LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

keeping vehicle in high mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 08:36 AM
dlevi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping vehicle in high mode

hey guys I have a 2011 Lexus LX 570 and I was wondering if I were to consistently keep the car in high mode by being able to turning off the active height control if it is bad for the car. instead of adding a lift to my car I rather just keep it in the lifted mode what do you guys think.
thanks
Old 02-26-17, 09:27 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should check out this thread in ih8mud:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx570-ahc-height-modifications-lift-it.971211/
Basically, he was able to lift it around 1.25 inches in all modes by simple a modification.
Old 02-26-17, 12:45 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dlevi
hey guys I have a 2011 Lexus LX 570 and I was wondering if I were to consistently keep the car in high mode by being able to turning off the active height control if it is bad for the car. instead of adding a lift to my car I rather just keep it in the lifted mode what do you guys think.
thanks
More wear on u-joints, especially on the front drive shaft.
Old 02-26-17, 03:42 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same question, but low mode consistently to drive on the freeway for aerodynamic. I know the car will automatically return to normal height after a while of driving. Can I override it?
Old 02-26-17, 06:19 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dlevi
thanks
Just wondering, is your goal cosmetic, or is it for function?
Old 02-26-17, 06:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I thought at highway speeds, the LX570 automatically lowers for aerodynamics.

Not true????

Originally Posted by DocT
I have the same question, but low mode consistently to drive on the freeway for aerodynamic. I know the car will automatically return to normal height after a while of driving. Can I override it?
Old 02-26-17, 06:50 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

FYI.
Chassis/Body/Suspension/Tires/Brakes
The LX 570’s highly capable chassis is equipped with an advanced suspension system. Body-on-frame construction provides ruggedness and durability in extreme driving conditions, plus impressive ride isolation characteristics and a 7,000-pound towing capability. An electro-hydraulic system with four-wheel Active Height Control (AHC) and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) reacts more quickly and allows for a greater range of adjustment than the system used in the previous generation LX.Applying advanced computer aided engineering and lightweight components, engineers developed a frame structure that uses lightweight, high-strength steel.

The frame was tested over some of the worst roads in Australia, plus desert areas of the U.S. and other parts of the world in conditions where other SUVs could not go. The body utilizes welded high-strength sheet steel, especially in the A-, B-, C- and D-pillars and in the rocker area to reduce weight and increase rigidity.The high-mount, independent double-wishbone front suspension allows for nine inches of total front wheel travel – four on the jounce stroke and five on rebound – for outstanding articulation over rough roads and obstacles. The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering uses a variable gear ratio that requires just 2.4 turns to go from lock-to-lock.The four-link trailing-arm rear suspension retains the solid-axle configuration for strength and durability.

Suspension geometry helps promote control, and spring and damper rates are optimized for ride smoothness. The new-generation Lexus LX 570 introduced a vehicle "posture control" system with Lexus advanced technology, including Four-Wheel AHC + AVS (Active Height Control + Adaptive Variable Suspension).The LX 570 suspension system helps enhance on-road handling by reducing body sway by more than 30 percent compared to the previous generation and by suppressing dive and squat during cornering, braking or acceleration. The compression chambers of the shock absorbers are diagonally linked (front left shock linked to rear right, and front right linked to rear left) by a center-control valve. Passing small body motions from front-to-rear increases overall vertical suspension damping. A spring-rate switch control in the front shock absorbers stiffens or loosens the air spring rate in two steps. When cruising on the highway, for example, the spring rate is loosened for better ride comfort.

The Active Height Control system lowers the chassis by about two inches for easy entry and exit and returns automatically to its normal height when the vehicle begins to accelerate. Vehicle height automatically lowers within two seconds of switching off the ignition when the vehicle is stopped. An Easy Access mode allows the driver to also lower the vehicle while it is parked. For improved aerodynamics, the AHC system lowers the vehicle by nearly one inch in front and by a little more than a half inch in the rear at highway speeds.

