LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 10:20 PM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LX 570 Trailer Brake Controller

I have a 2017 LX 570 which I am going to be using to tow a travel trailer for the first time. The manual is not very helpful in describing how to connect the brake controller harness/wiring that came with the truck. Can anyone who has used their LX to hitch a camper help? I am trying to understand if my 2017 model came with a built in brake controller or do I need to buy one? Also, where do I connected the red, green, white colored wiring that came with the truck (I found it sitting in the glove box). Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys might have.
Old 05-25-17, 05:14 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a 2017 LX. The vehicle is pre-wired but does not include a brake controller. I purchased a Prodigy P3 (I needed EOH capability as well as regular electric) from etrailer and added the wiring harness that goes from the controller to our factory wiring. I used this thread as a guide: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tra...nector.361992/ If you order the wiring harness you will not need the brake controller harness shipped with the vehicle. Pretty simple install.
Old 05-25-17, 05:30 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

I find it takes more time to get to the connector than to route the wiring.
Old 05-25-17, 11:05 PM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zink
I also have a 2017 LX. The vehicle is pre-wired but does not include a brake controller. I purchased a Prodigy P3 (I needed EOH capability as well as regular electric) from etrailer and added the wiring harness that goes from the controller to our factory wiring. I used this thread as a guide: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tra...nector.361992/ If you order the wiring harness you will not need the brake controller harness shipped with the vehicle. Pretty simple install.
Thanks zink. Just out of curiosity, where did you install the controller relative to the steering wheel? Does it cause any space or obstruction issues while driving? Also, did you velcro it to the vehicle or did you use the screws to make a more permanent mount?
Old 05-26-17, 05:06 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I followed the suggestions on the post I linked in my original reply. Below right knee and not attached to the knee airbag panel. It doesn't interfere with ingress/egress or driving and it's discrete. In fact, I couldn't find a better alternative that still allowed me to glance at the display. At the moment I'm using industrial velcro as my LX is the back-up tow vehicle. I will eventually attach the bracket permanently to a panel.

I'll also echo the other poster's comments, getting to the connector is the most time consuming part of the install but it's still a straightforward job.

I would be interested in getting your feedback on towing with your LX. I find mine is very susceptible to side winds even without a trailer due to a short wheelbase and size of the body acting like a sail. It handles a 500 lb tongue weight just fine though.
Old 06-03-17, 04:45 PM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Ok so after getting the run around by two of the local Lexus dealers here in LA, I decided to do it myself. The one thing I found was that the male adapter (on the Lexus side) is secured in place with a brown tape, and has a white plug which needs to be removed before you can attach your controller harness. At least that was the case on my '17 LX. Anyway, to me the difficult part was contorting my hand to get it connected. Haven't yet decided where the controller will eventually reside though. Some pictures below. I know they are likely not very helpful, but something is better than nothing I guess :-) Controller (lying on the floor for now, but fully functional).
The white piece on top left is the controller (female) end of the harness.
In my 17 LX, the connector was located at the bottom of a panel just under the small coin box to the left of the steering.
Old 06-03-17, 05:32 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I mounted mine right in front of my right shin. Just below the "speaker" port on the panel. It looks like a speaker for a chime or buzzer port in the panel. I can reach down to test it and program it easily there but my 6'8" buddy has his legs in the way so he can't park after launching the boat. I don't have an issue though. There is an access hole for the wiring there. It has to be far enough to the left to fit a small screwdriver between the mounting screw on the side of the controller and the kick panel on the console. I used one of the attachments for my multi driver and a small wrench to tighten the screw.
Old 06-03-17, 07:07 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Did anyone try Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller? I don't tow so often and don't want to do the wiring.
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html
Old 09-12-17, 06:44 AM
Natecrna1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric brake box and 7 pin plug adapter

