LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Can I switch my Center Console ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 04:08 PM
slevytam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I switch my Center Console ?

Hi,

I'd like to switch my center console on my 2000 LX for the newer 2002 up console. The one with the spot for DVD navigation. Can this be done ?

I talked to my dealership they actually think it can be...

Does anyone have any idea where i might find just the bezel for the center console. I don't need the actual screen cause i will be replacing it with my own. I just need the bezel.

Thanks,

slevytam
Old 02-22-07, 11:21 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

hey.... it can actually be done, but I have to warn you. It will cost you a fortune.

I live in California and I've also talked to my service adviser at Longo Lexus and they told me it would cost over $10k because they need to remove the whole center console and put in new one and the a/c switch and other items have to be relocated.

But I feel spending $10k+ on a center console is overpriced since my 2000 LX is kinda old so I just went w/ aftermarket head unit w/ better sound systems for around $5k.
Old 02-22-07, 02:44 PM
slevytam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply!

I actually found a lexus techinican who will do it free! Problem is finding the parts! The radio/dvd doesn't need to work I just need the trim/bezel. Getting this from a wrecker would be my best idea but I just don't know where to start. . .
Old 02-23-07, 04:15 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the hell would you go thru all that pain for that just to put aftermarket in? I personally think the 2003+ dash is too car-ish for the LX. If your just going to put a different radio in, why not do this?

BTW, i imagine the center console to be the part where my arm rests, the part with the cupholders and the storage compartment. The Dashboard with the insturment panel is what i would say holds the radio and A/C controls.

Now, to update your center console to the newer style with the silver trim around the shifter/heated seat switchs, you just need to buy one peice and swap the switchs over, but again, i dont think it fits the LX.
Old 02-24-07, 06:35 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

If you're just talking about the 98-02 wood trim piece, yes, it can be done. You can also do it yourself, no need for a Lexus technician.

I actually have a spare trim pieces Both the center shifter piece, and center dash. They're in perfect condition, just dusty.

Feel free to make an offer

Last edited by aedgington; 02-24-07 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 07:15 AM
slevytam
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Thanks for your replies !!! Actually aedgington I am looking for exactly what you offered but for the 2002-2007 style. The curved one with the spot for GPS.

According to the lexus dealership it should fit....

1loudLX, i guess for the exact reason you like yours better is why I like it less. The old style bezel has a lot more of a truck feel. I like the feel of the newer interior.

If anyone does have the same pieces aedgington has, but for the newer years. Please let me know !!!!

Thanks!
Old 02-27-07, 03:40 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

...that is the curved one that fits around the nav system on 98-02...
Old 02-27-07, 06:03 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slevytam
Hi,

Thanks for your replies !!! Actually aedgington I am looking for exactly what you offered but for the 2002-2007 style. The curved one with the spot for GPS.

According to the lexus dealership it should fit....

1loudLX, i guess for the exact reason you like yours better is why I like it less. The old style bezel has a lot more of a truck feel. I like the feel of the newer interior.

If anyone does have the same pieces aedgington has, but for the newer years. Please let me know !!!!

Thanks!
dont u mean 2003-2007
Old 02-27-07, 06:11 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

The actual factory navigation system from lexus on the 98-02 had a TOTTTTALLLY different dash bezel and A/C setup.
Old 02-27-07, 06:43 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Oh, snap! You're right. Mine is the curved one from the Naki head unit. If he's doing a retrofit, then he wouldn't want the factory one because of the HVAC controls.

Unless he's building a carputer or something & is looking for max real estate... but again, HVAC controls & spaces are going to be an issue.
Old 02-28-07, 10:41 PM
slevytam
Driver School Candidate

I am actually building a carputer U guessed it!

The screen I am intending to put in is 7" wide. . .
Old 02-28-07, 10:43 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

7" screen should fit in the stock poisition that aedgington posted above.
Old 03-01-07, 05:56 AM
slevytam
Driver School Candidate

What I still find best would be getting a hold of the bezel from the newer years... I find it looks nicer. (See Attached Pix)

Otherwise the bezel from the pic you posted would be a good find as well ! (1loudLX)

Where can I find these bezels ???????

Old 03-01-07, 06:12 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

This has been covered repeatedly. Unless you want to completely hack and reshape your dash, it's not doable. The newer dash curves upward instead of being flat, as well as being more oval than tapered.

That's not even considering how you're going to handle the a/c controls.

As far as finding them, it's pretty much an ebay only item in the $200 price range. Dealer cost is more than double that.
Old 03-01-07, 10:46 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

if your putting a computer in your car, i would opt for more money spent towards the system then trying to source the 03+ dash. Not only that, your going to have a pain in the *** trying to get all the controls to work.

Also, with the 98-02, the full radio is within itself, you dont have to take the nav out, then find a way to take out the radio part, or try to intergrate it. If you go with a nice 7" screen and fully intergrate your carputer...it would be a much CLEANER installation using either of the 98-02 dash bezels.

For the 03+ you have to change wayyy more then you would expect, any possibly have to put new connectors on the HVAC control harnesses.

Quick Reply: Can I switch my Center Console ?