When the transfer case is shifted into low range, AHC raises the vehicle by approximately three inches to provide additional ride height in driving situations where chassis clearance is at a premium.The Adaptive Variable Suspension system responds to the different inputs and spring rates, and it adjusts the shock absorber damping force to provide optimal handling and comfort for on-road or trail driving. AVS provides three modes to control the spring rate and shock absorber damping force.

Comfort mode provides a softer response on extremely bumpy roads, while the Normal and Sport modes help provide increasingly greater levels of control for driving a heavily loaded vehicle, driving at higher speeds on paved roads, or driving on unpaved roads.The standard ten-spoke, 20-inch alloy wheels wear 285/50R20 tires. A direct tire pressure monitor system notifies the driver of a critical drop in air-pressure in any of the tires, including the full-size spare tire.

The LX 570's brake system utilizes 13.4-inch ventilated discs and four-piston calipers up front and 13.6-inch ventilated discs at the rear. The multi-terrain ABS system determines road-surface conditions and automatically optimizes lock-up control, selecting the suitable ABS profile for on- and off-road driving surfaces. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) employs the ABS to properly balance braking forces between the front and rear wheels, while Brake Assist (BA) provides auxiliary force to assist the driver during emergency braking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reggie1:
DocT (02-28-17), TeCKis300 (02-28-17)
Old 02-27-17, 01:05 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks. So it is true......
​​
For improved aerodynamics, the AHC system lowers the vehicle by nearly one inch in front and by a little more than a half inch in the rear at highway speeds.

So is the above true only for 2016+ LX570? Or is the 2013 LX570 INCLUDED?
​​​

Originally Posted by Reggie1
FYI.
The LX 570’s highly capable chassis is equipped with an advanced suspension system. Body-on-frame construction provides ruggedness and durability in extreme driving conditions, plus impressive ride isolation characteristics and a 7,000-pound towing capability. An electro-hydraulic system with four-wheel Active Height Control (AHC) and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) reacts more quickly and allows for a greater range of adjustment than the system used in the previous generation LX.Applying advanced computer aided engineering and lightweight components, engineers developed a frame structure that uses lightweight, high-strength steel.

The frame was tested over some of the worst roads in Australia, plus desert areas of the U.S. and other parts of the world in conditions where other SUVs could not go. The body utilizes welded high-strength sheet steel, especially in the A-, B-, C- and D-pillars and in the rocker area to reduce weight and increase rigidity.The high-mount, independent double-wishbone front suspension allows for nine inches of total front wheel travel – four on the jounce stroke and five on rebound – for outstanding articulation over rough roads and obstacles. The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering uses a variable gear ratio that requires just 2.4 turns to go from lock-to-lock.The four-link trailing-arm rear suspension retains the solid-axle configuration for strength and durability.

Suspension geometry helps promote control, and spring and damper rates are optimized for ride smoothness. The new-generation Lexus LX 570 introduced a vehicle "posture control" system with Lexus advanced technology, including Four-Wheel AHC + AVS (Active Height Control + Adaptive Variable Suspension).The LX 570 suspension system helps enhance on-road handling by reducing body sway by more than 30 percent compared to the previous generation and by suppressing dive and squat during cornering, braking or acceleration. The compression chambers of the shock absorbers are diagonally linked (front left shock linked to rear right, and front right linked to rear left) by a center-control valve. Passing small body motions from front-to-rear increases overall vertical suspension damping. A spring-rate switch control in the front shock absorbers stiffens or loosens the air spring rate in two steps. When cruising on the highway, for example, the spring rate is loosened for better ride comfort.

The Active Height Control system lowers the chassis by about two inches for easy entry and exit and returns automatically to its normal height when the vehicle begins to accelerate. Vehicle height automatically lowers within two seconds of switching off the ignition when the vehicle is stopped. An Easy Access mode allows the driver to also lower the vehicle while it is parked. For improved aerodynamics, the AHC system lowers the vehicle by nearly one inch in front and by a little more than a half inch in the rear at highway speeds.

