LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

In the market for an LX470/450

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 01:04 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Pitbull, its true that the dealer's approach to fixing breakdowns is usually to just replace the component involved. No attempts at rebuild or repair. That's fine for vehicles still under warranty but gets very expensive when you have to foot the bill yourself. I have run into the same situation with the blacked out instrument needles, too. Lexus has no fix available for the cracked needles caused by heat generated by the surface mounted light emitting diodes, so you have to buy an $800 part and spend $300 for installation. However, LexTech lighting, one of this forum's sponsors, does offer an alternate solution if your willing to do the removal and replacement of the dashboard module yourself. Depending on what lighting options you choose, you can get the lights back on for as little as $100 or so. Same sort of situation exists for worn control arm bushings. Lexus makes you buy a new control arm rather than sell a replacement bushing which almost doubles the cost. Once again, fine when they're paying for it but it would be nice if you had the option of how you want to handle repairs when you're bearing the cost yourself.
Old 06-12-04, 03:49 PM
JFlo
Lead Lap

You all have been a great help!! I have decided to go with a '99 LX470 in Black. Now .... if I could only find one.

Anyways, I choose this year because it seems to give me the most truck for my money.

I can't wait to find one.
Old 06-12-04, 07:49 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

95 Red,

E Bay currently has several 1999 LX 470's with less than 100,000 mi for less than $25,000. You can do a little better on some 98's ( the first year the V8 was available). Anything still under factory warranty will cost considerably more, obviously. Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll love the SUV.
Old 06-25-04, 03:36 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default ....

If you can tolerate the looks of the LX450 and your looking for a ridiculously reliable luxury car at a great price then don't let anything stop you.

Mine is for sale, I have had 5 different SUV's all in anticipation of selling the LX450. You know what has happened to all of them? They all LITERALLY broke down and the LX450 was always sitting in the garage for me, perfect and ready to roll. Besides all of that, no car will make you feel more safe in any type of driving conditions and it's not just a feeling, this vehicle is unstoppable, never driven anything like it.

As great as she has been to me I am still selling her though. I can't stand SUV's anymore and I feel I am too young to be driving around a living room everywhere I go, 5 years is long enough with one car. It's time for me to baby a new car.

Oh and one more thing, no matter what anyone tells you there isn't a single person on this board with more knowledge of the LX450 than me. If you need anything or have any questions just let me know.
Old 06-27-04, 08:01 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ....

Oh and one more thing, no matter what anyone tells you there isn't a single person on this board with more knowledge of the LX450 than me. If you need anything or have any questions just let me know.
Oh man...what an ego. Sure Francis, I'll take you on with your knowledge of the 450. BTW, let's start off right...and refer to the rig as what it really is -- the 80 series Land Cruiser (albeit with a few frills).

Does your 450 have the optional locking front and rear differentials? If so, I can help you sell that puppy pronto (assuming your asking price is reasonable for your region).

(before anyone gets offended -- I mean no offense. I just love a nice challenge )

Last edited by dougjohn; 06-27-04 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 08:10 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: ....

Originally posted by dougjohn
Oh man...what an ego. Sure Francis, I'll take you on with your knowledge of the 450. BTW, let's start off right...and refer to the rig as what it really is -- the 80 series Land Cruiser (albeit with a few frills).

Does your 450 have the optional locking front and rear differentials? If so, I can help you sell that puppy pronto (assuming your asking price is reasonable for your region).

(before anyone gets offended -- I mean no offense. I just love a nice challenge )
I owned a 1995 FZJ80 for 137K miles, and I've been what you could call a LC nut. One thing I've not heard mentioned on this thread is the need to repack the birfield at a 90K mile interval. The FZJ80 LC/LX450. If you really want to know what to look for ask the experts and go to this site. www.ih8mud.com these guys really us their LC's for what they were built to do and can give you all of the information you need. But after you join the site use the search tool first then ask questions. Example they have members that have over 250K miles and use them off road on a regular basis. Your right the LC and the LX450 are the same, only difference is softer shocks and springs on the LX450 and some body cladding and softer leather. The springs and shocks can be corrected with OME's.

