LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

When (if ever) will we see this engine/transmission in the LX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 12:35 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When (if ever) will we see this engine/transmission in the LX?

LS Performance and Smoothness Redefined: Twin-Turbo V6 and 10-Speed Transmission

For both high power and excellent fuel efficiency, Lexus designed an all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine specifically for the new LS with all-new twin turbos developed through the company’s F1 technology. This new engine in the LS is indicative of the more dynamic approach being taken by Lexus, offering V8-level power without sacrificing fuel economy—all while minimizing noise and vibration.
The new LS engine offers the output one would expect in a flagship sedan: 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque, sizeable gains over the current LS model’s V8. The long stroke and optimized stroke-to-bore ratio contribute to high-speed combustion and the efficiency of the twin turbos, which assist the LS with a projected 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (RWD).
Perhaps more critical is how Lexus tuned the engine and transmission to deliver instant acceleration and a constant buildup of torque toward the engine’s redline.
A ladder frame structure in the cylinder block, redesigned engine mounts, electric wastegates and numerous other features help ensure the remarkable powertrain smoothness, a Lexus hallmark. The driver will be able to tailor powertrain response and feel by choosing from Normal to Sport to Sport+ modes, and just enough of the exhaust note can be heard to enhance the sporty feel.
The first-ever 10-speed automatic transmission for a premium passenger car, having already debuted in the Lexus LC 500, is also used in the new LS flagship sedan. It is a torque-converter automatic, yet with shift times that rival those of dual-clutch transmissions. The wide bandwidth afforded by ten closely spaced ratios is ideal for all forms of driving, helping to provide an optimal gear for all conditions.
Old 01-13-17, 12:54 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope that never. I am extremely angry all the time from this new LS 350T introduction. I wanted to change my '14 LS for the new one but I realy do not want a V6 in a luxury sedan. Both Mercedes and BMW offer even V12 :-( Twin turbo realiability can never be as good as a naturally aspired V8 and it can never be soo smooth. Regarding the transmission - the old 6 speed was much better than the new 8 speed introduced in '16 LX.
Old 01-14-17, 04:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I, too, prefer the 6 speed tranny over the eight.
Old 01-14-17, 08:20 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down I hope we never see it...

Incrementally higher torque and hp than the current v-8...doubtful you'd see or feel the difference in a 3-ton truck. As was posted, probably not as reliable as the current 5.7L motor in the long term. 2 turbos imo is not what you need on a truck-like vehicle. Nor do I need a automatic transmission that shifts almost as fast as a dual-clutch tranny.

Meh...
The following users liked this post:
1BlinkGone (01-16-17)
Old 01-14-17, 09:18 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally wouldn't mind this change. I trust Toyota and its engineers to make the right judgement calls for the sake of forward progress. Turbo or not, their designs have generally proven durable over the long run. I expect this to be no less durable than the current 5.7.

It's like the change from solid axle to IFS in the 100-series. Or AHC in the LX over standard suspended LC's. Steady march of technology over tradition. I'll agree that it all adds complexity, but you would be kidding yourself that you do not enjoy the technology advantages of all the already existing complex systems in the LX570.

Turbo's give incredible low end and mid-range torque. This power delivery profile is especially suited for trucks (and just about every other car type given the steady march towards turbo's in everything, including sports cars). Not unlike diesels, but without the poor top end hp of diesels. Turbo's are really a form of dynamic compression giving engines a broader and more powerful power band. Funny thing is we all likely consider diesels to be incredibly durable. Yet almost all diesels are turbocharged. Turbo's are hardly new, and have proven their durability. Yet I wouldn't buy a BMW with a turbo =P

