LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

new to the LX world

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 02:14 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default new to the LX world

fist lexus since my SC and 4 years but am really liking the 470 so far, specially compared to the last land cruiser I owned which was an FJ80. Unfortunately it came with some blinged out chrome wheels which were instantly swapped for some Tundra TRD wheels and spent all morning pulling the NAk system in favor of a new pioneer nav system even thought the NAk system still worked perfrectly to my surprise. When I pulled it out I realized it was a refurbished unit and not the original which made more sence. Still waiting on the backup camera and install should be good to go. Wanted to say thanks as I figured out all the wiring doing searches in this forum. Anyway some pics of my labor.
Attached Thumbnails new to the LX world-4.jpg  
Old 04-24-09, 02:16 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

and the stereo
Attached Thumbnails new to the LX world-3.jpg  
Old 04-24-09, 03:28 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you also have to make a custom shroud around the radio face?
Old 04-24-09, 03:47 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Did you also have to make a custom shroud around the radio face?
somewhat, its hard to cut the opening perfect so I got a universal doubledin piece thats a big square piece of abs thats about 10" by 10" with the opening already punched out prefectly and then you just trim the outside till it fits in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails new to the LX world-1.jpg  
Old 05-02-09, 07:51 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nicely done! Did you use the factory Nak speaker or replace them all? Did you use the factory amp? Was it difficult to install?
Old 05-03-09, 08:36 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cobra2top
Nicely done! Did you use the factory Nak speaker or replace them all? Did you use the factory amp? Was it difficult to install?
thanks, the install was not that bad at all. I did use the Nak speakers and amp for the time being but I may bypass the amp once I figure out what new subwoofer setup to go with. All I did to keep the NAK amp and speakers working was cut a pair of rca cables, plug the sides which still had the connector to the headunits front and rear low level outs and the patched the cut sides into the factory harness that feed the signal to the amp and it was good to go.
Old 04-11-10, 10:49 AM
showlandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali,

That looks great and is real close to what I would like to do to my 470. I am going with a single DIN head unit and a half DIN eq so I will need a dash pocket but you using the 10 by 10 piece is genius!!

How did you get the wood panel trim off? anything you can tell me or resources you could point me to would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Sean
Old 04-12-10, 06:57 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Sean, its been a while since I did this but I believe the wood trim piece just pulls away. Its attached with some clips so just slowly pull on it till it comes out. The whole thing comes out in one big piece and then you just disconnect the harness for the climate control etc and your set. The headunit is just held on by four bolts which will become very aparent once the trim is removed.
Old 04-22-10, 03:55 PM
showlandy
Driver School Candidate

Ali,

Just installed my gear.. tried to make a custom trim piece out of plexi and cracked it trying to get the bend right.. how did you deal with the curve on the top of the dash?

also I am a little hazy on your RCA install.. did you connect the bare end wires to the speaker connections? how did you determine + vs -? sorry for the ? but I am excited at the opportunity to listen to anything other than the radio!!

one last one... did you have to modify the factory bracket to get the unit come to the front of the opening?

again thanks for the replies and the help!!

showlandy
Old 05-01-10, 08:30 PM
Tankroman
Driver School Candidate

Default Kenwood install

I just found a guy on eBay that is selling a dash kit for $125.00. Not cheap, but I had done several attempts to make a good looking dash kit and failed. The install went pretty well until it came to the sound. It has a very muted sound which I believe is distortion. I see that Ali has done the preamp rca splicing. I think this is the way to go, however I am not sure how to do this yet. Anyone that can clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-10, 08:32 PM
Tankroman
Driver School Candidate

Default to showlandy

keep looking in this forum there are several places where it lists the wiring schmatics. If you have trouble email me. nwoodrow@comcast.net
Old 05-02-10, 11:04 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by showlandy
Ali,

Just installed my gear.. tried to make a custom trim piece out of plexi and cracked it trying to get the bend right.. how did you deal with the curve on the top of the dash?

also I am a little hazy on your RCA install.. did you connect the bare end wires to the speaker connections? how did you determine + vs -? sorry for the ? but I am excited at the opportunity to listen to anything other than the radio!!

one last one... did you have to modify the factory bracket to get the unit come to the front of the opening?

again thanks for the replies and the help!!

showlandy
sorry for the late responce but did not see this earlier.

Did this a while ago so going from memory here but what I did is use the rca outputs on the new deck to create signals for the factory amp. Instead of connecting the speaker outs from the new stereo to the wire harness that connect to the factory harness I used the rca outputs(front and rear) from the new stereo and cut the wires so I could connect them to the speaker inputs on the harness. As for + and -, when I cut the rca, the center core wire is always the plus and surrounding wire -. On the harness for the car, I believe the - wire all have a black stripe or should be labeled. No modification was done to the factory bracket, it sits in a bit but is not noticable once the face plate is put on.
Old 05-28-10, 05:34 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice and clean! Where did you find the Tundra wheels?
Old 05-28-10, 07:51 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Nice and clean! Where did you find the Tundra wheels?
they are all over craigslist, seems most Tundra owners want to go straight to 20's right after they get their truck. got those TRD ones with near new tires for $400 and a few months later came across the non TRD one which I like better for like $350 with tires. Also 18" but not so bulky looking.

off topic but my brother also has a na-t sc300 and live in the VA, they are just way too much fun.
Attached Thumbnails new to the LX world-img_1009.jpg  
Old 05-28-10, 01:34 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks for the tip on the wheels. you still have the TRD's?

yeah...the NA-T's are sweet!

Quick Reply: new to the LX world