LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

DVD System

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 07:09 PM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD System

I just bought my wife a 2002 LX470 in Pearl white. Love the car!

I noticed that the CD changer is also a DVD player. Can I get headrest LCD's and hook into the factory DVD?

Is it an easy install?

Any info appreciated!
Old 05-14-02, 07:14 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Take it to a reputable install shop, you should have plenty to choose from in NY. They will have to locate the monitor cable to the DVD and can run additional monitors off that wire. One thing is your DVD based nav will let you watch movies only when the car is in park. To defeat this you will need to have the shop locate the wire (ground) that completes this circuit. So yes it can all be done.

Congrats on your 470. What else did you consider buying?
Old 05-14-02, 07:26 PM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LX470Mann
Take it to a reputable install shop, you should have plenty to choose from in NY. They will have to locate the monitor cable to the DVD and can run additional monitors off that wire. One thing is your DVD based nav will let you watch movies only when the car is in park. To defeat this you will need to have the shop locate the wire (ground) that completes this circuit. So yes it can all be done.

Congrats on your 470. What else did you consider buying?
Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the movies will play on the front lcd also?

I considered everything with 3 rows (Navigator, Escalade, etc.) since we just had our third child last week and we need the room. The LX IMHO was the best option.

BTW, where is the DVD for the nav located? Do I have to eject the nav DVD to play movies? If so, can I just watch DVD now in park?

Sorry I am asking so many questions, just got the car today and I am very excited. Salesman was a putz and didn't exactly go through everything either.
Old 05-15-02, 10:17 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

The DVD is in the dash, I think or in the trunk area. One of the other guys on this board might know better. Good choice with the LX. I got a 98 and I have close to 100K miles on it and it runs like new! Right now the DVD will play in park only. But that can be changed. What dealer did you buy it from?
Old 05-15-02, 10:57 AM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

So I just have to find where the nav DVD is eject it and put a movie in its place and it will play? Or use the changer in the center console?

Oh and I bought my car at Rallye in Glen Cove, Long Island

BTW, thank you for answering my rants, they have been very helpful
Old 05-15-02, 03:37 PM
LexFather

Welcome! I think it goes where the NAV thing is. From my understanding the LX can be programmed to play DVDs in D, but you may have a hard time finding someone to do this.
Old 05-15-02, 04:20 PM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

I looked up and down for the nav DVD and cannot find where it goes!

DAMN, I guess I'll have to read the manual!

OK I found it, at least in the book. It's under the passengers front seat. Then I started looking into playing a DVD.

If you put a DVD in the changer it plays. You only get picture when the engine is NOT running. Not in park like some have suggested.

Now comes the question, Anyone know how to hack it to play all the time? Please no lectures about the danger, it's not intended for the driver but for the passengers.

Last edited by LX470NY; 05-15-02 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-15-02, 09:45 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

I have a real close friend who is a Foreman of a Lexus Service Dept. I was thinking of buying a LX470, and asked him all about the DVD thing. There is a way to bypass the security for the DVD lockout, and it's not that difficult. I forgot which wire it is, but if you know someone in the service dept, they should be able to look up the wire color for you in the service manual.

Oh, don't remove the navigation DVD from the player under the seat. It sometimes causes glitches in the Nav system. It dosen't play conventional DVD's from there anyway. Hope this helped.

Last edited by LVgs400; 05-15-02 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 07:10 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Hey I bought my LX470 from Rallye as well. From John Cuzzo. How did you like their service. The dealership is sweet, really high end. Rolls is also around the corner.
Old 05-17-02, 09:43 AM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

The business manager (the guy that closes the deal) was great. Very nice guy, very helpful. The salesman was so-so. Overall I would rate it a good experience.
Old 05-21-02, 07:22 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by LX470NY
The business manager (the guy that closes the deal) was great. Very nice guy, very helpful. The salesman was so-so. Overall I would rate it a good experience.
How do you like your S500? I've seen some really beautiful ones on eBay going for about $20k less than what they were 1-2 years ago on the showroom floor. Unfortunately, I live in Austin ,TX where there is one MB dealership for the entire city. I hear that it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to schedule an appointment (and you can forget about a C-Class for a loaner while your car is for servicing). I find the S class to be the most beautiful of all the luxury sedans available, thought the LS430 is very, very close 2nd. The wood interior on the S-Class just blew me away.

Anyways, how has your ownership experience been so far?
Old 05-21-02, 08:23 AM
LX470NY
Driver School Candidate

I love the car!

In hindsight, I would go for the 2001 model. Just because the little nag bugs were worked out then. My mom has a 2001 that seems to be a better car overall.

Also, the MB phone system cannot be upgraded in the 2000 model. That leaves me with an analog phone that no one will activate.

MB is doing slight refreshes for 2003. That may drop the prices of 2001 a little. You might want to wait for 2003 model year to come out.

Good Luck.
Old 07-30-02, 12:08 PM
ling
Driver School Candidate

Question In dash DVD

Does anyone know which in-dash DVD player/receiver I can use in the 99 LX470 inplace of the Nakamichi CD changer?
Old 10-05-02, 11:14 PM
joelbertet
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation System Override

I just bought my wife the gold color 470 and she loves it. I almost bought the pearl white. Regarding the Nav system I have one main complaint. You cant enter any info while you are driving. Makes sense for safety but what about the passenger? How can I override this so I can use the Nav whenever the car is moving?

Also interested in knowing if you figured out the DVD issue. Sure would like the kids to be able to watch dvds for those road trips.

Best Regards,

Joel Bertet
Old 10-06-02, 03:31 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Navigation System Override

Originally posted by joelbertet
I just bought my wife the gold color 470 and she loves it. I almost bought the pearl white. Regarding the Nav system I have one main complaint. You cant enter any info while you are driving. Makes sense for safety but what about the passenger? How can I override this so I can use the Nav whenever the car is moving?

Also interested in knowing if you figured out the DVD issue. Sure would like the kids to be able to watch dvds for those road trips.

Best Regards,

Joel Bertet
Your question regarding overriding the NAV/DVD system was covered a couple of months ago. Just do a "search" for it and you'll find many postings. Good luck!

Quick Reply: DVD System