Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Tires and Filters at dealer

Took my car to local Lexus dealer for the following:

Replace Air Filter $60 pars and labor
Replace Cabin Filter $80 Parts and Labor
Replace all 4 tires with new Michelins for 20 inch wheels $1050 including labor
Alignment $135 Labor
The balance is taxes, shop fees and disposal,

Paid $1455 including taxes in Las Vegas Nevada, I thought price was steep for this service, are others paying the same at dealers.
Old 01-17-17, 10:09 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Took my car to local Lexus dealer for the following:

Replace Air Filter $60 pars and labor
Replace Cabin Filter $80 Parts and Labor
Replace all 4 tires with new Michelins for 20 inch wheels $1050 including labor
Alignment $135 Labor
The balance is taxes, shop fees and disposal,

Paid $1455 including taxes in Las Vegas Nevada, I thought price was steep for this service, are others paying the same at dealers.
I cannot see any reason why I'd drop that much on filters...may as well roll up a few 20's and smoke them. Intake filter is ~ $30 on line for Toyota, a little less for Wix. I use NAPA Gold (made by Wix)...on sale twice a year for half-off, I'm under $20. CAF is similar. Intake filter "labor" involves flipping 4 locking clips with your finger, lift the cover, remove the filter, and reverse to reassemble. If you've not done one before, I'd guess 2 minutes tops. CAF involves opening glove box and removing shelf. That gets you access to a little trap door cover. Remove that, start the truck, and set the climate control to recirculating air. Remove the trap door and the filter lifts up and out. Total time, maybe 5 minutes.

Alignment sounds reasonable. Not sure about tires as I won't run 20's.
The following users liked this post:
ragabnh (01-18-17)
Old 01-17-17, 11:09 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I am not sure if these prices are too high or not. But I really don't like Lexus in Las Vegas. Although every year I spend a few months in LV, I always try to service my Lexus in Reno. Las Vegas is very difficult for scheduling appointments. When I need to service my Lexus, I am able to come the same day in Reno. When I needed an apointment in Las Vegas, the first possible date was in more than 2 weeks. When I tried to purchase my new LX there, I was not able to get a good price. I've heard that Lexus Henderson is better.
ragabnh (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 08:13 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Thanks Hank for your input, next time I will do it myself for sure,

I use Lexus of Henderson as it is close by, appointments are typically available within the week but not the same day and you can book online from their web site. They are very expensive though and for what Hank mentioned above it is ridiculous to pay that much for filters. You get hit with shop supplies and other expenses to milk you up and pad the total bill. Unbelievable we are living in days where almost everyone is trying to rip you off.
Old 01-18-17, 08:43 AM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I cannot see any reason why I'd drop that much on filters...may as well roll up a few 20's and smoke them. Intake filter is ~ $30 on line for Toyota, a little less for Wix. I use NAPA Gold (made by Wix)...on sale twice a year for half-off, I'm under $20. CAF is similar. Intake filter "labor" involves flipping 4 locking clips with your finger, lift the cover, remove the filter, and reverse to reassemble. If you've not done one before, I'd guess 2 minutes tops. CAF involves opening glove box and removing shelf. That gets you access to a little trap door cover. Remove that, start the truck, and set the climate control to recirculating air. Remove the trap door and the filter lifts up and out. Total time, maybe 5 minutes.

Alignment sounds reasonable. Not sure about tires as I won't run 20's.
Filter replacement is expensive, but you have to ask yourself- is it worth it to buy the filter and install it yourself? Some people would rather do what hankinid does and others can't be bothered.
But if you want to save $$$ here and there, yeah filters are a quick, easy way to cut servicing costs going DIY. Even I can do that and I'm the last guy you would want to get DIY advice from.

Tires- for 20" at $1050- that depends on brand, type of tire, etc.
Costco offers tires for roughly that price.
But then again tire rack (and I'd imagine other tire shops) offers tires for less money. For example, tire rack has a set of 4 Continental 20" at $654, but we'll round up to $750 for other fees. But don't know how good they are.
You could get a better deal, but you're dealing with 20" tires which are going to be expensive anyway.
ragabnh (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 08:52 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

I don' know if Costco or Tire shops can reset the TPM correctly, I heard stories about people taking the car to dealers to do that after installing tires at third party.

Last edited by ragabnh; 01-18-17 at 04:26 PM.
ggebhardt (01-20-17)
Old 01-18-17, 03:36 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
I don' know if Costco or Tire shops can reset the TPM correctly, I heard stories about people taking the car to dealers to do that after installing tires at third part.
Costco or anyone else cannot read TPMS IDs on new '16LX (and probably also some other new Lexus vehicles) using their scanners. I tried many stores before going to Lexus dealership. But when you have IDs recorded, you can do it yourself. I now use ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool and it works great.
You can write down TPMS IDs when the TPMS sensors are installed for a new tire or you can read them when they are activated and registered in your ECU (use for example ATEQ Quickeset or beta version of Carista app).
The only problem is when you have TPMS sensors already installed in your wheels. Then you can remove the tires, read IDs on the sensors or you can go to Lexus dealership.
ragabnh (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 04:04 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought new tires at my dealer recently. After on-line shopping for the OEM Michelins, the best price I found for 4 was about $800. Oviously that did not include installation, old tire disposal, balancing, and filling with nitrogen. I could have saved maybe $200, but the convenience of gettting a loaner while the tires and a few other things were done was a big plus. Plus, my dealer happened to have a sale on a 4 tire package, for #200 off. And driving around all day in a new loaner sure beat the heck out of sitting in a tire shop waiting room for a couple of hours.

As far as filters, you can certainly save money by changing them yourself.

I have an older BMW with over 300,000 miles, and I do all the work on it myself, but it's a far simpler machine, lacking modern electronics and having no air bags. Built in the days when you opened a hood and actually were looking at an engine instead of a molded plastic shroud.
ragabnh (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 04:28 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Yes I got 2017 RX350 Loaner for two days, I was surprised that my car stayed overnight at dealership, they claim they were busy and did not get to it, I suspect they did not have the tires in stock thus the delay.
Old 01-18-17, 05:24 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Oviously that did not include installation, old tire disposal, balancing, and filling with nitrogen.

As far as filters, you can certainly save money by changing them yourself.
The "filling with nitrogen" is heavily debated...

This from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...170119011727:s is the conclusion of the Tire Rack paper on N2...bold face at the end is mine. Personally, I wouldn't consider N2 as having a compressor in the garage as well as a tire pressure gauge makes it unnecessary.

"So what should drivers do?

"Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

"Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit.

"Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly."
Old 01-18-17, 05:29 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
The "filling with nitrogen" is heavily debated...

This from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...170119011727:s is the conclusion of the Tire Rack paper on N2...bold face at the end is mine. Personally, I wouldn't consider N2 as having a compressor in the garage as well as a tire pressure gauge makes it unnecessary.

"So what should drivers do?

"Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

"Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit.

"Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly."
Plenty of threads on this old, tired nitrogen topic. Let's not start another one.
ggebhardt (01-20-17)
Old 01-22-17, 06:28 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Filter might cost more at the dealer but time after time my local Lexus service manager has matched the best tire prices I could find and has won my tire business. No worrying about the TPS system or other problems.

Challenge your dealer and you might be surprised.
ragabnh (01-22-17)