LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Upgrading the rear light with 2006 LED Style??

Old 08-12-05, 08:05 PM
SSSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the rear light with 2006 LED Style??

Hi,

I just bought 2005 Toyota Cygnus (Japanese version of LX 470).
Anybody knows if it is possible to upgrade the 2005 MY rear light to the 2006 LED style rear light?
I'm also thinking to upgrade the current Audio system. Mine doesn't come with Mark Levinson.

Thanks!

Agus
05' Toyota Cygnus Stock.
Old 08-13-05, 07:28 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tail light LED upgrade would be nice. I'm sure Lexus would charge an arm & a leg! And so few aftermarket ugrades available for the LX (despite having been around for 7 years), I doubt anyone would make aftermarket LED upgrade (hope im wrong though).
Old 08-14-05, 12:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LX470
The tail light LED upgrade would be nice. I'm sure Lexus would charge an arm & a leg! And so few aftermarket ugrades available for the LX (despite having been around for 7 years), I doubt anyone would make aftermarket LED upgrade (hope im wrong though).

That would be 8 years. Cant believe its been that long.
Old 08-20-05, 06:38 PM
LXGXfamily
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 LED taillights on earlier models

As for now, I am told by my buddy at Lexus Service that the LED won't work in the prior years. Seems there is some taillight bulb failure sensor that is not needed in the LED version. I"m not sure what mods it would take to make the swap. I know the new lights will be high dollar and will have to change the taillights and the lights on the rear gate. I am still trying to research this and if anyone else comes up with more info... PLEASE post it here. Thanks, Stubert.
GX
LX
'74 FJ40
'77 FJ40
Old 08-20-05, 09:50 PM
1998 LX470
Driver School Candidate

all you need to do is add a load resistor in series with the wires for each of the bulbs. it's very simple to do and a resistor is not expensive at all. i converted all my tail lights to LED arrays and added load resistors. No problems with fast blinking turn signals. the fast blinking turn signals work on the same mechanism as the bulb monitor on the newer models. so adding a load resistor can solve this problem as well.
Old 08-21-05, 02:21 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Can you provide us with info about where you purchased the parts & for how much. Any pics?
Thanks
Old 08-21-05, 06:47 PM
1998 LX470
Driver School Candidate

sure i'll be glad to help you out. i have a 98 lx470 with the same tail light configuration as any other LX until the model year 2005. just as reference, i will give you the bulb numbers:
1.) 4 red bulbs (brake and tail light) are 7443
2.) turn signals and reverse bulbs are 7440

there is more than one way of going about this conversion. what i did was simply buy LED LIGHT TOWER bulbs from http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm (scroll to middle of page).

now these bulbs lit up and turned off very rapidly, which is characteristic of all LED bulbs (light quicker and then turn off much quicker as well). im sure you've all noticed this difference when you see LED tail lights and stock tail lights. the only problem with this was that the bulbs were not nearly as bright as the stock bulbs. however, this is simply 'remove the old one and put in the new one" procedure.

a much better way to go about this is a little more involved. many people are able to make their own LED arrays; which are basically circuit boards soldered with the LEDs of their choice and resistors. if you cannot do this, you can also go to www.ledcar.com and purchase their premade LED arrays. i highly recommend that you do so. another good option is to buy LED trailer lights and then remove the outer lens plastic from the light. now you have a LED array you can use in your car. Now these arrays do not have the 7443 style sockets, which are wedge shaped. they only come with three wires attached to the circuit board. if you remove the tail gate and look at the wires leading to the tail light sockets in the car, there are also 3 of them (one is for brake; tail light; ground). you will need to cut the socket off and splice the wires from teh LED array to the wires in the car. make sure to wrap in electrical tape.

