LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Will Lexus corporate step in? Sorry for the long post.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 08:23 AM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Lexus corporate step in? Sorry for the long post.

I took my '07 LX with 44K in for a detail and routine snap ring recall fix approximately six weeks ago. Before this, there were zero issues with my steering. Since that trip to the dealer, the truck has returned/been towed to the dealer five times for steering issues and has had the following replaced:

Rack and pinion system
VGRS computer
Steering shaft
VGRS computer throwing error codes
Steering won't hold some sort of programming
Brake shoes loose from all the taking apart/putting back together

When I drove out to the dealer on Tuesday morning, the shop foreman went for a ride-along with me and noticed that the steering was still way too "easy" while turning right.

The service manager called to check in on Friday afternoon and told me they think the steering problems might be electrical in nature (ut oh, I'm having Mercedes flashbacks), but they aren't 100% sure until more people look at the truck.

Now, I really love this dealership, the service department is top notch, and they get you in and out quickly, but something has to give. I finally decided to send a certified letter to Lexus explaining that these problems are a very serious safety issue to both myself and my passengers. And also, due to the extensive repairs, it will be difficult to sell this vehicle (the sales manager of this dealership even told me he cannot put it back on the lot for resale).

So, will Lexus corporate step in and offer a solution or will they be like Mercedes and ignore the letter? Also, has anyone had these issues with their LX?
Old 11-05-10, 11:57 AM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

In case anyone wanted to know:

A field engineer came out and did a hard reset on the computers. So after 39 days in the shop, the dealership delivered the vehicle back to me today with two nice scratches in the quarter panels (18 inches and 12 inches, respectively), and no gas in the tank. I sent the valet back to the dealership with the LX and I kept the loaner.

What a disgusting ownership experience this has been with regards to fit/finish and service on this truck.

It appears Lexus is trying their hardest not to retain customers.

Last edited by Nello3; 11-05-10 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 11-05-10, 12:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps you could also try a direct phone call to Lexus corporate, complaining about the unsolved vehicle problem and service, they might have a regional tech look at it or even suggest a buyback. It might require some waiting but that's another step in addition to the letter.
Old 11-05-10, 12:24 PM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by encore888
Perhaps you could also try a direct phone call to Lexus corporate, complaining about the unsolved vehicle problem and service, they might have a regional tech look at it or even suggest a buyback. It might require some waiting but that's another step in addition to the letter.
I meant to say tech (SA called him a field engineer) - not rep. Sorry about that - I misspoke.

A call was made last week to corporate and the gentleman on the phone said to wait two weeks for a response in writing.

Call me crazy, but five trips to the dealer and 39 days off the road (plus another 8 days where it just sat in my garage until I was able to drive it out to them) over a 7 week span is nuts.
Old 11-07-10, 07:40 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have a lemon law, you could make them buy it back.
Old 11-08-10, 02:07 PM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
If you have a lemon law, you could make them buy it back.
I received a letter today from Lexus, and they want me to file paperwork through the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDS) since I am "seeking relief under the New Jersey Lemon Law."

One problem with this: I never said I wanted to lemon the truck, but rather, I was inquiring on how this steering issue would be resolved (i.e. Toyota buyback, Lemon Law, warranty extension, etc...). My guess is corporate really doesn't feel like dealing with this situation.

Anyway, the truck was delivered to me again and the two large scratches were buffed out.
Old 11-08-10, 04:26 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, at least you guys dont have safety inspections anymore!
Old 11-09-10, 05:43 AM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Hey, at least you guys dont have safety inspections anymore!
True. I guess duct tape can be a cure-all!
Old 11-20-10, 02:18 PM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Truck is back in the shop for the sixth time. The regional tech and I did a test drive on the truck and he said he felt no issues. We then took a 2007 out from the dealers pre-owned inventory and then he noticed the difference.

He wants to replace the rack (second complete rack to be installed), to see if this will solve the problem. Why Lexus wants to keep repairing this disaster is beyond my comprehension - just buy it back and send me on my way. This is steering - not a chronically faulty headlight.

