LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 08:40 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering wheel question

When I'm on the highway going 65+ I noticed when i let go of my steering wheel it starts to shake and wobble and it doesnt seem normal to me. The SUV pulls slightly to the right but that is very minor the car doesnt shake just the steering wheel. I'm not sure if it is because i havent changed the wheels since i bought the car in 06(30k miles on them) or if I should do the recall? any inputs?
Old 01-31-11, 06:03 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LXurious, i am not an expert, and have only had my LX since the spring. However, I did do the recall and it did seem to tighten up the steering. I also noticed that the truck's tires need to be balanced more often then my car's. I am rotating them and balancing them frequently.

The pulling to one side seems to also be a common issue and I thought there is a Tech Service Bulletin posted for that fix for the 2006-07

Finally, when i purchased my LX, i noticed that the steering wheel was always cocked to one side, slightly. Take it to the dealership and then they checked the front end alignment and work on the steering wheel and would say it was fixed but the steering wheel would then be cocked to the opposite side. It took the dealership about 3 tries to get the steering centered.

For what it is worth,
Brian
Old 01-31-11, 04:28 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you prefer the tighter steering? I know it originally is fairly "loose" if you will.
I recently did the 30k service last month so the tires should have been rotated.
It was at an independent mechanic though and he said what i already knew about my tires having low tread. I didnt notice it til after the service. Not sure if thats because i was looking for it after the work was done or if they did something wrong. Im not usually one to point fingers so i gave them the benefit of the doubt
Old 01-31-11, 05:17 PM
LXBriGuy
Driver

I do prefer it a little tighter. It was a slight difference, nothing dramatic.

I have been having the tires balanced about every other rotation.
Old 01-31-11, 07:50 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Recall also tightened up my steering (a little more responsive), but it also creaks/squeals a bit when making a sharp turn when the car (probably the PS fluid) is cold. It never happened in AZ, but here in NM where it's in the teens or twenties every morning, it does it until the engine is warmed up.
Old 01-31-11, 08:51 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Recall also tightened up my steering (a little more responsive), but it also creaks/squeals a bit when making a sharp turn when the car (probably the PS fluid) is cold. It never happened in AZ, but here in NM where it's in the teens or twenties every morning, it does it until the engine is warmed up.
Jim, you're not alone. Our LX's steering has begun to squeal, too. I'm so glad to hear it's not just ours that's doing this. I first noticed it when backing out of the driveway and then turning on to the street. I was afraid it was the power steering pump getting ready to go, that's all we need just before tax season!
Old 02-01-11, 04:00 AM
krye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steering wheel vibration is very likely to be wheel balance. And not all shops are not familiar with Lexus wheels. They have a different diameter center hole than many wheels. The wheels may need to use a special adapter, which takes longer to install.

as far as steering wheel being cocked, that is all alignment.
Old 02-01-11, 06:59 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Krye, regarding the alignment, in my case it was a different issue. The truck kept being aligned, but the steering wheel would come back still cocked to one side. The dealership did not continue to charge me for the alignment and said it had something to do with the computerized steering. However, on the 5th try they got it right and it has been right ever since.