LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

How many newer LX parts are compatible with older LX's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 09:19 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How many newer LX parts are compatible with older LX's?

I'm not sure if there was a big post about this before or what. I just did a few searches and I didn't turn up anything on this subject altough I'm sure it has been discussed before.

So heres the deal, my parents have a LX470 and the front bumper and bumper support beam need to be replaced. Some lady in a Jag X-type hit the LX. Her car was smashed in pretty bad. Hood, fender, front grlle, headlight, radiator and some other stuff under the hood was all busted up. The LX just needs a new bumper cover and bumper bar .

Also, sometime during this week the LX got keyed from the front fender all the way to the doors! Seems like that car is going to need a lot of body work.

Anyways I was thinking that since there is going to be a new bumper installed soon anyway, would the newer 03-06' style bumper fit on this LX? By the way its an '02.

While I'm at it what other stuff will swap in. I know the rear LED tails most likely, front grille, green tint headlights, Are there any other parts?

I usually work on my GS most of the time so I'm not too up to date on what stuff will go on the LX.
Old 05-22-06, 12:31 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a 02 the LED tailights wont fit, the tailgate is shaped differently, slightly but none the less its different.

Green tint headlights will fit but why put plastic headlights in instead of glass?

I checked the grille and im 99% sure it fits i just havent ordered one and put it on myself but i parked a 06 next to my 00(same style as 02) and it looked as if it fits up fine.

I would check with the dealership on the bumper bar being the same on all years but im pretty sure the 03+ front bumper would match up

If you really want to get crazy change the dash out...ha!

I would suggest the grille and find out via part numbers about the bumper bar from the 03+ working on the 02, if it does definately get the newer bumper.
Old 05-22-06, 03:37 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, I had no idea that the green tint headlights were plastic. In that case, the glass is staying
I'm planning on doing an HID retrofit for that car so I want a nice and tough frame/housing to start with.

I saw the 06' LED and it seemed like the same as the non-led tails (shape-wise). I guess they did a few little changes. Scratch that then. So this leaves me with the grille and bumper . I'm gona be doing some more research on this. Unless someone here knows for sure that they work, in that case I'll go ahead and order them
Old 05-22-06, 09:55 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
on a 02 the LED tailights wont fit, the tailgate is shaped differently, slightly but none the less its different.

Green tint headlights will fit but why put plastic headlights in instead of glass?

I checked the grille and im 99% sure it fits i just havent ordered one and put it on myself but i parked a 06 next to my 00(same style as 02) and it looked as if it fits up fine.

I would check with the dealership on the bumper bar being the same on all years but im pretty sure the 03+ front bumper would match up

If you really want to get crazy change the dash out...ha!

I would suggest the grille and find out via part numbers about the bumper bar from the 03+ working on the 02, if it does definately get the newer bumper.
Not sure if the front bumper bar is compatible. I ordered an ARB sahara bar and they make two models, one for '98-7/02 and the other for 8/02-05 (5spd transmission model). So something is different. OTOH, all the third party rear bumpers for both the LC and LX, all years, are compatible, so you should be able to fit a rear bumper from a newer LX onto an older one.

The headlights on my '03 are made of what looks like lexan plastic, the same material those Nalgene backpacking water bottles are made out of. Good thing is, I've dropped one of those full of water onto concrete, landed on the edge of the bottom, and it didn't break, so the headlights could probably take a stone at freeway speed w/o breaking. I wasn't aware of a green tint...guess i'll have to look closer.

The LED tail lights fit '03+, according to the JDM LC magazine Feb 06 issue. Someone either on this board or the other lexus board recently tried installing them on his pre '03 LX...they wouldn't fit...insufficient internal space (maybe it was the tailgate?).
Old 05-24-06, 08:45 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the outer led tailights would fit but the inner ones are shaped different on the 98-02 from the 03-06...when they started with the stupid reverse lights in the middle of the tailgate next to the licence plate. Theres about a 1" difference at the bottom between the two inner tailight assemblies.