LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

06 LX470 pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 06:14 PM
gteach26
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more foldown arm rests?!

Do my eyes deceive me or did Lexus finally get rid of those little folding arm rest thingies in the LX? It looks like they installed a larger center armrest to compensate. IF that is the case I say HOORAY!!

Nice pics... thanks.
Old 04-25-05, 07:20 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Love the refresh... does give the vehicle a nice touch of modern look.
Bad news is, refresh = another two or more years before a true redesign.
Where's JX470 anyway?
Perhaps I'm the only one, but I'm worried a the redesign will compromise the vehicle. I'm not sure if the rumors are true but I have heard the next LC and LX will share a platform with the new Tundra and Sequoia (and the Sequoia's Lexus counterpart). IMO this means the next LC and LX won't be a great as they could have been.

I'm sure it will still be a great vehicle, and probably "nicer" than the current one. It probably won't have more than price and a few trim/electronics options to truly separate it from the rest of the vehicles.

I think one of the best things about the current LX and LC is the platform it is on. It is more than a high cost version of another vehicle right now. Hopefully I will be surprised when the new one comes out, but I guess we will see.
Old 04-25-05, 08:30 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
Perhaps I'm the only one, but I'm worried a the redesign will compromise the vehicle. I'm not sure if the rumors are true but I have heard the next LC and LX will share a platform with the new Tundra and Sequoia (and the Sequoia's Lexus counterpart). IMO this means the next LC and LX won't be a great as they could have been.

I'm sure it will still be a great vehicle, and probably "nicer" than the current one. It probably won't have more than price and a few trim/electronics options to truly separate it from the rest of the vehicles.

I think one of the best things about the current LX and LC is the platform it is on. It is more than a high cost version of another vehicle right now. Hopefully I will be surprised when the new one comes out, but I guess we will see.

I agree completely.
Old 04-25-05, 09:15 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Very nice update on the platform.

Don't forget, the next LX will have to conform to car-compatibility crash testing requirements...meaning it will have a lowered front suspension/bumper (aka GX470/4runner). This will reduced it's approach angle in off-roading...and ground clearance (again, see 4runner/GX)!

Also, the Sequoia platform is inferior to the TLC/LX platform in terms of off-roading features. The rack-pinion steering is low in the Sequoia...in the LX, it is tucked up high, away from rocks. Also, the underbody of the Sequoia is not nearly as clean nor as well-protected. Front suspension will probably go to coil springs (like GX and 4runner) to save space and possibly more compliance on-road. However, this will result in greatly reduced wheel articulation in the front. The current LX/TLC has the BEST RTI (ramp travel index) of ANY SUV/truck with independent front suspension according to FourWheeler!!

So, i would recommend everyone to get the current LX ASAP! I would if i was in the market! It's a dying breed...SUVs that can do more than go to the local mall strip!
Old 04-26-05, 12:00 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99

Don't forget, the next LX will have to conform to car-compatibility crash testing requirements...meaning it will have a lowered front suspension/bumper (aka GX470/4runner). This will reduced it's approach angle in off-roading...and ground clearance (again, see 4runner/GX)!

Also, the Sequoia platform is inferior to the TLC/LX platform in terms of off-roading features. The rack-pinion steering is low in the Sequoia...in the LX, it is tucked up high, away from rocks. Also, the underbody of the Sequoia is not nearly as clean nor as well-protected. Front suspension will probably go to coil springs (like GX and 4runner) to save space and possibly more compliance on-road. However, this will result in greatly reduced wheel articulation in the front. The current LX/TLC has the BEST RTI (ramp travel index) of ANY SUV/truck with independent front suspension according to FourWheeler!!

So, i would recommend everyone to get the current LX ASAP! I would if i was in the market! It's a dying breed...SUVs that can do more than go to the local mall strip!
I couldn't say it any better
Old 04-27-05, 11:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could just be me, but I feel like the refreshed LX taillights make it look like the Lincoln Aviator taillights.
Old 04-27-05, 01:01 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up Right on!!...Thai

Originally Posted by tigmd99

.....you pretty much took the words out of my mouth!!....Like others have said here, I'm not looking for a complete redesign. This vehicle is still awesome even after being 7 years into it's design life. The ONLY MAJOR SHORCOMING of this vehicle is it's ENGINE PERFORMANCE. ALL IT NEEDS IS THE VVT-i 4.7 liter V8 producing 270bhp and 330lb.ft. as in the GX/4runner. This would make it just perfect!!! .....IF, AND ONLY IF, they go ahead and put this VVT-i motor in there, I'll take the plunge and get one!!
Old 04-27-05, 01:22 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Not much else to say - the current LC/LX is a classic as it is. Will be very interested to see how agressive they go with the 2007. I am all for technological improvements, but to see the classic lines disappear will be a bitter pill. Given limited volume, you would think Toyota would be interested in keeping its loyal customer base happy and a move to a shared frame with Sequoia/Tundra is something that would create a lot of unrest. Hopefully, they frequent these boards and will keep this in mind with the future design.
Old 04-28-05, 08:44 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Red face No way they will discontinue the LX/LC - read on

Let me say the following about Toyota/Lexus

No way they will discontinue the LX/LC
Reasons:

* Name recongnition - LC has been around for over 50 years (I think). Everyone knows the LX is a more upscale version of the LC.