When the transfer case is shifted into low range, AHC raises the vehicle by approximately three inches to provide additional ride height in driving situations where chassis clearance is at a premium.The Adaptive Variable Suspension system responds to the different inputs and spring rates, and it adjusts the shock absorber damping force to provide optimal handling and comfort for on-road or trail driving. AVS provides three modes to control the spring rate and shock absorber damping force.

Comfort mode provides a softer response on extremely bumpy roads, while the Normal and Sport modes help provide increasingly greater levels of control for driving a heavily loaded vehicle, driving at higher speeds on paved roads, or driving on unpaved roads.The standard ten-spoke, 20-inch alloy wheels wear 285/50R20 tires. A direct tire pressure monitor system notifies the driver of a critical drop in air-pressure in any of the tires, including the full-size spare tire.

The LX 570's brake system utilizes 13.4-inch ventilated discs and four-piston calipers up front and 13.6-inch ventilated discs at the rear. The multi-terrain ABS system determines road-surface conditions and automatically optimizes lock-up control, selecting the suitable ABS profile for on- and off-road driving surfaces. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) employs the ABS to properly balance braking forces between the front and rear wheels, while Brake Assist (BA) provides auxiliary force to assist the driver during emergency braking.
Old 02-27-17, 12:06 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Thanks. So it is true......
​​
For improved aerodynamics, the AHC system lowers the vehicle by nearly one inch in front and by a little more than a half inch in the rear at highway speeds.

So is the above true only for 2016+ LX570? Or is the 2013 LX570 INCLUDED?
​​​
The 2013 would be included. I am sure that even my 2008 did the same.
Old 02-27-17, 01:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks. That was what I vaguely remembered the dealer told me when I first picked up the LX570. YOU KNOW, sometimes the dealer will tell you anything to convince you to buy it.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
The 2013 would be included. I am sure that even my 2008 did the same.
Old 02-28-17, 02:02 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Thanks. That was what I vaguely remembered the dealer told me when I first picked up the LX570. YOU KNOW, sometimes the dealer will tell you anything to convince you to buy it.
I do not think you really want or need to do highway speeds on the high setting. The LX is already a roll over hazard and driving at high speed with the vehicle at the highest height is asking for it.
Old 02-28-17, 03:32 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
FYI.

Thank you for the long post.
Old 02-28-17, 07:25 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's interesting that the LX is setup for more droop than compression travel - "four on the jounce stroke and five on rebound". Rare beast especially considering that most cars don't have much droop travel at all.

Setting AHC to high is roughly a 2" lift. But that would negate all the nice dynamic traits such as lowering at fwy speeds, etc. Besides, it currently not possible.

That said, it's been proven that you can do a 1.25" sensor lift while retain all the active functions. It would lift all L/M/H height modes equally 1.25" higher.

It's not been proven yet, but there's potential that the 1.25" sensor lift can be combined with an AHC sensor calibration lift to get higher still.

Last edited by TeCKis300; 03-01-17 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 09:01 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The one thing to keep in mind with the sensor lift is how much more pressure is that going to put on the AHC system vs. normal height. Also assuming you would need to put more ahc fluid in the system if your new normal is 1.25" higher than the old normal. When I did a slight sensor lift on the front of our lx470 to even out some of the rake it did raise the ahc pressure out of what the normal range would be. On the 470 it was easy to remedy this by a few twists of the torsion bars to help support the weight up front. The 570 does not have torsion bars and is traditional coil so if the pressure is out of spec you would need some kind of spacer (front and rear) to get the lift without putting extra pressure on the system which could causes a harsher ride or system issues.
Old 03-03-17, 12:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Oh no. I would never want to do high settings at highway speeds.

I just was confirming that the LX570 auto drop down when reaching highway speeds which is what I want it to do.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I do not think you really want or need to do highway speeds on the high setting. The LX is already a roll over hazard and driving at high speed with the vehicle at the highest height is asking for it.

Quick Reply: keeping vehicle in high mode