LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Help: Need a survey of LX470 owners having any engine noises upon cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 10:54 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Need a survey of LX470 owners having any engine noises upon cold starting

Hey everyone,

I seem to be having a problem with Lexus and the tech assist department. Can any owners post some documentation please.

99 LX470 with 75,000 miles.

Started last winter in Colorado. Engine knock when started in cold temps. Sounds like a diesel truck....ie knock, knock, knock....lasted for 30 seconds or so. We didnt leave the truck outside that often...but the noise was worse the colder the temps. I really noticed it when I had to move the truck in the driveway after a cold start....it sounded like a diesel. on accel....knock, knock, knock.

Ok, winter 2002 there were no abnormal noises heard...45k on the odometer.

Ok, winter 2003 it sounded like this with around 60k on the odometer.

10 degrees....it would make noise even at idle on start up.
20 degrees....less noise but could still hear it.
30 degrees....hard to tell, but if you put it in gear and loaded the engine it would knock.

Ok, fast forward to this year winter 2005 in Oregon with 75k on the odometer.

30 degrees...much, much louder knock....same knock as last year just louder at a warmer temp. Also, the knock will last for 2-3 minutes...or if you drive the truck it sounds like a constant knock, knock with engine speed. You can hear it outside, inside and all around the truck. Stand fifty feet away and listen as the truck takes off. Yes, you hear it just like a diesel truck taking off.

40 degrees....less knock noise that 30 but its very clear and lasts for the same 2-3 minutes.
50 degrees....I heard it this week on a cold start. Put the truck in gear and moved it in the driveway....there it was the diesel knock noise.

So, the trend is getting worse and I made the appt to have it looked/listened to. I had to leave the truck overnight. Got the call...and Lexus techs said could not duplicate. Ok, leave it again....same response. 3rd day I come to pick it up and take the techs out on a 49 degree morning. I start it, put it in gear and there is the knock. Two techs heard it....jumped out and listened. It lasted for about 2 minutes and the techs said they would have to call tech assistance. I told them that the noise was about a 3 on a scale of 1- 10 because it was farily warm that morning. Ok, now the round and around with Lexus customer service. Tech assist says its piston noise and normal. Lexus customer service says that the dealer is saying its normal piston noise. .....round and around general passing the buck.

So, I come to find out that the Tundra/ Sequoia group have been having this problem for a couple of years but on a much higher/ louder scale. Nothing is mentioned in the Landcruiser circles....nor here in the LX470s circles. These are different engines than the Tundra and should not have this clearance issue with the pistons.

Bottom line, noise is wear...and its getting worse. And, its not several pistons...it is just one piston. The knock is one piston, period.

There it is gang, if you can document your LX age, mileage and climate that would be great. Oh, and if your hearing any abnormal knocking when you put the truck in gear and or take off from a cold start. My argument is simple....if this is normal, then any number of similar aged/mileage LX470s will have this noise. Simple, right? Well bring me some trucks that make the noise.

Please post your specs if your having the noise and/or if your not hearing anything abnormal. I need this information to present my case to the regional director and higher if needed. I will stick to my guns and say....if you "Lexus" say this is normal....then show me another like vehicle or vehicles that make the same noise. Period.

Last edited by ToyLexmods; 12-28-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 01:17 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Funny story,

I never actually needed documentation from Lexus Customer Service but, when you do need help you find that they are a bunch of idiots.

The whole LCS staff are passing the buck off to the next person and you can never talk to the same person twice. The dealer tells you one thing, the LCS staff tell you another and when you call back to talk to "that" particular person...he/she is unavailable but will call you back. Right, they have never called back.

I called again today to talk to a supervisor/manager. Guess what? There is not a manager here right now. Oh, where have I heard this before. I asked if there would be a manager available at any time today to call me. I was told this request would get passed on.

