LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Question on towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 10:39 PM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on towing capacity

I've been considering the LX470 and GX470 as tow vehicles. I will be towing my race car (BMW M3) with an aluminum trailer. Probably around 4500 lbs total with maybe an additional 500-800 lbs of wheels, tools, etc.

The reason I am not looking at an F250, Nissan Titan, Tundra V8, is that I will probably only do 2-4 races a year with BMWCCA and SCCA. My fiance does not like trucks. So, I was wondering your guys' thoughts on towing with this? If my trailer and car is around 5000 lbs, loaded up, that may be too much it appears ... or am I wrong?

It appears in 2002+ -- they downgraded tow capacity from 6500 lbs to 5500 lbs. Same engine; but, why the downgrade?

Second, is it true I cannot use a load-leveling hitch on the LX470?

Third, what is the GWVR of the vehicle? I believe I should add 10% to the weight of the car w/passengers, which is 500 lbs of 5000 lbs, correct?

I was going to buy used ... I want something my fiance can daily drive, and, for me, to use as a tow vehicle when necessary. I was looking at 2002 LX470's b/c that is when they went to the DVD touch-screen, correct? But, I think the tow weight changed that year as well.

Is this not a good vehicle to tow with? I did a search and some people are towing boats; but, the boats are around 2500-3000 lbs at best. Not that big. Plus, no one was using a load-leveling hitch that I could see ...

Your advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-05, 10:30 AM
royk
Driver School Candidate

Wow...we must be twins...I too leased my wife an LX 470 because I needed it to tow my E36 M3 track car.

We also looked at the GX and the Porsche Cayenne S and settled on the LX because we liked the styling and the Lexus reliability.

Now, ours is an '06 so not sure how much of what I learned apply but I'll try to give you some background info from my research.

Up to '05, the LX had a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. with the motor rated at 235 bhp. (Not sure about the towing capacity downgrade in '02 as stated in your post) And that worried me a bit because my trailer is an open Trailex aluminum trailer that only weighs about 850 lbs., the E36 is about 3,200 lbs. stock (I am having weight taken out of it as we speak, but not sure how much will be taken out). And then with a couple of additional sets of tires & wheels, plus tools, jack and fuel in the back of the SUV, it was getting too close for comfort.

Interestingly, the GX had a 6,500 lbs. towing capacity because it was already on the 275 bhp motor.

But then we found that the '06 MY LX has the 275 bhp motor and the capacity went up to 6,500 lbs. and that's why we got it.

I've been told by people who have lots of experience in towing both from the BMW CCA and vintage racers to have about 1,000 lbs. difference between the capacity and the actual towing load for some margin of safety.

It's true Lexus recommends a load bearing hitch, and not a load distributing hitch on my LX, and as the receiver was included as standard equipment I did not have much research on it.

So I got the LX precisely because I wanted it to tow a trailer with a track car on it, but admittedly know little about the specs from '02. And the Cayenne S actually had a very high capacity at 7,700 lbs. but the seats were not comfortable.

An alternative could be the VW Touareg, which is also rated at a robust 7,700 lbs. though the reliability is not comparable to the Lexus and am not sure what the resale market is like for it. The last resorts would be any of the domestic SUVs, like the Dodge Durango or the Ford Expedition, all have very good towing capacity and are simple to maintain or repair.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-25-05, 12:44 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a 96 toyota landcruiser and a lx470, my landcruiser is a 4.5L inline 6 and is rated at 5000lbs but in reality tows up to 7700lbs, Same with the LX470. These trucks can and will tow way more than they are rated too, the reason for the low ##'s is that in the US everyone wants to tow as much as they can and still have the preformance of the car w/o a trailer. so the automakers esp japaniese ones dumb down their numbers so they wont be accused of a poorly preforming truck or a under powered truck. I tow a 22+ foot boat with a loaded car and other goodies, which all in all amount to close to 6600lbs. both tucks tow this weight with no problems what so ever. So I think you guys should not have a problem.

here is a website that has a lot more info on these trucks, the 98+ toyota landcruiser lexus lx470 are classified as the 100 series, look in that forum and search around a bit. A lot of info will come up on towing with you rig.

IH8MUD.COM

Hope this helps

Tommy
Old 11-25-05, 11:05 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 Land Cruiser that has a 6,500 lbs tow rating.

