LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Differnces between LX470 and LandCruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 10:42 AM
Christian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differnces between LX470 and LandCruiser?

What are they? My dad plans to buy a LandCruiser for my Mum. Overhere in germany the Lexus is not available so I would like to know the differences. I believe the Diesel engine is not available in the US? It is a 4.2l with 204HP. You can also get the 4.7 over here but gas is too expensive for a car like that over here.

Thanks
Old 08-28-02, 11:37 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Lots of Wood!!!

Really though, the LX is just a more plush vehicle. I bought a used LX over a new LC and am very happy. I like the Quad lighting that the LX has and the gorgeous interior.
Old 08-28-02, 01:40 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This depends on the market you are in

In US and Canada LandCruiser Cygnus is called Lexus LX470. In Germany as far as I can remember Cygnus is not sold, only LandCruiser 100 (the one that in US is known as 'LandCruiser'). But in Germany you can get LandCruiser 100 50th Anniversary, which is the same vehicle as the Cygnus with the exception of the front/rear lights and the grill. You get the same interior, hydro-pneumatic suspension, navigation etc (and actually better leather then on the LX).

The other option is the import LX from say Canada, where it's optics is set to the same standards as in Europe. And temperature, speed and distance readings are that same as in Europe.

The only thing I am not sure of is what are you gonna be using this vehicle for in Germany. It askes for the real off-road. And it's needs a lot of fuel to do the autobahns.
Old 09-19-02, 02:39 AM
Garbage Gamer
Driver School Candidate

Angry

in the US, the difference in price is not even that big when you do your proper math...

according to carsdirect.com, 2002 model, initially the price difference is $8,536 ($57,061 vs $48,525 not including taxes)

but take the land cruiser and add options that are standard on the lx470; add roof racks, running boards, navigation, side airbags, wood dash, tow, and floor mats, and the difference now becomes $4,193

but the lx470 offers way more for the $4,193...

1)wood steering wheel (quoted $2000 at dealership... wtf?! )
2)wood and chrome transmission shifter ($200 at dealership)
3)power folding side mirrors with auto tilt down(not sure if this is available on L/C's)
4)AVS suspension with height control
5)6 disc cd changer (even on models without the mark levinson upgrade)
6)auto climate control (again... correct me if the L/C's have this)
7)memory seats (last one i'm unsure of)
8)lexus customer service
9)the piece of mind that you own a lexus instead of a toyota (granted they are the same company, one is established as a luxury car maker as opposed to a versatile car maker)

plus the leather in the lexus is more supple, and the wood trim more better and more abundant.

plus if you buy these used as i have, the price difference is so small, since the L/C is a 4x4 legend and hold residual value extremely well
Old 09-19-02, 02:58 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really like the Landcruiser but...

Originally posted by Garbage Gamer

according to carsdirect.com, 2002 model, initially the price [Landcruiser] ($48,525 not including taxes)
Wow for the price of an '02 Landcruiser($48,525+tax) you could buy an '02 GS430($45,409+tax[base vs. base]) :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder why Toyota's dropping the Landcruiser:eek: JK
Old 09-19-02, 11:21 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Default Re: Really like the Landcruiser but...

Originally posted by JAC JZS

Wow for the price of an '02 Landcruiser($48,525+tax) you could buy an '02 GS430($45,409+tax[base vs. base]) :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder why Toyota's dropping the Landcruiser:eek: JK
THE LANDCRUISER IS NOT GOING TO BE DISCONTINUED!!! UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF FROM AN EXEC. AT TOYOTA, AND NOT SOME MECHANIC. I read motor-trend/car and driver and they have never mentioned any plans to discontinue the legendary landcruiser. I still see many LC driving around. A popular vehicle. The weird thing is some pre-owned landcruisers are selling for more than pre-owned LX's of the same year and mileage. I never understood that one?
Old 09-21-02, 02:38 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Really like the Landcruiser but...

