LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 vs Landcruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 10:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I still miss the old Lexus Nakamichi sound system in my prior 2000 LX470......I remembered it had a 6 cd changer with a tape cassette player. No SAT and NO BLUETOOTH though.

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
I like a good audio system as much as the next guy. We're not talking about a comparison of Burmester or anything else. Simply stating that if one enjoys a good audio system, that the LX gets my vote over the LC. That said, I agree that the ML system may not sound the most exciting - at low volumes. I believe it really could benefit from a couple additional EQ profiles and a loudness setting. Where it does excel is in its faithful reproduction of sound as the audio engineer intended it, without coloration. Turn it up, and it really starts shining with its crystal clear balance.

Back in 2010, only the LS and LX had the Reference ML systems. I may be completely wrong today, and would believe the new RCF as one of the new halo cars would receive it. Better still that the whole lineup can option it.
Old 12-26-16, 05:32 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I still miss the old Lexus Nakamichi sound system in my prior 2000 LX470......I remembered it had a 6 cd changer with a tape cassette player. No SAT and NO BLUETOOTH though.
Oh man. Sorry to detract, but the Nakamichi was awesome in my 92 LS400. It blew away the factory Alpina and Blaupunkt from the Euro line up at the time. In any case, since the OP asked about an LX or LC, go with the LX. Life is to short to compare green vs. red apples, crunch verses soft ones. Test drive both, and pull the trigger. You can't go wrong.
Old 12-29-16, 01:44 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Working backwards with a budget of $30k, fully knowing you drive in the winter time and already have a minivan, I'd consider

Toyota Sequoia - while not as highly regarded as the vaunted LC/LX, it is roomier than the LC/LX with enough creature comforts. You can get one in the $20s
LC/LX - you'd find high mileage specimens, but as some can attest ensure you check the service history of a LX or get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done as the AHC should be serviced every 30k miles; a member on here had a $3k repair on that. I would not let miles scare me.
Expedition - Decent, a sluggy-ish 5.4L Triton V8 but it's got the room and gives you enough $$$ for any repairs you may need. Purposeful.
Tahoe/Yukon - I would not discount these; a lot of limo companies use these and rack up 150k-200k miles consistently so reliability is decent...again not matching to a LC/LX level but decent. I see CPO 16 Yukon's in the low $40s so I'd imagine you can find decent mileage units around $30k.
Brand new 17 Chrysler Pacifica - given your kids loved the Town & Country, you can actually get a new Pacifica under $30k. It's growing on me.
Old 12-29-16, 09:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, even the CT200H can have the ML sound system.

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
I like a good audio system as much as the next guy. We're not talking about a comparison of Burmester or anything else. Simply stating that if one enjoys a good audio system, that the LX gets my vote over the LC. That said, I agree that the ML system may not sound the most exciting - at low volumes. I believe it really could benefit from a couple additional EQ profiles and a loudness setting. Where it does excel is in its faithful reproduction of sound as the audio engineer intended it, without coloration. Turn it up, and it really starts shining with its crystal clear balance.

Back in 2010, only the LS and LX had the Reference ML systems. I may be completely wrong today, and would believe the new RCF as one of the new halo cars would receive it. Better still that the whole lineup can option it.
Old 01-01-17, 10:17 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I see where the confusion is.

There's a distinction between Mark Levinson Reference and Mark Levinson Premium systems. Only two models get the ML Reference system - LS and LX. Everything else in the lineup gets the ML Premium system as an option.

‘Reference’ name referring to the fact that its sound reproduction matches that of a professional music studio monitoring desk. Which in some ways will glaringly show the shortcomings of a poorly mastered track. Unlike more typical systems or even premium systems from other brands, that will mask these shortcomings with EQ and tuning for "show" if you will.