I've towed my 21ft deckboat from Chicago to the Lake in the Ozarks (app. 500 miles) with no problems whatsoever. The boat weighs just over 4000 lbs. With the trailer and gear, I'm sure I was over 5000 lbs.

My only complaint was that my back end was sagging a bit, which shouldn't be a problem with the LX and '06 LCs that have the height/load leveling adjustment.

I believe the biggest reason for the downgrade was that Lexus went with the hitch mounted in the bumper (vs. below).

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Question on towing capacity-116_1641_2.jpg  
Old 11-27-05, 11:08 AM
Hoser
Driver

These are my suspicions:

The difference in towing capacity between the model years '98-02 vs '03-05 has nothing to do with engine horsepower. The difference is the hitch type. You'll notice that all 98-02 hitches were "under the bumper" while 03-05 LX's were integrated into the bumper. Though they made reinforcements to the 03-05 LX it is still rated for 5k lbs. Most, if not all, Land Cruisers had the under the bumper hitch and were rated at 6500lbs.

The good news is that you can fit a "under the bumper" hitch to any 03+ and gain back the rated capacity to tow 6500 lbs. Again, just my guesswork.
Old 11-27-05, 07:45 PM
cmotomn
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation The Answer!

The stated towing capacity of 1998 to 2002 LX470's is 6500 lbs with a "weight distributing" hitch mounted under the vehicle. All 2003 to 2005 LX470's have a standard integrated "weight carrying" hitch installed behind/through the bumper which is rated at only 5000 lbs. The 2003 to 2005 LX470's are still rated at 6500 lbs when a "weight distributing" hitch is installed under the vehicle. Lexus decided to eliminate the integrated "weight carrying" hitch for 2006 LX470's and changed the stated towing capacity back to 6500 lbs.
Old 11-28-05, 11:03 AM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the replies. I really appreciate it. That is some helpful information re: the load-leveling thing. Great to see it can tow as well very adequately.

Royk - I will not go with the 2006 LX for price reasons. We currently have an ES300 that does very well. The ES300 has 230K and runs strong. Only issue is the console stuff is faded and does not come on. It's also making clunking sounds from rear, akin to the RSM problem on the E36; but, no RSM in Lexus. So, I believe in Lexus reliability. Regarding the tow vehicle, I wanted to keep prices down around sub-30K range.

She really likes the GX470; but, have not spec'd out the difference in wheelbase. Plus, not sure if they are sub-30k yet. IIRC, around mid-upper 30's. I know the pre-2002 LX's are sub-30K though. I was looking at a 2004 GMC denali; but, the interior/fit and finish -- was not to my liking. Plus, prices drop on those with the red-tag discount like a rock right now. In one year, they lose about $15K and let's not try to think about after two. I want something that can tow, haul my dogs to visit the parents in IL (through snow weather), be a safe vehicle for my fiance, and last for a long time. She does not know how serious I am about the LX/GX ... hehe.

Do ALL LX's have the self-leveling suspension to avoid the drop in the rear? Is this an option that is included with the tow package?

What made you decide against the GX? Is the wheelbase smaller?

How is towing on the highway guys? Does the back-end feel floaty? Gusts of wind push you around?

With 1998-2002 -- the weight distributing hitch underneath the bumper -- does that mean a load-leveling attachment can be used? That is what many of the racers recommend -- not 100% sure what this means though.

Royk -- you can get the E36 M3 down to really light -- depending on what you want to sacrifice in it. I race in IP/ITE ... so, my car, with me in it -- is about 3100 lbs. Legal race weight for IP is 3048 lbs. You can easily get this car down to around 2800 lbs (all fluids sans driver). Take out the A/C = 50 lbs -- strip it (no passenger seat, remove sound deadening gunk (use dry ice)), LTW wheels, etc = 300 lbs. Take out speakers/stereo/amp = 15 lbs. Go with a custom exhaust = 50 lbs saved. So, you can get it down to 2800 lbs no problems. Even with a passenger seat -- I have a full race cage in mine which adds 200 lbs back. So, you can get down to 2600 lbs doing all that I recommended. Power/weight distribution would be awesome. You just need to get a 3.73/3.91 w.40% lockup LSD and you'll give the E46 M3 a run for its money.

