LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

keeping vehicle in high mode

Old 03-03-17, 12:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks and good to know all this happens automatically.

Last summer we took our LX570 to mountains of CO and had a blast. Most of other cars and SUVs had to turn around when the road turned to small rocks and dirt........We pressed on to reach the highest peak. The view was breath taking and just amazing. It was summer and still had snow on the peaks. Went white water river rafting too.

Originally Posted by Reggie1
FYI.
Chassis/Body/Suspension/Tires/Brakes
The LX 570’s highly capable chassis is equipped with an advanced suspension system. Body-on-frame construction provides ruggedness and durability in extreme driving conditions, plus impressive ride isolation characteristics and a 7,000-pound towing capability. An electro-hydraulic system with four-wheel Active Height Control (AHC) and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) reacts more quickly and allows for a greater range of adjustment than the system used in the previous generation LX.Applying advanced computer aided engineering and lightweight components, engineers developed a frame structure that uses lightweight, high-strength steel.

The frame was tested over some of the worst roads in Australia, plus desert areas of the U.S. and other parts of the world in conditions where other SUVs could not go. The body utilizes welded high-strength sheet steel, especially in the A-, B-, C- and D-pillars and in the rocker area to reduce weight and increase rigidity.The high-mount, independent double-wishbone front suspension allows for nine inches of total front wheel travel – four on the jounce stroke and five on rebound – for outstanding articulation over rough roads and obstacles. The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering uses a variable gear ratio that requires just 2.4 turns to go from lock-to-lock.The four-link trailing-arm rear suspension retains the solid-axle configuration for strength and durability.

Suspension geometry helps promote control, and spring and damper rates are optimized for ride smoothness. The new-generation Lexus LX 570 introduced a vehicle "posture control" system with Lexus advanced technology, including Four-Wheel AHC + AVS (Active Height Control + Adaptive Variable Suspension).The LX 570 suspension system helps enhance on-road handling by reducing body sway by more than 30 percent compared to the previous generation and by suppressing dive and squat during cornering, braking or acceleration. The compression chambers of the shock absorbers are diagonally linked (front left shock linked to rear right, and front right linked to rear left) by a center-control valve. Passing small body motions from front-to-rear increases overall vertical suspension damping. A spring-rate switch control in the front shock absorbers stiffens or loosens the air spring rate in two steps. When cruising on the highway, for example, the spring rate is loosened for better ride comfort.

The Active Height Control system lowers the chassis by about two inches for easy entry and exit and returns automatically to its normal height when the vehicle begins to accelerate. Vehicle height automatically lowers within two seconds of switching off the ignition when the vehicle is stopped. An Easy Access mode allows the driver to also lower the vehicle while it is parked. For improved aerodynamics, the AHC system lowers the vehicle by nearly one inch in front and by a little more than a half inch in the rear at highway speeds.

When the transfer case is shifted into low range, AHC raises the vehicle by approximately three inches to provide additional ride height in driving situations where chassis clearance is at a premium.The Adaptive Variable Suspension system responds to the different inputs and spring rates, and it adjusts the shock absorber damping force to provide optimal handling and comfort for on-road or trail driving. AVS provides three modes to control the spring rate and shock absorber damping force.

Comfort mode provides a softer response on extremely bumpy roads, while the Normal and Sport modes help provide increasingly greater levels of control for driving a heavily loaded vehicle, driving at higher speeds on paved roads, or driving on unpaved roads.The standard ten-spoke, 20-inch alloy wheels wear 285/50R20 tires. A direct tire pressure monitor system notifies the driver of a critical drop in air-pressure in any of the tires, including the full-size spare tire.

