LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New HID Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 09:25 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New HID Kit Installed

Here are some photos of my new HID kit. For all of the photos ive uploaded please visit my gallery at https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh.../44623/cat/500

I used a Xenon Depot 4.3k HID H1 kit.

And for comparison, here is the stock 2005 LS430 HID headlights

Last edited by 1loudLX; 04-10-06 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 09:57 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

1LoudLX, how do they compare to the stock lows in terms of distance? Did you drill a hole in the plastic cap for the low beam or were you somehow able to use the factory harness. Any pics of the cap and ballast location? How does it all wire up?
Old 04-12-06, 07:52 PM
gijoebruin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to do this mod as well.

Xenon Depot 4.3k HID H1 kit go for $379? Is this the only kit that works with our LX?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-06, 09:58 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

better distance over stock. yes i did drill a hole in the dust cap. All you would need to do to convert it back to stock halogen is buy two new dust caps because they have both the bulb connector and the connector to the main harness on it. I mounted the driver side ballast to the headlight housing and the pass side on the fender next to the power steering fluid res. The wiring harness is great. Just snip the wires that go into the dust cap and put two female connectors on it and connect the +'s and -'s. There are a few steps to the process and i truely forget what i did when and what not because i set up the pass side quickly for test and then went back and reran all the wires for the harness and stuff. Im not sure about the stock LX470s but you may have to move your airbox to get to the pass side. I have a intake system so the pass side is very open, also one reason i streched out the wires throughout the car so i wouldnt have to bunch them up somewhere. On the drivers side u have to dismount the batt and move it out of the way.

No its not the only kit but i recommend it.

Im going to go downstairs and take some pictures now and post them up when im done.

BTW, these things light up reflectors alot better then the stock lights...such as things like, cop cars hiding waiting to catch you..........dont ask how i know i just do.
Old 04-12-06, 10:46 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Heres a gallary i just made of some quick shots of the install. the drivers side wasnt even worth attempting to take pictures so i just tried one shot of the ballast. If you need more install shots please specify what and where and ill add more to the album.

HID Album
Old 04-23-06, 08:48 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Thumbs up Intake kit.

1loudlx, what kind of intake do you have? I need to do a couple of things to mine. Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-06, 07:24 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Heres a gallary i just made of some quick shots of the install. the drivers side wasnt even worth attempting to take pictures so i just tried one shot of the ballast. If you need more install shots please specify what and where and ill add more to the album.

HID Album
I have same 4300k HID you installed... Looked real nice on yours... Now those fog lamps are way too yellow, so are you gonna replace those with super bright whites or HIDs ? Check out my sig, I did replace all of mine, Lows, Highs, and Fogs.... although I'd prefer HID fogs, I just don't see how to justify the cost for now.... I am thinking of the white side marker that you installed... Looked real nice to replace my yellow turn signals. That would complete my front fascia look I am going for....
Old 04-27-06, 10:53 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

the fog lights are way too yellow because i bought PIAA Yellow bulbs...silly. There is a thread about the clear parking lights somewhere on this section, look around for it. I would rather the lights be a totally different color then attempt to do some matching because i hate when there are two colors that almost look the same but arent, it looks riced out then. I always liked how the GS and IS HIDs were with the yellow foglights so thats the setup i have. I orginally had the yellow foglights like a year and a half ago with just the regular halogen headlights.
Old 04-27-06, 11:55 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Here is mine installed a few months ago

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=92

As you can see, its the turn signal that kinda looks out of place now. I gotta change it out to the clear corners soon. You did change yours out.. I suppose there is no diff between the '00 and '03 in the clear corner, eh ?
Old 04-28-06, 12:30 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

you dont have turn signals in there btw, those are just parking lights. The turn signals are next to the fog lights. I replaced my lens and then rewired everything for a 1156 bulb which i then ordered a LED for that as my parking light. The difference only between a 00 and 03 is the color of the parking lights, yours has a slight green tint to it. PM me if you need more details as to what i did.
Old 04-28-06, 03:38 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

1LoudLX, bluestar,
Did you guys have to cut the factory harness to install the xenondepot HID's? It seems the GX xenondepot kits plug directly into the factory harness...no cutting whatsoever. One just plugs the xenondepot harness into the low beam connector on one side (OEM low beam harness triggers the relay), then wire the new harness to the battery.
Old 04-28-06, 04:09 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i had to cut the harness. However you can still keep the factory plug on the car side. The part i cut is actually attached to our low beam dust cap which then plugs into the car. Since you would be replacing that anyways if you were to put the Halogens back in so you wouldnt have a big hole in the cap. If i were to order the two dustcaps with the harness attached, i could swap it back to halogen in as long as it would take me to take the dustcap off, pop the HID out and pop in the Halogen and then unplug the HID harness and connect the dustcap and then screw it back on.
Old 04-28-06, 09:45 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Okay, thanks, guys! I just ordered the kit from xenondepot. There's a club lexus discount through Apr 30 (go to xenondepot/promo and use passcode CLGB06), so it's $355. I'm convinced now that I read the bulbs were rebased. That's necessary since the reflector is designed for a halogen bulb, whose filament is located in a different location than the HID arc. So one has to either do one of two things...either shim the bulb so the HID light arc to coincide with the focal point of the halogen reflector, or use a HID reflector. I'm convinced that the xenondepot kit is doing the former, so this avoid cheapie HID conversions where the bulb and reflector don't match, thus spraying light all over the place and blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 04-28-06, 11:53 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Jim, quit tryin to steal me treads! Good Explaination but XenonDepot.com has all that information on their website.
Old 04-29-06, 02:43 PM
gijoebruin
Driver School Candidate

Wahoo...just ordered mine!! I can't wait!

Quick Reply: New HID Kit Installed