LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

QX vs. LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-04, 10:06 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QX vs. LX

Wow!!! I went to the Infiniti dealer today to check out the new QX56. Loaded out with what few options there are it was about $55K. The front seats are a LOT more comfy than my LX or the new one I looked at last week (IMHO). Way more rear seat room and back seats fold completely flat. Laser cruise, power hatch, rear parking sensors and rear camera, heated rear seats, captain chairs in rear, front right/left dual zone climate control, as well as rear area climate control. Adjustable pedals with memory, SUPER FAST (for size of vehicle, and in comparison to LX) acceleration, 9,000 pound towing, XM OR Sirius satellite radio that works through factory Bose stereo (no FM modulation or aftermarket stuff). HID headlights (hello Lexus) that are power adjustable up or down. Does not have height adjustable suspension, power fold rearview mirors, ride control, or night vision system available. I tried to mention differences that the QX56 has that the Lexus LX doesn't have. It has everything the Lexus has plus all that is mentioned i.e. DVD ent. system, etc. etc.

I have a 2000 LX 470 and I love it. But, I went to my Lexus dealer and he won't budge off of a $71K price tag for an '04 LX. I have no doubt the LX is a much better off road vehicle, but that is not super important to me. I can't justify a $16K difference in price for a smaller, less powered vehicle with significantly less options. I'm not ******* Lexus, just trying to make an objective comparison. Lexus needs a replacement for the LX and NOW. Not a rebadged Sequoia. They need a new vehicle. I mean, the Acura MDX makes 265 HP vs. the LX's 235. I understand that torque is important and that the LX has plenty, but Lexus should give us more of both!!!! I know you guys will shred me for this blasphemy, but I'm going to put a deposit down on one of these before Infiniti realizes they can raise the price on this vehicle $10K and still be less than competitors. Am I way out of line on my thinking??

Doc C (wanting to stick with the big L, but also wanting to keep $16,000!!!)
Old 02-13-04, 11:58 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't own one but here's my comments on why I would prefer the LX. But I saw one today in person and wow the QX looks better in person but no Thanks.

-LX interior looks better
-LX has Bluetooth
-LX will most likely have a better resale value
-LX has Mark Levinson not some cheap Bose
-LX I would think has a smoother ride
-LX is more stylish
-LX has backup camera

I've read that the Nissan Pathfinder Armada has a pretty noisy cabin , I don't know if the QX56 is the same.

Well, I don't know buddy I didn't realize the QX56 had that much more features. But to me the LX470 is better.
Old 02-14-04, 11:32 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Yeah, the Lexus has the backup camera. I forgot about that. It doesn't have the rear parking sensors I don't think?? They said the QX is the quietest Infiniti ever built and I'd believe it. I have a friend who test drove the Armada and he said it was real noisy. I think the QX is every bit as quiet as the LX and it rode at least as well as the LX. Probably because of the longer wheelbase. As far as the Bluetooth goes....I have heard nothing but problems with that and a lot of cell carriers (Verizon etc.) don't have that available (and won't for awhile). As far as stylish-ness and interior, that's all subjective I guess. I think the materials and feel of the interior is as good or better than the LX. Better storage options and things that cater to women who will most likely be driving these vehicles (adjustable pedals, dual stage airbags, easier seat adjustment) The birdseye view on navigation system is real nice. I like Infinit's steering wheel that has wood on the front and leather on the back. It just feels and looks classy. I do like the middle row captain's chairs and the ease of flipping a lever and BOTH rows of back seats going completely flat is a big advantage IMO, rather than wrestling with the 3rd row seats to remove or fold them up and then tethering with that little seatbelt hook thing. The Bose system sounded real good and the 6 disc changer is in the dash (where God intended) and not in the glove box. I don't think it sounds as good as the ML though. I agree the LX MIGHT win the depreciation battle, but do you think it will make up the $16,000 initial difference in price? Exterior styling is somewhat odd, but it's grown on me. The rear LED tailights are a lot nicer looking than LX IMO. Those power adjustable HID headlights are sharp looking too. Would be handy to have in a snowstorm so you can lower the beam and reduce glare. Infinitis used to depreciate like rocks, but everything they've released lately has been a HUGE success. Also, being #1 in customer satisfaction again will help depreciation. The QX does not have a voice activated option on the NAV system, or a Lexus Link equivalent. It also has a tire pressure monitoring system and I don't know if the '04 LX has that or not.

I understand the LX is dated, and so it can't be made bigger or more powerful without some major retooling and engineering costs. I guess my confusion is why it can't keep up with the "bell and whistle" factor of other SUVs. Satellite radio, laser cruise, parking sensors, power pedals, HID headlamps, better storage, heated rear seats, in dash 6 disc changer, Power rear hatch, better airbags, LED lamp systems, tire pressure monitoring system, all seem like things that could have been added in an evolutionary process to the LX. Especially when it is at such an initial premium dollarwise. It makes you think that if they added that list of items that are standard on other SUVs, it would push the cost of the LX into the low to mid $80K range. It is an AMAZING vehicle, but Navigator,Escalade,Range Rover, Infiniti, are fresh new SUVs that are starting to outdo the LX in most categories for $10,000+ less. Many of these features aren't on the GX and it is a practically brand new model. It is the one that competes pricee-wise with the Infiniti, but it is not close to the level of the QX. I wish Lexus would have just one person read these forums and listen to their biggest fans. Like I said in my last post, I am not running down the LX. I love mine and have always thought I will buy a new one. I guess I'm upset with Lexus for not passionately pursuing perfection, but passively peddling perfection that's 6 years past. Go ahead and tear me to shreds.