I am just being a bit snobbish here ... I've looked at the older LC; but, love the interior of the Lexus and do want something that is a bit more posh for longer trips. The denali was great -- but, interior did not cut it. Wouldn't trust the X5 to tow crap ... without breaking, haha. How sad, I love BMW's but realize their shortcomings. In the long run -- I think the LX/GX would last the longest ...

Out of the LX's -- any years to avoid? Do all 1998-2002's come with HID? At minimal, I am looking for NAV, HID, the self-leveling suspension, and tow package. Damn, I guess I want something with ALL options ... I need NAV b/c some of these places I get lost going to ... DVD would be nice; but, I can live with CD-based NAV ... after using my BMW CD-based NAV, anything has got to be better

Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-03-05, 01:28 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jderry
Thanks guys for the replies. I really appreciate it. That is some helpful information re: the load-leveling thing. Great to see it can tow as well very adequately.

Royk - I will not go with the 2006 LX for price reasons. We currently have an ES300 that does very well. The ES300 has 230K and runs strong. Only issue is the console stuff is faded and does not come on. It's also making clunking sounds from rear, akin to the RSM problem on the E36; but, no RSM in Lexus. So, I believe in Lexus reliability. Regarding the tow vehicle, I wanted to keep prices down around sub-30K range.

She really likes the GX470; but, have not spec'd out the difference in wheelbase. Plus, not sure if they are sub-30k yet. IIRC, around mid-upper 30's. I know the pre-2002 LX's are sub-30K though. I was looking at a 2004 GMC denali; but, the interior/fit and finish -- was not to my liking. Plus, prices drop on those with the red-tag discount like a rock right now. In one year, they lose about $15K and let's not try to think about after two. I want something that can tow, haul my dogs to visit the parents in IL (through snow weather), be a safe vehicle for my fiance, and last for a long time. She does not know how serious I am about the LX/GX ... hehe.

Do ALL LX's have the self-leveling suspension to avoid the drop in the rear? Is this an option that is included with the tow package?

What made you decide against the GX? Is the wheelbase smaller?

How is towing on the highway guys? Does the back-end feel floaty? Gusts of wind push you around?

With 1998-2002 -- the weight distributing hitch underneath the bumper -- does that mean a load-leveling attachment can be used? That is what many of the racers recommend -- not 100% sure what this means though.

Royk -- you can get the E36 M3 down to really light -- depending on what you want to sacrifice in it. I race in IP/ITE ... so, my car, with me in it -- is about 3100 lbs. Legal race weight for IP is 3048 lbs. You can easily get this car down to around 2800 lbs (all fluids sans driver). Take out the A/C = 50 lbs -- strip it (no passenger seat, remove sound deadening gunk (use dry ice)), LTW wheels, etc = 300 lbs. Take out speakers/stereo/amp = 15 lbs. Go with a custom exhaust = 50 lbs saved. So, you can get it down to 2800 lbs no problems. Even with a passenger seat -- I have a full race cage in mine which adds 200 lbs back. So, you can get down to 2600 lbs doing all that I recommended. Power/weight distribution would be awesome. You just need to get a 3.73/3.91 w.40% lockup LSD and you'll give the E46 M3 a run for its money.

I am just being a bit snobbish here ... I've looked at the older LC; but, love the interior of the Lexus and do want something that is a bit more posh for longer trips. The denali was great -- but, interior did not cut it. Wouldn't trust the X5 to tow crap ... without breaking, haha. How sad, I love BMW's but realize their shortcomings. In the long run -- I think the LX/GX would last the longest ...

Out of the LX's -- any years to avoid? Do all 1998-2002's come with HID? At minimal, I am looking for NAV, HID, the self-leveling suspension, and tow package. Damn, I guess I want something with ALL options ... I need NAV b/c some of these places I get lost going to ... DVD would be nice; but, I can live with CD-based NAV ... after using my BMW CD-based NAV, anything has got to be better

