LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX to be Discontinued in 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 06:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LX to be Discontinued in 2005

Well this is from Automotivenews.com, a reliable source of information.
" LX 470: With not enough differentiation from the Land Cruiser and not enough size to compete with the big dogs in the luxury sport-utility segment, the LX 470 will be killed by Lexus in 2005. Replacing it will be a luxury version of the Sequoia, bowing in fall 2005, possibly called the VX 470. "

I knew they were discussing the Sequoia based VX, with by then, a new 5.4 liter V8, making it a VX540. So I guess it's all set and planned. The Land Cruiser seems to be gone too, as they have no future information on the Land Cruiser at all.

So if you like the LX size I guess you need to get the GX from now on, which isn't too much smaller than the LX anyways.
Old 08-26-02, 09:02 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The marketing side of getting rid of the LX and LC for the VX and Sequoia makes a lot of sense, but I just hate to see the legendary Land Cruiser gone
Old 08-26-02, 09:04 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't read that as the end of the Land Cruiser...Just the end of the LX.

Thoughts?
Old 08-27-02, 01:27 AM
Faheta
Driver

Default LX540

I'd hate to see the end of the Land Cruiser also but it doesn't make much economic sense for Toyota.

On a positive note, Lexus will continue to differentiate itself from the Toyota brand. Just check out the difference between the GX & the 4Runner. I'm pretty sure whichever platform the next LX sits on, it will be a worthy replacement.
Old 08-27-02, 05:48 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discontinued

Is a way too much a strong word. I'm not trying to predict Toyota by any means, but it's more like they might stop selling it in North America. You will still be able to buy it in Asia, Japan, Australia and Europe. Let's just hope they don't.

Land Cruiser is in a class by itself, and very very popular out here. It just does not exactly follow the model 'more car for less', in fact quite the opposite. I'm guessing this is why it is of a limited success here. But I can't really see Toyota discontinuing it's extensive line up of LandCuisers.

And also from what I could see the new GX is not based on the 4Runner (Hilux). Looks to me like it is LandCruiser Prado platform-based. This is a much nicer vehicle then 4Runner.

and I hate this 'Lexus' nameplate.
Alex
Old 08-27-02, 06:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Discontinued

Originally posted by AKoch

And also from what I could see the new GX is not based on the 4Runner (Hilux). Looks to me like it is LandCruiser Prado platform-based. This is a much nicer vehicle then 4Runner.

and I hate this 'Lexus' nameplate.
Alex
It's actually that the new 4Runner is based on the same platform as the Lexus GX - the Toyota Prado.
Old 08-28-02, 12:11 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default guys...

The Landcruiser is discontinued.......

What a shame, a car with a legacy like that.....

I would take a Landcruiser over a Sequioa any day. The Sequioa is nice....but it's got nothing on the LX/LC.
Old 08-28-02, 12:44 AM
GXS
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't think so...

Just one comment. Where do you find Sequoia's? ONLY in the USA. Where do you find Land Cruisers? ALL OVER THE WORLD!!! The Land Cruiser is not going to be discontinued.
Old 08-28-02, 12:48 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default sigh...

the landcruiser IS discontinued......

I promise you, don't make me make you feel dumb
Old 08-28-02, 02:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default Man...

I have long been a fan of Land Cruisers... I don't even remember where I first heard of them, but I just knew I had to get one. Back in 93 I was one of the first in the area to get a 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. Then, no one was driving these. Slowly, a bunch of my friends also got them, and pretty soon Land Cruisers were all the rage around here. Then Lexus brought out the LX's, which were also snapped up right away.

My 97 LX is still going strong, but I've been looking to upgrade. I am sure that Lexus is going to great lengths to make sure that the upcoming Sequoia based VX will be awesome. I've been waiting for it ever since I heard about the Sequoia. I would actually like a little more room than the LX offers.
Old 08-28-02, 11:34 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Francis, since when has the LandCruiser been disco?
http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/land_cruiser/
The new 03 LC.

As far as plans to disco the LC, and the LX, toyota has none. Both the vehicles are not designed to sell 50,000 units a month. They are designed to compete in that very high end classy SUV market. A person looking for a Seqoia is probably not looking for a LC/LX. It would be way out of their price range. The Seqoia starts at 35K. So a Lexus version would probably start at 45K. No one would pay 70K for a re-badged Seqoia, its just not possible.

So Francis where did you here the LC was disco?
Old 08-28-02, 04:07 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

LX470Mann, the Sequoia kept my family from purchasing an LX. My dad wanted the LX and Toyota/Lexus was the way we were going to go in an SUV...period. The Sequoia just had more room, the LX had less than a Tahoe. This was a big drawback, for them. The Sequoia has a newer platform, the same engine, etc, etc. It was basically a much cheaper for an excellent suv that has the room we need. Not to say that the LX doesn't have it's high points, mainly Luxury features, but it just wasn't big enough. Had it been Sequoia-sized, it'd be sitting in our driveway.
Old 08-28-02, 04:09 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

BTW, speaking of, the 2003 "refreshened" LX is up at Lexus.com too. Pretty cool upgrades!
Old 08-28-02, 11:56 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default well...

according to every worker for Toyota I have ever met it's discontinued.....I'll look it up for you when I have some time .

I promise you this is the last year.....
Old 08-29-02, 12:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default I don't know..

Francis, I highly doubt 2003 will be the last year. Toyota would upgrade the engine/transmission for just one model year. I do believe they'll let it go to 2004/2005 when they drop the LX for the VX. And by Toyota workers.. do you mean actual corporate people.. or just salespeople/dealer people?

Last edited by pbm317; 08-29-02 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: LX to be Discontinued in 2005