LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Tire advice desperately needed....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 02:43 PM
DaveN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire advice desperately needed....

I have an '06 with Michelin Latitude Tour tires that I purchased used. The tires had 4-5mm tread left so I never got to experience them new. On my previous 470 I had a set of Goodyear Fortera Triple treads and they were the best SUV tire I have ever used. For some bizarre reason Goodyear has not manufactured our size all year. I have placed an order but delivery is far from certain. At tire rack the General Grabber also gets great reviews but it is also backordered.

The treadwear rating of the Latitude Tour is much lower than the Goodyear or General. Has anyone tried these tires? How do they compare to the Michelins for handling and wet weather grip? Would you recommend the HP Tour or should I continue to wait on one of the others?
Old 10-10-10, 07:35 AM
McCool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Consumer Reports November, 2008 tire test, the General Grabber HTS and the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred had only fair tread life. The Michelin Latitude Tour was not tested, only the Michelin LTX which isn't available in 275/60/18. The General Grabber was the overall #1 tire tested, and was rated excellent for dry driving, wet braking, and handling. The Goodyear was #14 and was rated good for dry driving and wet braking, and very good for handling. The Consumer Reports tests contradict the Tire Rack surveys to some extent - many Tire Rack customers rate the Goodyear higher that the Consumer Reports tests indicate.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-10, 12:44 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put 285/60/18 Toyo Open Country ATs on my stock LX 18" wheels, but doubt that helps.
Old 10-11-10, 10:47 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

For a slightly more aggressive tire, you might consider the Nitto Terra Grappler. They come highly recommended on ih8mud for a good combo of road manners and offroad prowess.
Old 10-12-10, 09:28 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

I had a couple of Bridgestones (decent, acceptable), Michelin LT (good), Dunlop two times (both rated bad to rather bad), and Pirelli Scorpion AT (excellent). Now that my current Dunlop is wearing out, considering Pirelli's again. Not a popular choice between the LX owners, the best I had so far.
Old 10-15-10, 08:28 AM
DaveN
Driver

I'm 100% on road so aggressive is probably not best for me. What category would you place the Pirelli's in?
Old 10-15-10, 09:55 AM
dan470
Driver School Candidate

I live in south Florida very normal driving habits, I have used Falken tires for 35000
miles great tire great price $125.
Old 10-15-10, 01:56 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveN
I'm 100% on road so aggressive is probably not best for me. What category would you place the Pirelli's in?
Granted I was off-roading a bit, so the choice was influenced by that. But I also live on a hill, where occasionally I get snow. It proved to be great for these conditions - basically a difference between no traction at all (regular tires) vs a bit of traction which helps hugely.

Regular trips to the local ski hill through snow and mountains - proved to be a big difference in comfort and piece of mind. Basically again, a difference where the rest of the traffic on highway is sitting waiting for something, and you simply go.

If you do not anticipate any of the harsher conditions, any tire would do it I guess. Michelin LTX is my second best experience so far, and it is 100% 'on-road' tire.
Old 10-18-10, 07:54 PM
ewinder2
Driver School Candidate

I purchased the Michelin Latitude Tour tire a month or so ok. I've always been a big Michelin fan and hope these are no exception. I live in Colorado so I'll get to test out the snow rating. I know they had a 50K miles guarantee and usually that's not an issue as long as you rotate. So far my opinion is that they are good. Definitely quieter than the old ones.
Old 10-19-10, 04:30 PM
bhamtyme
Driver School Candidate

Since Michelin does not manufacture the LTX in factory recommended size for my 2006 LX470, I decided to go up a size and went with the LTX MS2. Love em!
Old 10-21-10, 02:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the Michelin LTX2's in 275/65R18 from my dealer. They are 1" larger in diameter, but there is no noticeable difference vs. OEM sized except when calculating your mileage, your numbers will be 3% lower than reality. The siping pattern is pretty good. We took it up in snow once this year. I tested it out by driving slowly in a parking lot covered w/ packed re-frozen snow/ice and slammed on the brakes. The truck stopped about as fast as on dry pavement...much better than the stock Bridgestone Dueler HT's. I wanted to get the Michelin AT's, but the dealer could only get 3 of them, and I needed 5 of them.
Old 10-31-10, 07:42 PM
srpaddison

I replaced my Michelins with Continental CrossContacts (who also make General Grabber I understand) and have been very happy with their performance. I've clocked just over 33k highway miles and feel their overall performance to be pretty much on par with Michelin, but at about half the price.
Old 11-05-10, 09:22 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you do, do not purchase the Yokohama Geolandars. I'm having Discount Tire replace these tomorrow morning. I just turned 30k on them and they're louder than hell and my ride has gone to crap. I'm having them replaced with Michelins. I hate to pay almost $300.00 a tire, but after my experience with these Yokohamas, there's no substitution. By the way, these tires do not come wth a warranty, but DT is prorating them for me because even they are disappointed with their performance.
Old 11-07-10, 05:47 AM
DaveN
Driver

Originally Posted by srpaddison
I replaced my Michelins with Continental CrossContacts (who also make General Grabber I understand) and have been very happy with their performance. I've clocked just over 33k highway miles and feel their overall performance to be pretty much on par with Michelin, but at about half the price.
Which MIchelin did you have, the MTX or the OEM Tour HP? How would you rate wet handling vs Michelins?
Old 11-14-10, 08:00 AM
DaveN
Driver

Got a call this week from Tirerack that they are making these again, Goodyear TripleTread, and I should have them by Dec. I'll report on their performance.

Quick Reply: Tire advice desperately needed....