Doc C
Old 02-15-04, 02:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wait if you can

I think you'd best compare the QX to newer models which will hopefully debut from Lexus. A New LX and then the rumored VX on a new Sequoia platform. So I'd wait it out, but I agree with you that Lexus needs to redo this neglected model. They've let it remain nearly the same for far too long. And the Range Rover is more expensive than the LX.
Old 02-15-04, 05:07 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Good points. I saw an interview with the Lexus of North America guy.....I can't remember his name, but he was talking about how Lexus has spent a lot of time in the last few years developing their SUV line and in the next couple of years (2007) they will have re-designed every car in their lineup. He was saying the cars have been neglected recently in favor of SUV development and now the cars were going to get more attention. I think that's awesome, but I hope they squeeze the LX in there somewhere quick. I would think the Sequoia would be ready for a redesign soon as well, since it competes right with the Pathfinder Armada. If they use the current Sequoia for a platform for the new LX, I'll definitely be going to the Infiniti dealer faster than Michael Jackson to a NAMBLA convention!!!! Yeah, the Range Rover is more expensive, but it certainly made a huge leap in quality and appeal with its last redesign. I just would like a little glimmer of when Lexus was thinking about the new LX or VX or whatever!!! Take care.
Old 02-15-04, 05:11 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Denny Clements was the guy referenced in the above post. Sorry about that.
Old 02-15-04, 08:01 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I selected 'compare' at the Infiniti QX56 webpage ( http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-52321,00.html ) , QX56 has 80 more HP, 4,000 lb more towing capacity, over $14K lower in base price than the LX. Infinite usually depreciate faster than Lexus so one probably can get a low-mileage QX56 for an attractive price.

March 04 of Motor Trend tested a Nissan Armada and gave it best-in-class torque and throttle response, best-in-class transmission. 0-60 7.1 and 1/4M 15.34 is pretty good for a 5,289 lb SUV. However Armada had the hightest noise at 60MPH but MT mentioned the Armada comes equipped with an antidote: an excellent sound system. Nissan probably will add more sound insulation in the QX56.

I love my GS4 but don't think I want the current LX if I am in the market for a SUV.
Old 02-16-04, 07:58 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

To get perspective I asked my friend to go and test drive one (QX56). He said it was quieter than his '01 LS430. I told him he was crazy. He said that it was at least AS quiet as his LS. It is a very quiet vehicle. I haven't driven the Pathfinder Armada, but I will say I think the QX is as quiet as my LX. Infiniti knows how to build a good vehicle. I had an I30t that I drove to my satellite office 120 miles one way. I put over 200,000 miles on it in 3 years (glad I didn't lease it!!!!). I sold to my office manager and she's got 317,000 miles on it. It still runs so quiet, you can't hear or feel the engine running at idle. My LX has been a great car until recently. It now has the exhaust manifold problem that is typical with that model. Also, I have some transmission "thunks" that don't sound good. It's been only a highway cruiser and I have 89,000 miles on it. Of course, I'm out of warranty. I may have just had a great Infiniti and an odd Lexus, but depreciation value doesn't mean much when you've had my experience. I think Infiniti depreciation woes are a thing of the past with their new lineup. Good day to all.
Old 02-19-04, 09:52 AM
Milla...

The whole depreciation thing remains to be seen with the new infinity's, I thought the same with when they came out with previous design Q45 but to no avail. I do understand your point with the comparison, for as much as the LX cost you would think they would have those things on the new one. Oh well I'm content with mine those conveniences are nice to have but I wont die without them.
Old 02-22-04, 12:43 AM
2k2Lx470
Driver School Candidate

The Qx56 does have the rear camera. It started with Infiniti q45 which was the first vehicle that had the camera back in 2001 or early 2002, and now everyone (lexus) is including on higher end vehicles and trucks.
Old 02-22-04, 03:58 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Doc C