On Monday, I will be calling my attorney.
Old 12-07-10, 08:25 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Any update on this?
Old 12-07-10, 10:26 AM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

The vehicle is still in the shop (day 61), and supposedly the rack was to be installed last week, but nobody has called to give me an update since 11/30. Is it fixed? I don't know, nor do I care at this point.

Lexus Corporate hasn't been too responsive even though I sent a certified, return receipt requested letter to Mark Templin (never even acknowledged by anyone in his department) and have been in contact with another colleague named Carolyn Neumada. She's been pleasant to deal with, but unhelpful in just getting down to brass tax on whether or not Lexus will buy this truck back from me for a fair and generous price.

With that being said, the last time I called corporate, another rep named Arturo said to expect a letter which will state Lexus' decision regarding whether or not they will offer to buy the vehicle back, but in the meantime, I should be getting all of my service records, bill of sale, correspondence in order. It's funny he mentioned that, since this dispute resolution service letter stated the same thing.

Even though pursuing this matter legally was the absolute last option I wanted to consider; it looks like I just may have to go this route and skip the dispute outlet. I really don't have time to play the back-and-forth game, especially on a vehicle which operated perfectly fine before the snap-ring TSB repair took place.

Last edited by Nello3; 12-07-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 09:27 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I thought I was going to hear the end of it but I was wrong

Good luck man and hang in there.
Old 12-10-10, 05:14 PM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man. I am trying my best.

I picked up the truck this morning from Lexus of Bridgewater. As I was going over the repair list (another entire rack installed), I noticed the last line which read "rack replaced as a gesture of goodwill." Awwww, how nice of them. This is after four people, including Lexus reps drove this truck and noticed the steering was off.

Here is the biggest laughable comment of the decade from the engineer...

He said the steering could be a psychological issue on my part. Wow, I didn't know this guy was a PhD - imagine that! Lexus hires medical professionals now? Asinine, absurd, and completely insulting.

64 days in the garage, 71 days off the road, and the entire time, these issues were all in my head. I can sleep better tonight knowing I imagined all the steering issues.
Old 12-16-10, 10:50 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I had mine TSB done on a 07 lx470, no issues-
a 4 hour job was 3 days because there was some issues and they the wheel was turning funny- they changed the rack etc.

BUT when i tried to pick the car up the driver seat was so dirty almost black. the dash cover/ sterring cover was lose the driver seat was gressy and with red stains. I called the SA and showed him and told him to get this cleaned up, he calls someone from the service/detail a young kid and hes cleaing my driver seat with some sort of hard cloth 10 mins, into i told them i will be back because i cannot stand here on my lunch hr, have to go back to work.

Came in next day the service manager flat out denied that this was their mistake i told him the seat was fine before almost brand new now there is a little red dye in the back WTF is that, and someone was wearing a sweaty red shirt and this is what happened.

I called coporate and complained but they were like go back to the same dealer and they will fix the prob- i told them i am sorry i wont go back to the same dealer.

in short i am not happy at all with Lexus, recently they are dropping the ball.

All my life i had lexus, my next car will be a just a toyota because that how they treat us anyways.

Originally Posted by Nello3
Thanks man. I am trying my best.

I picked up the truck this morning from Lexus of Bridgewater. As I was going over the repair list (another entire rack installed), I noticed the last line which read "rack replaced as a gesture of goodwill." Awwww, how nice of them. This is after four people, including Lexus reps drove this truck and noticed the steering was off.

Here is the biggest laughable comment of the decade from the engineer...

He said the steering could be a psychological issue on my part. Wow, I didn't know this guy was a PhD - imagine that! Lexus hires medical professionals now? Asinine, absurd, and completely insulting.

64 days in the garage, 71 days off the road, and the entire time, these issues were all in my head. I can sleep better tonight knowing I imagined all the steering issues.

Last edited by UZ214; 12-16-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 07:21 PM
Nello3
Driver School Candidate

Got the call from Lexus - they will be buying the truck back. Bittersweet for me since I loved the vehicle itself, but the dealerships and workmanship left much to be desired. The dealers in the NNJ/NYC area really need to get their act together.

Tomorrow I start the car hunting process.

Quick Reply: Will Lexus corporate step in? Sorry for the long post.