North American LX 570 Fuel Tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 02:43 PM
Lightzxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North American LX 570 Fuel Tank capacity

Hello Guys, New to the forum

I checked with my friend who owns the same year LX 570 in China, the fuel tank capacity is 36.4Gallon(138L) but my Canadian LX 570 manual says I have 93L(25Gallon). Obviously, the difference between two version's gas tank capacity is not small, So I wonder is there any method to increase the fuel tanks' capacity in order to increase range.
Old 03-25-17, 04:40 PM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Other parts of the world have a dual tank version. The standard 93 liter tank is supplemented by an additional 45 liter sub-tank mounted above the spare wheel. I'm interested in adding this sub-tank or an aftermarket alternative but don't have enough details to move forward.
Old 03-25-17, 07:00 PM
Lightzxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zink
Other parts of the world have a dual tank version. The standard 93 liter tank is supplemented by an additional 45 liter sub-tank mounted above the spare wheel. I'm interested in adding this sub-tank or an aftermarket alternative but don't have enough details to move forward.
Yeah bro, if the additional 45L sub-tank can be mounted it would be really good with that extra fuel to supply further range without refill. I'm not sure the NA model have spaces designed for the secondary tank tho.
Old 03-25-17, 11:42 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightzxn
Yeah bro, if the additional 45L sub-tank can be mounted it would be really good with that extra fuel to supply further range without refill. I'm not sure the NA model have spaces designed for the secondary tank tho.
I worry that some parts have to be moved to do that. The other problem (much bigger) would be programming the ECU for the larger tank. But I hope that someone will do that and post detailed instructions :-)
Old 03-26-17, 07:32 AM
zink
Rookie

It looks like The Long Ranger makes a 70 L sub-tank designed for 200 series vehicles that can be installed without the rest of the world standard sub-tank already in place. They are distributed via ARB and I plan to contact them to determine availability. http://thelongranger.com.au/toyota/l...-series/ta65sp The downside to this solution is that it is a secondary transfer tank. When the standard tank is low, hit the lift pump and the sub-tank contents will be transferred to the main tank.

The factory fuel tank with standard sub-tank items could likely be purchased. However the original factory tank would require a return line installed. This can be done but it is dangerous and requires the original tank to be removed, gas and fumes removed. I understand the parts are expensive.

From my research, either sub-tank can be added without relocating any factory items. There is enough room above the spare wheel to fit either tank. I will continue to investigate as the limited range of the standard vehicle is it's major downfall.
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (03-26-17)
Old 03-26-17, 01:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

It looks like The Long Ranger makes a 70 L sub-tank designed for 200 series vehicles that can be installed without the rest of the world standard sub-tank already in place. They are distributed via ARB and I plan to contact them to determine availability. http://thelongranger.com.au/toyota/l...-series/ta65sp The downside to this solution is that it is a secondary transfer tank. When the standard tank is low, hit the lift pump and the sub-tank contents will be transferred to the main tank.

The factory fuel tank with standard sub-tank items could likely be purchased. However the original factory tank would require a return line installed. This can be done but it is dangerous and requires the original tank to be removed, gas and fumes removed. I understand the parts are expensive.

From my research, either sub-tank can be added without relocating any factory items. There is enough room above the spare wheel to fit either tank. I will continue to investigate as the limited range of the standard vehicle is it's major downfall.
A lot more info on the 200 series forum on mud... https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/47-...#post-10875505

If you're planning, the thread needs reading for certain. Maybe over 2-3 days. It's definitely not cheap, v. carrying a couple of jerry cans on either a bumper mount or roof rack. So far, our trips away from gas haven't been more than 200 miles or so. Something to think about if you're planning 2 weeks in the boonies.
The following 2 users liked this post by hankinid:
ClaytonW (03-27-17), zink (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 10:59 AM
zink
Rookie

That was an interesting read. It looks like charcoal canister relocate or delete. Sounds like quite a few hours of work. I recently did a charcoal relocate on my Lotus Elise as part of a complete mechanical re-build, if I can find space in that car the LX should be far more straightforward, with better access. I have contacted The Long Ranger about fitting their 70 L auxiliary tank into an LX and await their feedback. Your point about price is valid, I don't mind putting in the labor but $1,500 USD on a fuel tank is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. Considering this model and variants have been around for basically 10 years, I'm surprised there are not more readily available solutions?
Old 03-27-17, 12:52 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

That was an interesting read. It looks like charcoal canister relocate or delete. Sounds like quite a few hours of work. I recently did a charcoal relocate on my Lotus Elise as part of a complete mechanical re-build, if I can find space in that car the LX should be far more straightforward, with better access. I have contacted The Long Ranger about fitting their 70 L auxiliary tank into an LX and await their feedback. Your point about price is valid, I don't mind putting in the labor but $1,500 USD on a fuel tank is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. Considering this model and variants have been around for basically 10 years, I'm surprised there are not more readily available solutions?
I cannot see $1500 for a gas tank v. other methods of carrying extra fuel.