The LX 570's brake system utilizes 13.4-inch ventilated discs and four-piston calipers up front and 13.6-inch ventilated discs at the rear. The multi-terrain ABS system determines road-surface conditions and automatically optimizes lock-up control, selecting the suitable ABS profile for on- and off-road driving surfaces. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) employs the ABS to properly balance braking forces between the front and rear wheels, while Brake Assist (BA) provides auxiliary force to assist the driver during emergency braking.
Old 03-03-17, 03:25 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Suspension lift is certainly a way to get more ride-height. The OP didn't state his reason for more ride height and I assume it's like most that want the look.

I personally choose to lift via larger tires - 1" in my case, going from stock ~31.2" to 33" tires. I don't like the approach of putting the suspension in a range that compromises handling and stability, which most suspension lifts tend to do. If I want more lift, I can do a mild ~1" sensor lift. Beyond that, my opinion would be to use a ~.5" body lift. Small adjustments to the package that in the end, gets a better balanced packing IMO. Just another approach to consider.
Old 03-03-17, 06:47 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Suspension lift is certainly a way to get more ride-height. The OP didn't state his reason for more ride height and I assume it's like most that want the look.

I personally choose to lift via larger tires - 1" in my case, going from stock ~31.2" to 33" tires. I don't like the approach of putting the suspension in a range that compromises handling and stability, which most suspension lifts tend to do. If I want more lift, I can do a mild ~1" sensor lift. Beyond that, my opinion would be to use a ~.5" body lift. Small adjustments to the package that in the end, gets a better balanced packing IMO. Just another approach to consider.
Would that affect the speedometer reading?
Old 03-03-17, 07:31 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Speedometer actually will read more accurate since it's calibrated to read faster than actual speed.
Odometer will record 4-5% less miles than actual, depending on tire size. Details here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/odo...oughts.967228/

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-03-17 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TeCKis300 (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 01:00 AM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about doing the opposite? Any easy way to get it to stay in low mode?
Old 03-15-17, 06:22 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Speedometer actually will read more accurate since it's calibrated to read faster than actual speed.
Odometer will record 4-5% less miles than actual, depending on tire size. Details here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/odo...oughts.967228/
Check it with a gps device or a gps app on your phone.

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
What about doing the opposite? Any easy way to get it to stay in low mode?
Drive at very slow speed and it will stay in low. Of course, you can forget about driving over bumps as the suspension will be sitting on its bump stops.
Old 03-15-17, 08:42 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOW mode. This works on 2016. Ordinarily low mode reverts back to normal mode at a speed around 6 mph. If you want to go a higher speed in low mode, simply put the LX in low mode and switch off the AHC control - button above the L-N-H toggle. This, at least on my 2016, will keep the vehicle in low mode until around 20 mph. Now you can proceed to cruise the grocery store parking lot in style.
Old 03-16-17, 08:09 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brywhite
LOW mode. This works on 2016. Ordinarily low mode reverts back to normal mode at a speed around 6 mph. If you want to go a higher speed in low mode, simply put the LX in low mode and switch off the AHC control - button above the L-N-H toggle. This, at least on my 2016, will keep the vehicle in low mode until around 20 mph. Now you can proceed to cruise the grocery store parking lot in style.

Low mode "in style" is a Cali thing I guess. Here in NC the preferred mode would be High for sure. I turned off the easy access because it just didn't look right in the parking lot sitting almost on the ground.
Old 03-16-17, 08:55 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tlhicks
Low mode "in style" is a Cali thing I guess. Here in NC the preferred mode would be High for sure. I turned off the easy access because it just didn't look right in the parking lot sitting almost on the ground.
I meant it tongue-in-cheek but I guess that doesn't translate well in a forum post.
Old 03-16-17, 09:49 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brywhite
I meant it tongue-in-cheek but I guess that doesn't translate well in a forum post.
True for your part. But it seems the lower rider culture is for sure a west coast creation that has spread nation wide. No matter how big and capable the vehicle is. To each his own. It looks great on some vehicles, others make me just ask. WHY? But hey on the other end of the spectrum are the NC good ole boys with straight pipes, no mufflers and the front end lifted only . WTF REALLY!!!!