Thanks for the replies!
Jderry,
I have a 2000 LX 470 which I use for towing about ten times per year. I pull a two-horse trailer (extra tall, extra wide with a 6 ft long tack/storage/changing room in front of the horse compartment) Weight is 3200# plus horses(another 2400#) plus tack trunks and loaded with saddles and equiptment easily 6000#'s. Obviously high profile as the box is something like 7'6" from floor to ceiling and the floor is above the axles. The LX handles very well when towing even fully loaded though I wish I had more power available when going up hills at higway speed. Mileage at 55/60 mph when loaded is about 11/gallon. Without the trailer I can get 16/17 mpg on the freeway. I use a load distributing hitch which is incorporated into the stinger. It consists of two steel bars that attache to the stinger on either side of the ball. They extend back in an "A" shaped configuration toward the tongue of the trailer and the ends hang by chains from hooks installed on the trailer's tongue. Cost about $350 for parts and installation. All LX's have the hydraulic leveling suspension even those with out the towing package. That is one of the distinguishing characteristics of the LX as compared to the LC. I think it was introduced in 98 with the switch to the V8 engine. HID are not available in any year up through 2005. Navigation (DVD based) was introduced as an option in 2001 and became standard issue in 2002 and beyond. The tow hitch was made standard in 2003 and can be used with load distributing devices. The ride of the LX is smooth and quiet easy to forget you are in a big SUV. The Suburbans, Navigators and most of the others all ride and handle like a truck when compared to the Lexus. Reliability goes without saying.
Old 12-03-05, 08:08 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

J,

Dont rule out the earlier 98-00LX. We have had our 99LX for years.....looked at the new GX and LX. But, in the end we decided to keep the 99LX and get a new LS. For added power??? I just finished installing one of the TRD superchargers. I will be happy to line up with any new 06LX and see who wins. hehe

Go buy a portable nav unit and save 30k over the newer LX. Prices for the 98-00 are 20-29k.

Towing power? We pull a Casita trailer ~3000lbs plus passengers and gear and I pull a STI plus trailer to local track events. I see a trend here....racers with LX comfort.

TRD supercharger? It rocks and I cant believe I didnt put one on years ago.
Old 12-03-05, 09:09 PM
Hoser
Driver

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
TRD supercharger? It rocks and I cant believe I didnt put one on years ago.
How's the power under 3500rpm? I'd like to go turbo but its a bit cost prohibitive right now. I'm looking for low end torque... where my 6k lb SUV needs it most.
Old 12-05-05, 07:48 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hoser,

All around driveability is fantastic. Power comes on right away and smooth as it just puts you back in your seat. Going from a 35-55mph roll and hitting wot? It is just instant boost and the LX just rockets. Boost comes on right off idle.

I have always been one for tuning....been building Supra's, turbo Celica's and now laptop tuning STI's. So, the first thing after install I was putting in a HKS boost gauge and taking O2 sensor a/f readings. Then running over to Toyota to make some runs with the OBDII scan tool. Timing reading were pulled the instant boost came on line, A/F looks to be in 12:1 range and boost is 7-8 under part throttle but ramps to 11 when wot. I need to check into that boost more...but the A/F is steady so it should be fine. I will install my LM-1 bung and make some data logs of the A/F. We all know Toyota's history with supercharger kits on the V-6 market. Not enough fuel was delivered and the trucks all had ping issues. Not really so here on the V8.
Old 12-06-05, 11:01 AM
Hoser
Driver

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
Hoser,

All around driveability is fantastic. Power comes on right away and smooth as it just puts you back in your seat. Going from a 35-55mph roll and hitting wot? It is just instant boost and the LX just rockets. Boost comes on right off idle.
Thanks for the review. I'd like to drive one equipped with an SC before I could make a final decision. It would have been nice to see a dyno plot of the before and after SC mod.
Old 12-06-05, 05:07 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I towed a 26' foot crusing boat with my LX470 and its a 99, i had no problem at all with control, power and even sagging. The truck rose right back up to normal level and i was amazed.
Old 12-07-05, 11:40 AM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the great info. Interesting to see a lot of track enthusiasts towing with the LX. I completely forgot I could just purchase one of those garmin GPS touch-screen things for $1K ... and, probably be better than the OEM NAV (at least pre-DVD wise).

That's great to hear that everyone is not having a problem towing w/the LX. Damn, I like HID's though .... I am surprised they did not come on the car until 2005. They were not even an option between 98-03?

If that's the case, I probably should just look for a 98-99 with good maintenance records then ... doesn't appear to be significant changes until around '02.
Old 12-08-05, 02:41 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a HID plug-n-play kit for around 200, and a indash dvd/navi 12 in 1 unit that will set u back 1000-1500, so with 1200-1700 you could have everything you liked on the 02+ on a 98-01 without having to pay 5-10K more.

just my 2 cents

Tommy

Quick Reply: Question on towing capacity