I have just purchased a 2016 LX 570. My vehicle did not come with a 7 pin female plug at the rear for the trailer or a brake box. I located the female plug for the wiring harness that attaches to the Tekonsha P3 brake box. The instructions in this thread are right on for that. What I need help with is finding an adapter for the rear to get the femal 7 pin for the trailer to plug into. All I have found is a link for this
https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2013_Lexus_LX+570.htm
I bought this part even though it says it's for up to a 2013 model. The plugs matched and I thought it was going to work. However every time I plugged my trailer into it the 30A fuse for the electric brake under the hood blew!
I have searched on the ih8mud forums for a solution and on club Lexus. I can't find any help. The LX is going to the dealership today for service. I'm going to ask them to see if they can troubleshoot this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-17, 02:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Natecrna1
I have just purchased a 2016 LX 570. My vehicle did not come with a 7 pin female plug at the rear for the trailer or a brake box. I located the female plug for the wiring harness that attaches to the Tekonsha P3 brake box. The instructions in this thread are right on for that. What I need help with is finding an adapter for the rear to get the femal 7 pin for the trailer to plug into. All I have found is a link for this
https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2013_Lexus_LX+570.htm
I bought this part even though it says it's for up to a 2013 model. The plugs matched and I thought it was going to work. However every time I plugged my trailer into it the 30A fuse for the electric brake under the hood blew!
I have searched on the ih8mud forums for a solution and on club Lexus. I can't find any help. The LX is going to the dealership today for service. I'm going to ask them to see if they can troubleshoot this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wiring diagram for 7-pin non-semi-truck connectors is here... https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...7e9346b0c5.jpg

I'd find a helper ad check all 7 pins on both ends of the the part you bought, as well as the trailer plug. Sounds like the electric brake circuit is shorting to ground.

hth

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Natecrna1 (09-12-17)
Old 09-13-17, 10:02 AM
Natecrna1
Driver School Candidate

I did exactly that. I used a test light and rewired the adapter in the link I posted earlier. I was unable to find an adapter that was made for a 2016 LX.
Old 11-22-19, 11:38 AM
JFS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AKh
Ok so after getting the run around by two of the local Lexus dealers here in LA, I decided to do it myself. The one thing I found was that the male adapter (on the Lexus side) is secured in place with a brown tape, and has a white plug which needs to be removed before you can attach your controller harness. At least that was the case on my '17 LX. Anyway, to me the difficult part was contorting my hand to get it connected. Haven't yet decided where the controller will eventually reside though. Some pictures below. I know they are likely not very helpful, but something is better than nothing I guess :-)

Your photos were very helpful. After removing interior panel above the brake pedal as you did I finally see a plug with brown tape on it. But I can barely touch the plug/brown tape with my fingers. How did you get too the plug. Did you cut the brown tape with a knife? It looks like there is a loop of wire that would allow the plug to move closer if the tape was removed.

I believe this is the plug with brown tape.

Controller (lying on the floor for now, but fully functional).
The white piece on top left is the controller (female) end of the harness.
In my 17 LX, the connector was located at the bottom of a panel just under the small coin box to the left of the steering.
Your photos were very helpful. After removing interior panel above the brake pedal as you did I finally see a plug with brown tape on it. But I can barely touch the plug/brown tape with my fingers. How did you get too the plug. Did you cut the brown tape with a knife? It looks like there is a loop of wire that would allow the plug to move closer if the tape was removed.
Old 11-22-19, 01:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JFS
Safer on your wiring and fingers (amhik ')) to use a seam ripper...check your local sewing store. You'll like the Kenosha controller.
Old 11-24-19, 07:08 AM
JFS
Driver School Candidate

Thank you hankinid. My wife has a sewing seem ripper so I will try that. I can barely get my hand into the area so using any tool will be difficult. Was hoping AKh might have additional clues. But I realize his post is over 2 years old. His photos/post helped me find the male LX plug I just can’t get to it. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-21, 10:57 AM
Hamdaaan87
Driver School Candidate

Default I have lx 570 model 2010

Can anyone help me to answer the question
1- can I Installation the brake controller for my Vehicle ?
2- where the location for the blug control brake in my vehicle?
3-there is Specifically brake controller for lx 570?

Quick Reply: LX 570 Trailer Brake Controller