There you go people. Lexus service 101. "If you want to buy a car from us, we are here for you" "If your having engine troubles at 75k....we hide behind a rock" Does the old walnut shell game come to mind here? It should not have to be this way. Is it too much to ask for a straight answer? Sure, if piston noise such as mine is considered normal.....show me another LX with similar mileage that makes anywhere near the noise and I will shut up and sell my LX.

Last edited by ToyLexmods; 12-28-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 08:39 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

If you own a LX470 and dont have this noise. Please post the information. I need documentation and real numbers. I have several replies from other groups already. Speak up.
Old 12-28-04, 09:11 PM
chip99
Rookie

hey there i replied to your post on ih8mud site just wanted to add dont go for the gx470 just yet we wanted to get one and did some research and they have problems from 0milage bump stop drive shaft, electronics and one other which i can not think of right now; a friend of mine got one in florida and is very unhappy i dont talk to them much they are more my sisters friend but once my wife spoke to them she definetly does not want the gx hope that helps ya
Old 12-28-04, 09:23 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Chip,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have read about the GX problems but liked the idea of a 05 with the added hp. I dont really mind the driveshaft issue....I have felt it and its not that bad. But, its nice to know about the other electronic issues.

Electronics aside...this is the engine here. I dont trust that the GX wont have this problem later in life. That said, I dont think another Lexus truck is in our future. With the current Lexus stand there is no way we will ever own another one. Sad.
Old 12-29-04, 04:38 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

115k on my 99 Land Cruiser, and no engine noise at all.
Old 12-29-04, 06:29 AM
peterstacy
Rookie

Default LX 470 Noise

I have a 2000 LX 470, and I do leave it outside. I live in Virginia and it does sometimes get very cold at night. Some mornings when it is in the single digits it does make some noise at start up but it does seem to go away after a few minutes. I have never really thought that much about it because it only seems to happen when its very cold out.
Old 12-29-04, 06:36 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Peter,

Is this a knocking noise? Like the sound of a diesel truck? Ours will knock at temps of 50 degrees. I dont consider that very cold.
Old 12-29-04, 06:43 AM
peterstacy
Rookie

Default Lx 470

It is a knocking noise, not that loud but since the truck is so quiet it is noticable. And it really does not sound like a diesel truck...and it only does it when its 20 degrees or less. For the most part it seems to do it the most at the single digit range, and below 0.
Old 12-29-04, 03:12 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 60K on our 99 LX but it does not get much colder than the high 30's F. No strange knocking noises on startup.
Old 12-29-04, 05:35 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

RedGS,

Thanks for the input. If anyone wants some nice reading...go over to the LC site with a similar thread. Lots of input from several members.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=30084
Old 12-30-04, 12:08 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
RedGS,

Thanks for the input. If anyone wants some nice reading...go over to the LC site with a similar thread. Lots of input from several members.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=30084
Cool site - just registered. Thanks.
Old 12-30-04, 08:02 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well,

Three replies giving some feedback on this condition. Really, I would think this group would know if his/her truck sounded like a diesel on a morning startup. I have been a member here for years and just joined some other sites and got more response from my first topic.
Old 12-30-04, 09:59 AM
ldp01
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 LX w/85K Exhaust leak

I've got a 2000 LX with ~85K and it has an annoying exhaust leak at startup...goes away after it's warm, but a dreadful (and embarassing) sound.

Anyone know if it's a gasket? I've heard that the exhaust manifolds can crack, is that true?

Anyone solve this issue?

Thanks,

ldp
Old 12-30-04, 11:30 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Yes, the exhaust manifold cracks have been covered in the past. Any way to fix? Sure, replace the manifold. I only wish engine knocks were as simple or inexpensive.

========================================================================

[QUOTE=ldp01]I've got a 2000 LX with ~85K and it has an annoying exhaust leak at startup...goes away after it's warm, but a dreadful (and embarassing) sound.

Anyone know if it's a gasket? I've heard that the exhaust manifolds can crack, is that true?

Anyone solve this issue?

Quick Reply: Help: Need a survey of LX470 owners having any engine noises upon cold starting