LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Good price for a 2002 LX470?

Old 11-14-01, 11:46 AM
CaptPJB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good price for a 2002 LX470?

Can anyone help me with a fair price for a new LX470? My dealer will not come off the MSRP of $64,000 and change for one with Levison stereo and rear wind deflector.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-01, 12:27 PM
Phil
Driver

Hi Cap - I just paid $63,070 (out the door - no sales tax in Oregon) for my '02 LX 470 - FULLY loaded, except for cargo net. Gold pkg, chrome wheels, ML radio, etc. However, it is now sitting in California, waiting to be transported to me. Was supposed to be here last Friday and I am getting ANXIOUS.

I know what you are going through. I had the same problem, so went thru an auto broker on line (josemesa.com) and he found EXACTLY what I wanted. He found it at South Bay Lexus, Torrance, CA. Now it is only a matter of getting it here. E-mail jose and tell him I recommended you to contact. I assure you he will find what you want at a much better price that what you are being quoted. Good Luck!

Phil - Grants Pass, Oregon
Old 11-14-01, 01:29 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No sales tax in OR??? Wow! But what if you decide to move to let's say Lousiana now? (9% sales tax)...would you have to pay tax in LA?

Someone could save almost $6,000 on an LX470 by becoming an Oregon resident, buying the car, and then moving back to their original state and becoming their original state's resident again!
Old 11-14-01, 01:56 PM
Phil
Driver

NanoTech - Naaaaw, the states with sales tax will catch up with you when you register the vehicle with DMV. I used to live in California and had a friend with an expensive Benz and he had a friend of his register it in Oregon. He got ticket by the CHP for an unrelated violation, they found out he owned a business in CA, lived in CA etc., and nailed him big time. The laughable part is that this guy has TONS of bucks, but didn't want to pay CA the few thousand bucks in sales tax AND registeration fees. Go figure.

Phil
Old 11-14-01, 03:48 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I am talking about what if you just move to Oregon, like officially move, and then within 1 week of living in Oregon, you decide that you wanna buy a $100,000 car, so you buy it, and then in another week, you decide Oregon is not right for you, so you move back to your original state. So you register first in Oregon, then since you move to your original state, you re-register there. I am sure you wouldn't have to pay tax that way.

Cause I know that if I move to let's say TX now, and register my GS there, they won't make me pay tax because I have already bought it where I used to live (in TN)...I am sure there is a trick around it. A trick that could save buyer's thousands of dollars!

For example, when I wanted to buy my LCD screen, since I live in TN I would have gotten charged sales tax if I had it shipped here. So instead, I told my uncle in GA to give me his credit card number and I bought it in his name, shipped it to him and no sales tax! Then he shipped it back to me as a gift and I just gave him cash money. Saved me $170 and the extra shipping was only $15 or so...it's legal, and for a $2,000 screen it was worth it!
Old 11-15-01, 06:10 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by nanotech
I am talking about what if you just move to Oregon, like officially move, and then within 1 week of living in Oregon, you decide that you wanna buy a $100,000 car, so you buy it, and then in another week, you decide Oregon is not right for you, so you move back to your original state. So you register first in Oregon, then since you move to your original state, you re-register there. I am sure you wouldn't have to pay tax that way.

Cause I know that if I move to let's say TX now, and register my GS there, they won't make me pay tax because I have already bought it where I used to live (in TN)...I am sure there is a trick around it. A trick that could save buyer's thousands of dollars!

For example, when I wanted to buy my LCD screen, since I live in TN I would have gotten charged sales tax if I had it shipped here. So instead, I told my uncle in GA to give me his credit card number and I bought it in his name, shipped it to him and no sales tax! Then he shipped it back to me as a gift and I just gave him cash money. Saved me $170 and the extra shipping was only $15 or so...it's legal, and for a $2,000 screen it was worth it!
Always up to something! It may work! It is not against the law to move and change your mine!
Old 11-20-01, 03:59 AM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

I was in a similar situation:

I bought a car in Colorado, where the tax is paid as part of your premium every month.

I moved to Texas, where tax is paid up front.

I had to pay what was left in taxes (calculated at Dallas County rate) up front before I could register the car.
Old 11-20-01, 07:18 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

that's because you would have had to pay those taxes anyway if you lived in Colorado...but if I came from Oregon, where I didn't have to pay any tax, I don't think they would make me pay the tax in TX or wherever, especially since I was not a resident of TX when I bought the car, because I bought the car in Oregon and not in TX, and because I already had my car registered in Oregon first, then later when I move registered in TX.
Old 11-24-01, 05:36 PM
RacingAristo

How come we Californians have to pay such high taxes but still have the bad if not the worst traffic and road condition in U.S.? Oregon, sounds like a place where I could pick up some expansive mod for my GS or M3.