Looks like this still holds true today - http://www.marklevinson.com/mark-lev...us.html#models

Last edited by TeCKis300; 01-01-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:11 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX... not even close if you want appointments such as leather, real wood, service experience, etc...
The LC will have very little leather and the wood is plastic. The LX will have leather console, almost full leather seats (yes, Lexus finally sold out) and I don't think I need to go into the service difference between a Lexus dealership and a Toyota dealership. It is about taste, but I know for me it was about the luxury feel and experience. That ad I couldn't find a Land Cruiser anywhere around here. Good luck. Either way, you get a kick *** car that isn't on every corner.
Old 01-12-17, 06:13 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Working backwards with a budget of $30k, fully knowing you drive in the winter time and already have a minivan, I'd consider

Toyota Sequoia - while not as highly regarded as the vaunted LC/LX, it is roomier than the LC/LX with enough creature comforts. You can get one in the $20s
LC/LX - you'd find high mileage specimens, but as some can attest ensure you check the service history of a LX or get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done as the AHC should be serviced every 30k miles; a member on here had a $3k repair on that. I would not let miles scare me.
Expedition - Decent, a sluggy-ish 5.4L Triton V8 but it's got the room and gives you enough $$$ for any repairs you may need. Purposeful.
Tahoe/Yukon - I would not discount these; a lot of limo companies use these and rack up 150k-200k miles consistently so reliability is decent...again not matching to a LC/LX level but decent. I see CPO 16 Yukon's in the low $40s so I'd imagine you can find decent mileage units around $30k.
Brand new 17 Chrysler Pacifica - given your kids loved the Town & Country, you can actually get a new Pacifica under $30k. It's growing on me.
You can quickly create a "mylexus" account and enter the vin of an LX and see the maintenance history, provided it was done at a Lexus dealership...
Old 01-24-17, 06:56 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the longest LX570 offroad video (scroll to about 5 minutes mark)

Old 01-24-17, 07:29 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro

https://youtu.be/a3u1zS_gWeY
wow awesome video!!!
Old 01-24-17, 08:29 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would love to do that.... Just got to have an off-road replacement for the bumpers and the wheels. Then I could have gone with the Land cruiser in the first place.
Old 01-24-17, 10:20 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

A thought on the LX vs Land Cruiser decision.. Since you start off with the information that you will be buying the vehicle to carry elderly adults as well as children, access and comfort seem to be a key point for you. You also seem to want style and status, otherwise a mini van type vehicle might be a better option.

People, particularly older people, find climbing into an SUV to be a bit of a challenge. For that reason alone, I'd choose the Lexus. Since it has height control, you can set it by the push of a button to kneel down closer to the ground whenever you shift into park. It really makes getting in and out much easier. The down side, of course, is the expense of repairs to the system should they be needed. From personal experience, repairing the AHC when it goes is a $2000-plus hit. In fact, if you read about the Lexus AHC, you'll find that a cheaper fix done by some is to convert the LX to LC suspension.
Old 01-24-17, 11:59 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
I hope that everyone now can clearly see, why you should not do this with the stock 21" wheels and tires.
Old 01-24-17, 01:08 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The video confirmed that I have made a right decision by going with the LC. The truck struggled on 21 inch wheels even with winter tires.
Old 01-24-17, 02:14 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
The video confirmed that I have made a right decision by going with the LC. The truck struggled on 21 inch wheels even with winter tires.
It' not LC/LX problem. It's just about tires. I suppose that everybody who wants to use LX off-road will change the tires and wheels first. You cannot do this with 21" wheels. I use 18" wheels from Land Cruiser with AT tires (Tundra 18" wheels with snow tires in winter). BTW, in Russia you can get LX with 18" wheels.
The big problem is the bumper and its approach angle. I don't take my LX on such difficult trails (I have amodified Jeep when I need) so I am O.K. now.
Old 01-24-17, 02:43 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
It' not LC/LX problem. It's just about tires. I suppose that everybody who wants to use LX off-road will change the tires and wheels first. You cannot do this with 21" wheels. I use 18" wheels from Land Cruiser with AT tires (Tundra 18" wheels with snow tires in winter). BTW, in Russia you can get LX with 18" wheels.
The big problem is the bumper and its approach angle. I don't take my LX on such difficult trails (I have amodified Jeep when I need) so I am O.K. now.
Totally agree with you regarding the tires/wheel combo and the bumpers. For someone who would not care what others think, this picture is the perfect solution for the bumper. Just pick the right combination of wheels with it and you are good to go.
Attached Thumbnails LX 570 vs Landcruiser-image.png  
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (01-24-17)

Quick Reply: LX 570 vs Landcruiser