the most difficult part of this procedure is that the tail light plastic must be separated from the main housing so that you can insert the array. the tail light is made up of 2 parts: the red plastic and the housing (attached to car), which are sealed together. the hole in the housing is only big enough for one bulb and there is no way you can get any LED array through it. you must use a sharp blade to pry the 2 pieces apart, mount the led array with some hardware between the housing and plastic cover, run the wires through the hole the bulb, and seal it back together with silicone.

this is a great way to get bright LEDs into your LX. i definitely plan on doing it too. so my suggestion is that you do the second way; but, if you're really not into cutting wires and stuff, just go to the website and order the tower bulbs (they are the brightest they offer).

most important thing to remember is that though all the stock bulbs are that whitish-yellowish color behind the lens, when getting an LED bulb, you must match the color of the bulb to the color of the plastic it will go behind. for example, when you pull out the stock tail light bulb, it will not be colored. but you must buy a red LED bulb. do not buy white LED bulbs for anything but the reverse lights. buy amber for the turn signals. it's very important that you remember this.

also, some of you have brought up the fact that the faulty bulb sensors will light up when the LEDs are in place. When i replaced my stock bulbs with LED bulbs, the only problem I had was with turn signals, which blinked quickly. to solve this problem, you must buy a load resistor. the turn signal wiring harness consists of 2 wires. the resistor, pictured here http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm you will need to buy the one furthest to the left. as you can see, 2 wires emerge from the central resistor. each resistor wire must be attached to one of the wires coming out of the car. here's the tricky part: the wire has no ends to it. what you need to do is remove some of the rubber covering on the wire in the middle of the wire without cutting it. once wire is exposed, you can just twist it together with the resistor wires. wrap in electrical tape.

hope this isnt too confusing. really guys, i'd go for it and do it if you ahve the money and time. it's a nice project to do and will definitely improve the car's look. im not even thinking about doing it anymore; i've already made up my mind and am just waiting for some free time.
Old 11-02-06, 04:16 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I'm resurrecting this thread.

If you're still on the board, please post pics.
Old 11-02-06, 05:11 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

why? This is titled upgrading to 06 led style while the guy who posted did a modification. And he has a 98 and said its the same style till 2005 which is incorrect. The 2003-2005 has a slightly wider inner assembly and the reverse lights do not have a cutout as the bulbs are now placed on the special housing near the licence plates.

LED 7443 bulbs in a 1998-2002 will not set a bulb out indication on your gauge cluster as there is no warning for it. So for 100 dollars or tehre abouts you can get yourself some LEDs. But teh light output i dont think is sufficent for propper warning and brake lights are something i would never mess with....unless done properly. Now for some LED PCB boards mounted inside teh tailights thats nice, but after you do that you almost ALWAYS have a problem with building condensation inside the housing.

If you have a 2003-2005 buy the 2006+ tail lights and be done with it. Its the safest way and also updates the look of your truck. If you have a 1998-2002 you can mess around but i dont know if its safe to just do teh little replacement bulbs. Also opening up your housing almost always leads to condensation buildup.

If you have a 98-02 buy a tailgate setup for a 03+ from a junkyard and spray it to match your truck. Then get the 06 taillights.
Old 11-24-06, 09:38 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Oh man look at these... $345

New style aftermarkets...

We should seriously take a poll on who's interested, since their FAQ does say wholesale prices are available.

Last edited by aedgington; 11-24-06 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-24-06, 11:44 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

dude I want that!!!

lets try to get a clearence price w/ a group BUY!!

Last edited by LXotic; 11-24-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-25-06, 10:22 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I emailed the main distributor to see what the min. wholesale quantity was & price. I'm 99% sure I'm getting these. The spoiler is is second priority now
Old 11-25-06, 07:55 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

But wait... how can that fit if the tailights are different sizes
like 1LoudLX said "The 2003-2005 has a slightly wider inner assembly "
and Autohobbyasia is telling us it will fit all LXs...
Old 11-25-06, 08:01 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I also asked the distributer about that.
Old 11-25-06, 08:10 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

and he said back....what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading the rear light with 2006 LED Style??