I totally understand your concerns with the LX. I too have had the same gripes and complaints about the toys/gadgets that are just not available for this SUV. I bought my father a 2002 LX and he could not be happier! (without of course getting a newer model)but he is very biased towards Japanese products and is not into the cool new technology associated with the newer autos. When I was shopping for my 2003 LX, I test drove everything except the Range Rover and the Mercedes Benz G-500. The LX was the best money could buy in my personal opinion (at the time) I have a couple of friends who have the Range, and others the G-500, they have had no problems with the vehicles and the realibility still remains to be seen. This was one of the main reasons for buying this lux o suv. The reliability, comfort, and to be different in a sense. I grew up in Seattle, where I constantly started seeing Escalades, H2's and Navigators. Not once saw a modified LX470. Maybe there is somebody we can write/talk to about suggestions and or customer demand for the upgrades to the LX. It is about time that Lexus seperate itself from the Land Cruiser and surpass the so called ranks of the Range and G-500. Lately I have been looking into luxury sedans and find myself in the Benz, and Bmw dealerships. I know that their reliability is dodgy and maybe the interior materials are not up to par with the LS430. For some reason the asthetic appeal and cool toys inside are persuading me to take little test drives here and there. If I had 100 Million it would be invested into Lexus making it the ONLY luxury automobiles that people would consider driving

PS- I see that you are from Colorado...where? I currently reside most of the time in the Springs.

LL
Old 02-22-04, 09:50 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

LuvLuxury,

You should go over to motor city drive and check out the new Lexus dealership. I'm sure you already have. I live south on I25 in Trinidad. People from Denver are moving here like crazy. Great for property values, bad for traffic. Have you taken your LX up to top of Pikes Peak yet?? Good drive, but doesn't really require a gutsy SUV like the LX to get there. As far as luxury sedans go, I hear the new Acura RL is going to be REAL nice. Due next year. Hard to beat the LS. I know no one likes them much, but I like the Q45 as well. I'd think about the Audi A8 and VW Phaeton as well. If you know anyone up that way that would be interested in a '00 LX, let me know. I'll have to go and compare the QX and LX head to head. I know what mine's like ( as far as the LX goes) but the new one has a 5 speed and mine only has the 4 speed tranny. May not be a big difference between them, but would like to compare. I read where Infiniti says they consider the competition for the QX to be the GX470 and not the LX 470. I realize they are priced about the same, but you could almost fit a GX inside a QX!!! Oh well. Hope you like the Springs. It's beautiful, but it's getting quite crowded!! Take care.

Doc C
Old 02-23-04, 04:23 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

It is understandable that the new kid on the block gets all the hype. However, when it comes down to it, the LX470 wins. No doubt. It is the most dependable & most capable SUV on the planet...a rare combination. Yes, there are a select FEW SUVs that are more capable (such as G500) or more glamorous (Range Rover), but NOTHING on the planet can compare to the Land Cruiser or LX because it is everything. Nothing is built tougher. It has one of the strongest body-on-frame in the world. It's body (atop of the frame) is very strong to complement the frame. It is damn reliable. No other SUV on the planet can touch TLC/LX's PROVEN reliability. Powertrain is bullet-proof. Suspension is over-engineered. Built to last. Name me one other SUV that can match the TLC/LX in all of these categories.

To the off-roaders, the LX has the MOST suspension travel of ANY SUVs with independent suspension. In fact, it beats the Grand Cherokee (which has solid axles front and rear). Among the popular SUVs, TLC/LX only loses to Land Rover Discovery.

Words to remember: Solid. Over-engineered. Reliable/Durable. Capable. Anywhere...anytime.

Remember, TLC/LX is made to excel on any continent.and over any terrain. Of course, i am more bias because i do off-road in my 4runner. Let's look at luxury side....

The LX has high-quality materials...only the Range Rover is better IMO. The soft dash is indeed supremely soft. Even the hard dash below is made of thick plastic. The doors insulate well...for there are no rattles with heavy bass from the Mark Levinson speakers. In contrast, take a look at the SC forum where doors rattle due to bass output. (Or check out my BMW M3 prior to me spending $$ to fix the door rattles from bass.) The soft leather with DOUBLE stitching. The high-grade wood. BTW, the Infiniti steering wheel is CHEAPER to make than the Lexus because only the outer part is covered with wood.

Mark Levinson sound system is untouchable. High quality speakers (rival the best from aftermarket). Clean powerful amplifier (beats all aftermarket amps). Lasting quality...no blown speakers that i have heard of. (BTW, my brother has an '01 LX with ML system.)

BOSE?? Please...there's no comparison...no highs, no lows, must be BOSE.

I can assure you that the LX is indeed quieter than QX...will have to wait for tests from magazines.

The QX is faster and carries more...but haven't we seen this type of competition before?? Caddy Escalade. Lincoln Navigator. And what have we learned?? They are all nothing when compared to LX (if price was thrown out of the window). Infiniti is really going after the GX...they know better!

My guess: QX will go away in the similar fashion as Q45...un-inspired shape...big hype initially...no sales.

BTW, QX56 does have rear view camera.

So, current LX owners, don't despair...you have an amazing SUV that people in the know would only dream of!

Thai.

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-14-05 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-23-04, 04:55 PM
2k2Lx470
Driver School Candidate

The OX will suprise some people as did the fx45 and will slowly take sales away from lexus. Infiniti is making their presense felt.

(you might have to registered for imagestation)

qx56 on 22's
Old 02-23-04, 09:34 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i'd go 4 d gx. Qx or whatever is so ugly and i think it's B.S. I don't know, that's what i think.

Quick Reply: QX vs. LX