairs can cost huge, and IMO the Lexus dealership experience is one of the best parts about having one. And with the economy tanked, it's possible to wring a darn good deal now.
Old 10-15-02, 03:04 AM
Pool
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Jayson
Pool,

The 1999 LX470 seems to be the year we are looking to purchase as well. Did you buy it as a CPO, non-Lexus dealership, or from an individual?

Jayson
Believe it or not I actually bought it from a high end wholesaler in Dallas. I saw the car on Ebay, called the guy, did the 'Buy it now', and flew out there a couple days later to pick it up.

2 owner, 38K miles, all keys, manuals, and service records. It was bought new there in Dallas at Sewell Lexus.

So to answer your question, it was actually a dealer (non-Lexus) and it was NOT CPO, but I think the way I did it I saved a good amount of money.

I paid about 8k less than the 'local market' (more like 10 or 12k if it was a CPO) and I feel that was an exceptionally good deal considering the condition, color and additional stuff that was on it (I looked for about 6 months for this vehicle). I also saved a little on the tax end

Bought a Warrany Gold ext. warranty for 5yrs./150K miles for an additional 2k, so I feel like I have a brand new 470.

I really could not be any happier. Everyone who has seen it thinks it is brand new... it is nearly flawless. It truly drives nicer than any SUV (and most cars) I have ever been in. I can say that in my opinion there is no nicer SUV at any price... the other cool thing is that the 99's are so close in appearance to the '03 at a fraction of the price.