If the hardcore truck clientele (F150) can make this perspective pivot, I would like to think us as a more sophisticated group, will also in time.
Old 01-16-17, 09:32 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No thank you. Much rather have the N/A V-8. The added heat & wear issues aren't worth it to me. That and I'd much prefer supercharging. Less clutter, heat and general repair issues. Long term, those gasoline turbo engines will be a gold-mine for repair shops. Yes diesels are incredibly durable... because they are built that way from the block on up...as far as Ford's gasoline EcoBoost, they can keep 'em. Just my thoughts. No offense!
YMMV.
Old 01-16-17, 03:30 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I want the diesel. Period.
Old 01-16-17, 07:10 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I want the diesel. Period.
I am originally from Europe and had a few diesels. I don't want diesel anymore :-) Maybe 4.5 V8 Toyota diesel is quite reliable but generally modern diesel engines have many issues and you pay for repairs more than you save on fuel (fuel injectors, turbo, catalysts, DPF, EGR...). When the fuel is as cheap as here in the USA, there is no reason to buy diesel.
The following 3 users liked this post by ClaytonW:
1BlinkGone (01-16-17), Chocolate (01-17-17), TeCKis300 (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 08:38 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

The grass isn't greener on the diesel side of the fence IMO. Given the fiasco with VW, and now potentially Fiat/Jeep with their diesels, the likelihood of a Toyota diesel to see the light of day in the US is practically nill. And having to deal with filling urea...

I will say I'm partial to turbo powerplants. I've had nothing but great experiences and reliability in several cars. The plateau of torque is addicting. Doesn't help that my other car has an italicized lowercase turbo script on its bum.

This might be hearsay, and believe me, I love burning dinosaurs possibly more than most. If we can dream, I personally can see the day where even our full size SUV's are electric. Potentially with some form of petrol range extender. Diesel torque might be dreamy, but it has nothing on torque from an electric motor. Immense torque, yet incredible tractability and response. Easily 500ft/lbs+ at 0 rpm. Those of you that own an EV may understand.

Some random thoughts:
1) The march to 10+ transmission speeds just no longer is an issue as it would be a single speed reduction
2) Easy potential for full individual wheel power and traction control
3) No more fuel vapor and heat radiating form the car when off-road crawling
Old 01-17-17, 11:13 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

And perhaps the EV drivetrain may not be as far either as it will debut in the LS soon.:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ally-confirmed
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 08:17 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as i said before, the next generation of LX will put a shame to this current version.
TT is coming as are a whole bunch of new array of technologies and more aggressive styling.
I anticipate late 2018 or 19 is when new LX will be here. Lexus is far behind AUDI and MB
Old 01-17-17, 08:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Incrementally higher torque and hp than the current v-8...doubtful you'd see or feel the difference in a 3-ton truck. As was posted, probably not as reliable as the current 5.7L motor in the long term. 2 turbos imo is not what you need on a truck-like vehicle. Nor do I need a automatic transmission that shifts almost as fast as a dual-clutch tranny.

Meh...
Maybe the case, but if Toyota decides to put this in the next gen LC/LX platform they would need to modify it provide more torque, and I dont know a scenario where a big heavy truck would not benefit from more power lol. On top of that since only their most dependable and senior engineers make the final decision on a 25 year old lifespan vehicle that is subject to the toughest use situations I personally would not worry about reliability.
Old 01-17-17, 11:16 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
as i said before, the next generation of LX will put a shame to this current version.
It depends how you use it. Land Cruiser 70 series is still the best for off-roading and new generations did not change it :-) Maybe we will get something similar to Q7 or GL as and new Land Cruiser will be a different vehicle with off-road capabilities. It would make sense as just a few people here in the USA use LX for offroading (most of them you can find here at this forum).
Old 01-18-17, 07:54 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
It depends how you use it. Land Cruiser 70 series is still the best for off-roading and new generations did not change it :-) Maybe we will get something similar to Q7 or GL as and new Land Cruiser will be a different vehicle with off-road capabilities. It would make sense as just a few people here in the USA use LX for offroading (most of them you can find here at this forum).
Q7's and GL's are not particularly capable off-road v. a series 200...70 series are neat but the comparable non-Toyota equivalent would be more like a Jeep.

I'd suggest a lot more 200's used off road are found on mud v. here.
Old 01-18-17, 03:43 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd suggest a lot more 200's used off road are found on mud v. here.
Yes, you are right. But it's more Land Cruisers, just a few LXs. Because of AHC, it's more difficult to modify LX than LC.

Quick Reply: When (if ever) will we see this engine/transmission in the LX?