Last edited by PitBull; 06-28-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 01:34 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Hey Pitbull,
I recognize you from the 'mud site. I'm on there too (as well as the pirate board and the various 80s email lists). I haven't mentioned the other boards publicly here because it's sometimes frowned upon (not that anyone has mentioned it on this particular board...yet).

I've owned an 80s series for well over 8 years now and have been through or have personally known someone who's been through the more "common" issues as well as some of the more unusual things that can happen with the LC/LX.

I thought the birfield repack was done at 60k intervals -- is it 90k? I've been doing mine at 60 -- no harm though...

Based on your presense here, I take it you have a LX 450 now?
Old 06-28-04, 04:13 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by dougjohn
Hey Pitbull,
I recognize you from the 'mud site. I'm on there too (as well as the pirate board and the various 80s email lists). I haven't mentioned the other boards publicly here because it's sometimes frowned upon (not that anyone has mentioned it on this particular board...yet).

I've owned an 80s series for well over 8 years now and have been through or have personally known someone who's been through the more "common" issues as well as some of the more unusual things that can happen with the LC/LX.

I thought the birfield repack was done at 60k intervals -- is it 90k? I've been doing mine at 60 -- no harm though...

Based on your presense here, I take it you have a LX 450 now?
I sold my FZJ80 with 137K miles on it. Bought a new ride 4th generation 4runner, samething as the Lexus GX470, I love it, has the V8 and 5speed and is built in the same factory as the GX470 over in Japan (I just didn't want to pay for leather and wood and liked the looks of the 4runner better than the GX). I never had any problems with my LC, used all types of antifreeze and flushed the system every year. Never did the birfields and mine never leaked or popped. Just did regular oil service and drove it. The reason I sold it, I wanted a new ride that was smoother. The FZJ80's ride a little rough, but they are great. I just come over here because I've owned a SC400, LS400 and ES300 and almost bought a LX470 when I ended up with the 4runner.
Old 06-28-04, 05:08 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default :)

It's not really an ego thing, I was more trying to get the idea across that I could give all the info on the LX450 that he needed. I have been on Clublexus since the old old old old old message boards, the junky EZ board ones. I don't post like I used to, I only post when I have something informative to say or something that strikes me. Not just "nice car" or "I just washed it, what do you think" .

Sorry my FJ80 with Lexus badges, side moldings, softer shocks and more sound deadening does not have the lockers, unless you wanna put it in 4x4 low .

Besides, if your looking for lockers you probably want to off-road it and after you see my car you would not want to buy it even if it did have them. It is in absolute pristine condition, I know everyone says that about their car but if you own a Landcruiser you know how difficult it is to uphold it, not the mechanical aspect of it but the physical and mine looks like it just rolled off the factory beside some very minor rock chips and the dreaded Toyota leather condition. I have babied it to hell and back, which is another reason why I am selling it, this is the wrong car to baby....I am too young for such a rig.

It is nice to see so many 80 series guys come out of the woodworks, where the hell were you guys 4 years ago when I needed you?!?!?
Old 06-30-04, 08:35 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

I don't know about not wanting to wheel a clean LX 450. The wife's is pristine -- and it'll become my trail rig some eventually. My 450 was fairly nice before I began the mods -- although she's still one of the prettiest on the trail.

Where was I 4 years ago? Hanging out on the various LC lists -- had the '94 back then. Picked up the LX 450 about 2 and a half years ago -- found this site only recently.

As for which of the two you should keep -- the 450 or the Rover, I'd lean toward the 450. If it was a newer RR (with the BMW engine), I'd say RR all the way, but the '97 RR isn't all that special, IMHO.
Old 07-01-04, 04:18 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default ....

Thanks for the input but actually the Rover's engine blew long ago, so has the expedition, the Escrapalade and the QX4. I am very bored with the LX, having it for 5 years, but everytime I buy an SUV to replace it they all turn to junk and the LX is waiting for me ready to go.

I guess I should update my signature, I still have the LX, I recently purchased a GS400 and I sold my Supra a few months ago because my dad was afarid I was going to kill myself. I'm still looking for a sports car and the GS is for sale as I only bought it to enjoy while I found a summer car and I got it ridiculously cheap at an auction.