LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What Engine Oil and Oil Filter?

Old 03-25-17, 10:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC is the one to use.

Originally Posted by DocT
The video above might not be realistic for certain areas of US, such as CA, and Florida. However, the most damage of the parts is starting up the engine after overnight or not driving the car for while." Scar test" on the moving parts are more critical if the car has not been driven for a while. There are so many choices when I walk down to oil sections of Walmart or Pepboys. "Damn, overwhelming, what to pick?"

Some of them are so biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3y-1lxMTxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA
Old 03-25-17, 04:49 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the people, who posted, favor Mobil 1. I just went to Walmart for Engine oil and looked at Mobil 1 synthetic and saw $45 for a jug of 5 qtr Mobile 1. But there are also cheaper one too, from $25-45 a jug of Mobile 1. I scratched the head. Wow, it is more than Royal Purple which is $38. Just wonder $45 jug of Mobile 1 is any better than $25 jug of Mobile1.
Old 03-26-17, 05:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

As I recall, Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC within a particular weight class has, regular??, silver?? , and gold.

I've always get the gold extended 15000mile one which is more expensive and I was told has more "Molly".

Price must have gone up???

Most of the people, who posted, favor Mobil 1. I just went to Walmart for Engine oil and looked at Mobil 1 synthetic and saw $45 for a jug of 5 qtr Mobile 1. But there are also cheaper one too, from $25-45 a jug of Mobile 1. I scratched the head. Wow, it is more than Royal Purple which is $38. Just wonder $45 jug of Mobile 1 is any better than $25 jug of Mobile1.
Old 03-26-17, 03:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The first one is the cheaper one (regular).

The second one is the Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC EXTENDED 15000 MILE. I would still change my oil 7.5k to 10k.

I've used both types. I prefer the EXTENED one due to more "Molly" for more protection, especially in EXTREME HOT TEMPERATURES. Since we take our LX570 to the desert in the summer, I insist on the EXTENED MOBILE ONE SYNTHETIC.

When I click on the second one it says out of stock. So right now just the regular available. The EXTENDED one is CURRENTLY ON SALE. Probably that's why it is sold out. I remember regular price for extended was around $29 per 5quart jug last year. I had bought like 10jugs of it to change my Lexus vehicles through out the year at different times.

On Amazon the EXTENDED is currently selling at $40. I've also ordered from Amazon before and Amazon prices are usually the same as Walmart. I guess Amazon knows currently Walmart is out if stock on the EXTENED MOBILE ONE SYNTHETIC!!! LOL.

Old 03-26-17, 06:20 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It came out the new one 20,000 mile annual protection ( whichever comes first), but do I really want to wait that long to change the oil? Might be bad for the engine. I usually change every 6,000 on every of my car.
Old 03-26-17, 08:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I would NOT wait 20k miles to change my oil. It maybe something resembling the Taffy candies!!!! Thick and black tar looking......

Even at $45 per 5 quarts, I will still change my oil at around 7.5k miles. At the most, I figure $100 (probably less) cost including OEM oil filter. Cheap insurance against any potential failures.

That was what I did with my previous LX470 and ran it to 280+k miles before trade in and still ran like new.

It came out the new one 20,000 mile annual protection ( whichever comes first), but do I really want to wait that long to change the oil? Might be bad for the engine. I usually change every 6,000 on every of my car.
Old 03-27-17, 06:57 AM
YouBetcha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2011. I am unsure if the old owner used Synthetic oil. Will it matter if I start using synthetic if they did not? 66k miles on it.
Old 03-27-17, 08:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would NOT wait 20k miles to change my oil. It maybe something resembling the Taffy candies!!!! Thick and black tar looking......

Even at $45 per 5 quarts, I will still change my oil at around 7.5k miles. At the most, I figure $100 (probably less) cost including OEM oil filter. Cheap insurance against any potential failures.

That was what I did with my previous LX470 and ran it to 280+k miles before trade in and still ran like new.
Originally Posted by lexusrus
As I recall, Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC within a particular weight class has, regular??, silver?? , and gold.

I've always get the gold extended 15000mile one which is more expensive and I was told has more "Molly".

Price must have gone up???
Prices tend to go up as time passes. Differences between types of Mobil 1 are here where you can select make and model year...I asked for oil for a '13 Cruiser. Here's what I got...

I change the LX and Land Cruiser once a year, but I'm looking at only 8-10K in a year. Recommendations from the M1 website are here... https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...9yY2UpIChHQVMp

Originally Posted by YouBetcha
I recently purchased a 2011. I am unsure if the old owner used Synthetic oil. Will it matter if I start using synthetic if they did not? 66k miles on it.
You will not have a problem. If there were issues in changing from conventional to synthetic, no one should be changing.
The following users liked this post:
YouBetcha (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 03:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
Prices tend to go up as time passes. Differences between types of Mobil 1 are here where you can select make and model year...I asked for oil for a '13 Cruiser. Here's what I got...

I change the LX and Land Cruiser once a year, but I'm looking at only 8-10K in a year. Recommendations from the M1 website are here... https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...9yY2UpIChHQVMp

You will not have a problem. If there were issues in changing from conventional to synthetic, no one should be changing.
The problems with the potential oil leaks when switching from conventional oil to synthetic WAS potentially an issue in the engines some 30 years ago. With modern engines it should be OK. I did it with my old 1995 Volvo 960 after 160k miles and no problems.
​​​​​
ggebhardt (03-29-17)
Old 03-27-17, 10:49 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless something has changed, once you move over to synthetic, stay with synthetic. It has always been a no-no to move back to conventional after going to synthetic.
Old 03-28-17, 07:31 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Unless something has changed, once you move over to synthetic, stay with synthetic. It has always been a no-no to move back to conventional after going to synthetic.
Why would that be?

Steve
Old 03-28-17, 11:40 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I wonder how can this be? What about the "SYNTHETIC BLEND"? ISN'T this a mixture of both?

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
ggebhardt (04-25-17)
Old 03-29-17, 06:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You may certainly go from synthetic to conventional if you wish. This is backed by major oil company.
Old 04-24-17, 02:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the dealer do all oil/filter changes cheap insurance
Old 04-28-17, 08:28 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max707
I have the dealer do all oil/filter changes cheap insurance
"Cheap insurance" for what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Engine Oil and Oil Filter?