* Proven 4x4 History - Proven track record of being in the same league and having the durability and 4x4 traction as Land Rover and Hummer.

* Known not only in the US but Internationally for Luxury and 4x4 durability.

* No way they will share latforms and major parts with the Sequoia. GM made this mistake selling Chevys, Buicks, Pontiac, and Cadillac as the same vehicle but with different options and front and rear bumpers. (look at Hummer H2 and Tahoe) Same Chasis, but very different.

* Toyota/Lexus management. Give them proper credit. They are 100 times smarter than the management at Ford/GM. Looks, for sells hundreds of thousans of Explorers/Excursions and

* GM sells tons of Tahoe, Yukon, Excalade. But for how much.?
Both auto makers are trying to figure out where to put the rebate and special financing stickers on their cars. They aren't making much on their truck sales.

* Also, reliability, both GM and Ford try to say "300HP, 330HP", etc .... their trucks are junk after 2-3 years. Go ask some Lincol Navigator owners.

* Lexus/Toyota truck may not have the HP under the hood, but they have engines designed to last 100,000 miles without any repair, and upto 300,000 miles with minimal repair.
GM/Ford SUV's need major repair from the date of purchase.

I think both the LC and LX will be around for years to come. Trust me, Toyota/Lexus will make the next LX/LC 10 times better than they are now. Count on it.

* The next LX/LC will be designed first as a Top of the Line Lexus SUV, then downgraded to Toyota level.

Just me opinions, not facts. I am open to other opinions.
Old 04-28-05, 12:26 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Very good points vipermann1!!

I agree, I think Toyota will keep the Land Cruiser name going. But remember there has been talk about Lexus having their own vehicles with the L-FINESSE design. The new GS430 is the first step because it is the first dedicated Lexus vehicle and does not have a Toyota counterpart like in the past. Though I've read somewhere that the GS430 and the new IS350 will share many suspension components but now we are talking platform sharing between Lexus vehicles only.

We don't know if the LX470/RX330 will follow the same faith as the GS430 and the new IS350. I think platform sharing is still the most cost effective way of manufacturing and I believe Toyota will continue to do so discretely.

If you look at the latest truck platform that was built by Toyota, you can probably tell where the future is heading. The Lexus GX470 shared its chassis with the 4Runner and the Tacoma. The Land Cruiser however has always had a dedicated chassis as far as I know, lets hope it will in the future as well. I would not be surprised to see the Land Cruiser share it's chassis with the Sequoia in the near future. Just imagine Lexus LX with QX56 proportions.

Remember, the global market is constantly evolving. Most automobile manufacturers target North American buyers because sales here are the greatest. So, they are constantly changing their vehicles to satisfy our demands. Right now, that trend seems to be larger, more powerful vehicles with more creature comforts.

From my observation, Toyota Motor Corporation in general has been droping specialized vechicles from their line up. It could be due to lack of sales, or a shift in the company image. Most recently dropped, were the Supra, Celica and the MR2. Thus, it looks very likely that the Land Cruiser platform will be furthur softend down for the next generation, like we have seen for the past 2 decades.

Regards,
Charleston

Last edited by CivicFerio; 04-28-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 05:57 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Default please make it stop!!!!

Being a GS owner and seeing a brand new model come out brought tears to my eyes. Why? Because I realized how sorely outdated mine looked in comparison to it, especially the interior. My mother-in-law feels the same way after going from her RX300 to test driving a new RX330 last week. I thought for the longest time that both of our cars would stand the test of time and still look modern, but after seeing what Lexus could improve upon style-wise, I feel helpless. This probably has alot to do with the fact that they make no real changes to the car in almost 8 years, kinda like the LX. Even my brother-in-law's GX seems dated after seeing the direction Lexus is taking with its futuristic interior design, and the LX is almost the same as that. I can't believe that any current LX owner isn't dying for a change after so long with only minor updates! With the reliability of these cars, do you think tinted headlights and refreshed taillights are gonna convince someone to trade in for a couple of hundred dollars worth of mods that could just be added to their current LX?? Lexus needs something that will destroy Escalades and Range Rovers, which I think the next LX will do tenfold, I think it will be a statement truck for them. Assuming that '06 will be the last year of this style and that they'll introduce an '08 next year (like the '06 GS in '05), I'd wait for pics before buying this one just for an engine bump.
Old 04-29-05, 12:10 PM
flyfishman
Driver

I hope sources regarding a redesigned model are accurate because my dealer indicated that the LC is being discontinued. Said they have been in the process for a couple of years now to phase it out. Given that the dealers are usually the last to know, I would take with a grain of salt. Makes you wonder though, whether Toyota/Lexus may be transitioning the LX for the U.S. only and keep the LC overseas. Obviously, they would be insane to get rid of the LC "brand equity" nameplate, but its clearly better recognized/appreciated abroad.
Old 05-07-05, 09:25 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Does the new Toyota FJ have "Land Cruiser" in it's name?? If so, then that may be one way Toyota keeps the Land Cruiser heritage going.

I am not even sure if the current TLC is selling well?? Maybe Toyota will not build a high-price SUV anymore...that would be Lexus territory. Right now, it's kinda strange with the Lexus GX and TLC being the same price (more or less).

So, my guess is that Toyota will sell, RAV4, Highlanders, FJ ("Land Cruiser"??), 4runners, and Sequoia.

Lexus will sell RX, GX, and LX/LV.

Thai.