Originally posted by LX470Mann

THE LANDCRUISER IS NOT GOING TO BE DISCONTINUED!!! UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF FROM AN EXEC. AT TOYOTA, AND NOT SOME MECHANIC. I read motor-trend/car and driver and they have never mentioned any plans to discontinue the legendary landcruiser. I still see many LC driving around. A popular vehicle. The weird thing is some pre-owned landcruisers are selling for more than pre-owned LX's of the same year and mileage. I never understood that one?
It's gotta be a demand issue. For those serious off-road enthusiasts, the LX470 may get laughed at on the trail (because of it's posh image) unlike it's sister, the Landcruiser. Plus, with the locking differential in the TLC, it makes it a slightly better choice for 4x4 use. I personally like the colors of the TLC better than those boring ones from Lexus. Now, like a previous thread, Lexus has caught on and now offers some awesome colors on the '03. I just cannot see spending $60k for a fully loaded Land Cruiser and having to deal with the Toyota service department (not that they are bad, but they are nowhere near the level of Lexus). I'd rather buy a year old LX and get treated like gold at the Lexus dealership sporting around a "Lexus loaner" while they give my vehicle an oil change. <GRIN>
Old 09-23-02, 03:09 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default "For those serious off-road enthusiasts, the LX470 may get laughed at on the trail"

Usually it does not last long When a coulpe of stock TJs or GrandCherokees are stopped at by a ditch or a sand bank they can't make through and you give them a good tug on the LX they normally become much more sober.

Alex

PS I do go off-road quite a bit.
Old 09-23-02, 04:57 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey all,

First off, TLC does NOT have locking rear diff anymore! That option was last seen in 1999 model i think. TLC and LX470 now have A-TRAC (active 4-wheel traction control with locking center differential), along with VSC (stability control).

In fact, you can say that the LX470 is MORE capable than TLC because of one reason...Electronic height control. This feature (not available on TLC) increases approach and departure angles (not ground clearance). In addition, because the BODY is raised up (frame is same height), you are less susceptible to body damage.

Other than that, the TLC and LX470 are plenty capable...in fact, i would take the '03 LX470 over the new Range Rover anyday! The new 5-speed has a really LOW 1st gear (3.57 i think), which is pretty darn cool! If you add to that a 4.1 gear ratio and 2.49:1 transfer case, you have a pretty good crawl ratio!!

Of course, i am not too excited about the 18" rims...i think 17" is already stretching it.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-02, 12:20 AM
Jayson
Advanced

"First off, TLC does NOT have locking rear diff anymore! That option was last seen in 1999 model i think. TLC and LX470 now have A-TRAC (active 4-wheel traction control with locking center differential), along with VSC (stability control)."

Sorry to doubt, but I had to look it up at Toyota.com to make sure you were right and well, you are quite right about the locking center differential.
Old 09-24-02, 03:57 AM
Garbage Gamer
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Really like the Landcruiser but...

Originally posted by tigmd99
First off, TLC does NOT have locking rear diff anymore! That option was last seen in 1999 model i think.
i think all of the newer generation L/C's (98 and up L/C's/LX470's) lose the rear locking differential. i think toyota made them to have more road manners, and less trail abilities. thus, obtained a softer suspension, and lost the rear locking diff.

i suppose one can argue the added torque from the new V8 is a trail advantage, but the old flat 6 (not too sure) was sufficient enough, and it was time proven. that engine just keeps running strong.
In fact, you can say that the LX470 is MORE capable than TLC because of one reason...Electronic height control. This feature (not available on TLC) increases approach and departure angles (not ground clearance). In addition, because the BODY is raised up (frame is same height), you are less susceptible to body damage.
i think the LX470 at maximum height = the L/C's stock height.
LX470 height = 72.8 inches
LX470 height at raised position = 73.2 inches
L/C height = 73.2 inches

There is no advantages the LX470 have over the L/C when you are talking about off road capabilities. they are the same vehicle. one is just more adapt for comfort and convenience.

i could be wrong though
...in fact, i would take the '03 LX470 over the new Range Rover anyday!
nothing is more of an SUV status symbol than a range rover.
a british luxury truck, and one with quite a price tag.
it also comes from a company that only makes 4x4's with real off road capability.

too bad it breaks down very often (even it's new owner bmw is not too reputable). not as reliable as a toyota. and when you do take it to a shop, you have to pay for high $ labor and expensive british/german imported parts.

