LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Ignition Switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 05:45 AM
mdt525
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ignition Switch replacement

My wife was shopping, of all things, in her lx470 on Friday night. After returning to the car and inserting the key in the ignition it litterally went from the 0 position past 1 2 and then to 3. The key had free play and the lx was dead. The car recognized the key because the key light near the heater went off but the radio, heat, lights etc were all dead.

Is the fix as simple as replacing the ignition switch? If so will she have to carry around 2 keys ( 1 to put in the door and the other for the ignition). I know that they keyless entry can be reprogrammed.

Thanks

Ice

99LX470 black his
Kenwood in dash dvd w/ surround sound
headrest monitors
nav system
sub

99LX470 Green hers
stock
Old 12-15-04, 09:06 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may not be the ignition switch. do you have any electrical power?
is it that you have electrical, but the truck won't start?
Old 12-15-04, 09:30 AM
mdt525
Driver School Candidate

I do not get power. When I insert the key the security light goes off but it won't even allow power for the radio or anything else. It slides from insert key position to the engage starter position freely.
Old 02-01-05, 05:26 PM
tantheman
Driver School Candidate

How was ingition switch problem solved? I have same on 2000 LX. My tear down indicates it may be ignition bracket which goes from switch to steering column assembly. What was cost to repair?
Thanks
Old 02-01-05, 08:03 PM
BP01LX
Driver School Candidate

This just happened to me last week on my 2001 LX470!....Luckily in my driveway!....Lexus quoted me 8 hours and $189.00 for the part plus towing.There is a pot metal tab about 4" below the end of the key that broke allowing the key to spin freely in the ignition.Basically you must remove a lot of "stuff" under the dash to access the key tumbler casing.The real struggle is that the bolts that hold it on the steering wheel linkage are "shear" bolts and the only way to back them out is to carefully start them out with a sharp punch.....I did this job myself (courage/stupidity/thrift,I am not sure....) and would recomend it to only the most stalwort DIY'er.It took me a little over 6 hours and a hail Mary call to a Master Tech friend with a die grinder to remove one of the shear bolts (that's by far the hardest part of the job)
Good Luck!
Old 02-01-05, 08:04 PM
mdt525
Driver School Candidate

That was the part exactly. The part was around $200 and the total repair was around $350 if I am not mistaken. It was a big headache.
Old 10-04-11, 05:50 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Exclamation Mine broke now.

Just the same as everyone else. Can anyone direct me to someone with a place that has used parts. Been kind of a tough year abd need to save a few bucks. I already have the cam out and am in the middle of trying to repair it until I get some cash in my hands.

If anyone can help, please let me know. Send me a pm or e-mail me at auteeth@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance,
Darren
Old 10-20-11, 07:38 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Fixed, found part on parts.com for $132.00. Was at a local dealership that I could drive too and pick up.
Old 10-20-11, 07:55 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is the name of the part?

Sounds like the same thing happened to my wife today. Anywhere I can get it the same day?
Old 10-21-11, 12:13 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Default Kee it simple.

Originally Posted by Bullelk
What is the name of the part?

Sounds like the same thing happened to my wife today. Anywhere I can get it the same day?
Check out the site that I posted. They had the best price. My wife knows how to find stuff online. (Sometimes unfortunately) They can overnight it to you. Repair is pretty easy, I just pulled out the cam I needed. Nosense spending hours for a small part. Too bad they don't sell just the cam. But, I do belive it's a security issue. Just didn't want to deal with the breakaway bolts and the rest of it. Like keeping it simple and inexspensive. There is always a way.
Old 10-21-11, 04:18 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Today I bought the part and bolts from Lexus dealer and had truck towed to nearby Toyota dealer. Parts were $300, labor was $315.

For the future......What do you mean pulled out the"cam" you needed?

Thanks
Old 10-28-11, 12:07 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition Cylinder broken

This pb has been discussed in the past...If you do a search for Ignition Cylinder broken on lexus forum you will find how to start the car so a tow is not required and how to replace the broken cam without removing the steering column..It happened to me and the part from lexus was $200 and labor from a private shop was $480....I later found out total cost from lexus was about $720..Hope this helps...
Old 11-13-11, 03:00 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Default Here's the cam.

Tis is made out of crap alloy. Too bad they don't sell just this part.
Attached Thumbnails Ignition Switch replacement-img_3772.jpg  
Old 01-28-12, 07:47 PM
NewLexus11
Driver School Candidate

Yes the LX's are notorious for the key cylinder housing breaking and the key just free spins when inserted and turned to start the truck. This will not allow the actual ignition switch to turn and send the signal to the starter to engage.
Old 02-06-12, 02:01 PM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The real pisser is that Lexus redesigned the cam. The new part is thicker and has redius added where they break.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch replacement