LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

90k c/u what is important???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 07:55 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90k c/u what is important???

I have a 99 LX 470 In March of 04, I had the 60 k check up done. This consisted of...
change oil and filter...check and adjust brakes, ac filters, brake flush, engine oil and filter, top off all fluid levels rotate tires replace engin filter, air condition filter, engine coolant replace spark plugs clean lub and adust front wheel bearings for 4 wheel dr. replace limited slip rear dff fluid. lub propeller shaft lub drive shaft and retorque flange aud. valve insp. inspect drive belt inspect fuel lines hoses breaks hoses rotors etc. inspect steering linkages and gear box for leaks inspect ball joints and dust covers inspect auto trans fluid transfer case fluid and front and rear diff fluid height control fluid...

the two main things NOT done were wheel bearing repacked and I did not replace the ride height fluid.

I did the reg oil changes in between, and installed new battery at 80k, but at 85k...before big trip, had

oil/filters gasket changed
pwr ster flushed
tire rebalance

I am now at the 93k mark...and preparing myself for the big 90-95k check up that I know is a biggy. I am contemplating between the Toyota and Lexus dealership, because I am pretty certain at this point it is highly recommended to have the wheel bearings repacked and I am not sure the Toyota techs deal with this often enough. Along with this, a timing belt replacement.

My questions...

What other services..besides the oils/fluids flushed and refilled and filters replaced ....what else should I have taken care of. Is the bearing repack important? Does anyone get the height fluid flushed replaced??? I have read that this should never be fooled with..that it is best left alone. What advice can anyone offer? Thanks in advance...I hate having to do this with Christmas around the corner, but I always feel much better when my car has been to "the spa" for treatment.
Old 09-24-09, 04:20 PM
ewinder2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search there are lots of postings on this topic. You definitely want to do your timing belt and bearing repack. Both are important and something you don't want to risk.

I recently had my 90K service done. I was pretty frustrated with my dealership. They wanted 2.2K to do everything. So I opted for having them do the critical items only (TB, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump). Turned out to be 1K anyway. I repacked the wheel bearings myself and plan to do the rest of the fluid changes. Next I plan to change the diff fluids and transfer case fluids, transmission, power steering, coolant hoses/coolant and AHC.

There is alot of discussion regarding "flushing" vs draining and refilling. I'm still researching that. However, I am a firm believer in changing fluids regularly. Just be careful you use the recommended types.

Last edited by ewinder2; 09-24-09 at 04:24 PM.