Originally posted by JAC JZS
Wow for the price of an '02 Landcruiser($48,525+tax) you could buy an '02 GS430($45,409+tax[base vs. base])... No wonder why Toyota's dropping the Landcruiser
this is the LX470 forums

if they drop the L/C, at least one of it's forms will still be on the market (L/C / LX470). internationally i know some live by the L/C for their reputation as reliable off road trucks.

besides, not much to compete with in this category.
Land cruisers, G-Wagons, Hummers, and Range Rovers being the truly off-road capable SUV's in a stock form.

but i have to admit, after owning an LX470 for 4 months, i'd rather own a luxury sedan now.

i used to own a jeep and i would do almost everything with that truck. take shortcuts by running over all types of curbs and objects, run into private and public gardens and parks to run over rocks and boulders, take it through muddy waters where the depth submerged part of the engine and got my interior messed up, and in times where i needed a locker i would use speed and aggression to get my truck through obstacles.

now that i own a LX470, i find myself even slowing down for speed bumps (which i used to run over at 35mph in my jeep).
i don't want to abuse nothing in the truck, even though i know it has a heavy duty suspension. i would even be reluctant to tow with it. i just don't have use for the 4x4 functions of the truck, i use it as more of as a car to just take me from paved road to paved road, just now arriving in style.

now that i find myself so concerned with my luxury trucks condition, i learned that a sedan will suit me so much better. when i drive the truck, i drive just to drive. i don't feel inspired by the road. i don't get the thrill to push my ride harder. not so in a powerful luxury car.

i might save some $$ and wait till the ls430's are like 3-4 years old with 60-80k mileage, then i might trade my lx470 for one.

Last edited by Garbage Gamer; 09-24-02 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-24-02, 10:09 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Garbage Gamer,

Please compare the more essential stats: breakover and departure angles between LX and TLC, rather than height.

Nope, before VSC/ATRAC, the '98-'00 TLC had an optional rear locking differential! Then when VSC/ATRAC came on board, the rear locker is no longer needed, thus went out the window. Only the Toyota Tacoma now have this option.

Unfortunately for Land Rover, all across the world, Toyota is the premier off-roading vehicles. The new Afgan president rides in a LX470! United Nations uses 4Runners. Africa safaries use Land Cruisers. Land Rover factories are now Toyota factories! Many people on those places much prefer Toyota vehicles due to very hostile environment (hot weather, rough terrains, etc.). Land Rovers break down too often to survive.

Of course, i like the LX due to it's reliability and toughness. The new Range Rover is UNproven itself. Why would i buy a British/Ford product?? Both are known for bad quality. BMW was the previous owner...and well, they are not known for their lasting qualities.

I will say this: there is no way (in heaven or hell) that an independent suspension can match a solid axle wheel articulation in off-roading!! Even with Range Rover's new cross-linking shocks. Just compare the wheel articulation on pictures of both vehicles and you will see!

Thanks.

Last edited by tigmd99; 08-16-05 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-24-02, 02:11 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default "nothing is more of an SUV status symbol than a range rover."

Sorry I come from Europe myself... and LandRover is just a not very good British vehicle known for not being very good off-road and very reliable, rather poorly designed. That 'status' thing is in the heads of some people (not many) and mostly on this continent and in the UK. Just wanted to let you know that if you want that 'status' - not a lot of people will look at you exactly this way, so so you can really realy go wrong Let's stick to the matirial and quatifiable things, I'd suggest.

And one more thing -- if you drive your LX as a luxury sedan - you are better off with a luxury sedan indeed. Don't think you should blame LX for this.
Old 09-24-02, 05:59 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Default Re: Re: Really like the Landcruiser but...

Originally posted by Garbage Gamer

i might save some $$ and wait till the ls430's are like 3-4 years old with 60-80k mileage, then i might trade my lx470 for one.
I'm right there with you. I love my SC400, but when it turns 10 years young in 2005, I'm trading it in for an '01 or '02 CPO LS430 with all the bells and whistles. By then I should be done with college and have my new home well established.
Old 10-13-02, 05:08 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Hey all,

Is the LX470 quieter than TLC?? I know that the new GX470 will have laminated glass and more insulation than the new 4Runner. I wonder if this is the same for the LX and TLC.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Differnces between LX470 and LandCruiser?