The 200 series may have been around since 2008, but that said, total quantities are no where near those of, say, a 4Runner. E.g., in 2015, Toyota exported ~7000 total (3000 Land Cruisers and 4000 LX's into all of north America. They exported 79,000 4Runners.

If I had fabrication facilities, I'd envision a tank to fit the spare tire cavity or above it. I'd use tank ends...what you see at each end of a large propane tank...about 30" in diameter, and add some steel strip between the 2 ends to fit the space. I doubt it would run $1500.

Will a charcoal canister "delete" in TX screw up your next smog check? When I lived there, the only smog test was to clip a piece of chemically treated paper to the end of the exhaust to make sure you weren't using leaded gas.

Steve...ex-TX
ggebhardt (04-02-17)
Old 03-27-17, 02:11 PM
zink
Rookie

While I haven't opened everything up to look yet, there are typically two purge valves in the charcoal canister system. If the canister were removed, you would plug the valves back in so that the ECU did not recognize a problem and cause a MIL. Without coming up with a solution like this, there would definitely be an issue passing smog inspection.
Old 03-27-17, 02:29 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

While I haven't opened everything up to look yet, there are typically two purge valves in the charcoal canister system. If the canister were removed, you would plug the valves back in so that the ECU did not recognize a problem and cause a MIL. Without coming up with a solution like this, there would definitely be an issue passing smog inspection.
Your state still checking for smog?
Old 04-01-17, 07:06 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed that the low fuel light does not come on until the computer says I am down to 8 miles of range. The needle is just barely above the last tick mark. Is this normal?
Old 04-02-17, 04:07 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I have noticed that the low fuel light does not come on until the computer says I am down to 8 miles of range. The needle is just barely above the last tick mark. Is this normal?
for me and the LX units I have owned, when the red light comes on you still got 4 gallons of fuel left. I can get about 20 gallons in the tank when it says empty.
Old 08-05-17, 06:31 AM
zink
Rookie

I did hear back from the Long Ranger shop in Australia. They did not have any experience installing a secondary tank in a LX and did not seem motivated to provide any further assistance. Long Ranger was concerned there may be some AHC related hardware above the factory tank that could interfere.

After research the best alternative seems to be the 15 gallon aux tank from Tembo. The thread on the install at IH8mud seems successful and cost of parts shipped to USA should be less than $1,500. Based on the price, the amount of labor involved and my concern about cleaning the factory tank sufficiently to avoid any problem while drilling the connection hole, I'm skipping this idea. If anyone does install a tank, I would be grateful to read about your installation experience. A LX with a 40 gallon tank would be just about the perfect vehicle!
Old 08-05-17, 09:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
It can vary and has been reported as anywhere from 2 to 5-6 gallons remaining. Guess I'm part Luddite as I check the fuel gauge...I refill around half a tank as the in-tank pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and tends to live longer with more gas around it.

I did hear back from the Long Ranger shop in Australia. They did not have any experience installing a secondary tank in a LX and did not seem motivated to provide any further assistance. Long Ranger was concerned there may be some AHC related hardware above the factory tank that could interfere.

After research the best alternative seems to be the 15 gallon aux tank from Tembo. The thread on the install at IH8mud seems successful and cost of parts shipped to USA should be less than $1,500. Based on the price, the amount of labor involved and my concern about cleaning the factory tank sufficiently to avoid any problem while drilling the connection hole, I'm skipping this idea. If anyone does install a tank, I would be grateful to read about your installation experience. A LX with a 40 gallon tank would be just about the perfect vehicle!
Though LR gas and water tanks have been installed in North American LXs, the lack of info you received is typical. You might call Christo at Slee Offroad and see if he's seen and / or done an installation.

I'm still looking at the option of a rear bumper and a couple of NATO jerry cans...thinking I can get most of a decent rear bumper for $1500, diy the installation and that should be it.
zink (08-06-17)