LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering LX - Off Road Capability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 05:24 PM
mrerick1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering LX - Off Road Capability?

I am considering buying a '17 LX. I live in Colorado/currently drive a 4Runner/frequently take it on moderately difficult 4x4 / forest service roads where 4low is req'd.

I've read and watched most of the reviews on the internet - but still have ?s re: LX off-road performance.

Couple of ?s:
1.) Has anybody taken their LX off-road on moderately difficult 4x4 terrain in the Rockies or similar mtns; if so, how did it perform - was the approach angle ever a limiting factor?
2.) Is 4x4ing on rocky terrain with the 21" tires a non-starter?
3.) I saw some folks on this thread switched out 21" or 18"; how have the 18"s been performing overall?

Thanks in advance for your posts on this - much appreciated
Old 11-29-16, 06:34 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mrerick1
I am considering buying a '17 LX. I live in Colorado/currently drive a 4Runner/frequently take it on moderately difficult 4x4 / forest service roads where 4low is req'd.

I've read and watched most of the reviews on the internet - but still have ?s re: LX off-road performance.

Couple of ?s:
1.) Has anybody taken their LX off-road on moderately difficult 4x4 terrain in the Rockies or similar mtns; if so, how did it perform - was the approach angle ever a limiting factor?
3.) I saw some folks on this thread switched out 21" or 18"; how have the 18"s been performing overall?

I will be interested to read the response of folks who use their LX in this manner but I honestly can't imagine that much, if anything at all, gets in the way of an LX off-road. They have a very long history of getting places that heavily modified off-road SUV's, Jeeps, pick-ups, etc. can't access- and I'm talking rigs that have had thousands upon thousands of dollars spent modifying them to make them more off-road capable... and the LX/Land Cruiser does it stock. I remember seeing some beautiful pics on this forum of people who live or traveled way into the mountains in snow, etc. so I'm sure you'll get the specifics you're looking for. On another note, if you get the LX, you're in for one heck of an upgrade from your 4Runner (speaking from experience). Though I do dislike the jump seats in the LX and REALLY wish the back window would go down. Absolutely love that in the 4Runner. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-29-16, 08:12 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I have '16 LX and I take it offroad quite often - on easy to moderate trails in Nevada and California. But when I go to Colorado, I always take my modified Jeep to be able to do the most difficult trails :-) But I perfectly understand. I often take my children, travel in comfort and do just some not very difficult but scenic trails.
So definitely, you can take your LX offroad and you'll be surprided how capable it is. The crawl control works great and can get you through places where you would othervise need front and rear lockers.
O.K, let's go to your questions:
1. It depends what you mean "moderately difficult". If you meen moderate according the most popular 4x4 guide book (Wells, Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive), you should be able to do most moderately difficult trails. You would need some experience and don't mind a few (or more) scratches on your new LX. Yes, the approach angle is a limiting factor but actually not so big. After some months with my LX I learned to live with it. If necessary, some well placed stones can always help :-)
2. Yes, forget for these 21" tires if you plan to go offroad. That does not mean that you cannot do an easy 4x4 trails on the stock tires but the risk of a tire puncture or a wheel damage somewhere deep in the mountains is simply too high. And of course, you cannot get the same traction as with 18" tires. It helps a lot if you can deflate the tires before going offroad. I think that you can go safely somewhere to 18 PSI. Carry a good 12V compressor; Walmart compressors do not help (I use Smittybilt 2781).
3. I use 275/65R18 Michelin LTX AT2 on Land Cruiser wheels. No rubbing. I am happy with these tires as they are comfortable on the highway and quite capable offroad. If you plan to do more offroading, I can recommend BFG KO2. You can also consider some 17" wheels (TRD Pro should work fine).
Old 11-30-16, 09:15 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Moderately difficult means many different things to different people, so it's hard to judge what exactly your speaking to. Though if you traverse any of these in your current 4runner, the LX570 will do these and more handily. With the exception of trails where a narrower 4runner will have an advantage.

Approach isn't much an issue except for serious of rocks/ledges. AHC in high does quite a bit to make this a non-issue. If the situations you're speaking have approach as an issue, I'd be as worried about mid and rear contact. But again, AHC buys some good extra clearance, over which the Land Cruiser guys don't have, even more so when they are loaded down.
Old 11-30-16, 09:27 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This video has been passed around a bit. It's a fairly inspiring Motor Trend on/off road review of the LX570. It takes on a bit of damage however it is taken places most people wouldn't go - perhaps a little more challenging than forest service roads. The day after I got my '16 LX, I took it to a nearby reservoir which was at about 40% capacity to test it on various terrain. Switched off the side airbags and crawled down and around the bank. It did great in sand, gravel, steep inclines/declines, over rocky areas with boulders ranging is size from 3" to about 18". In those areas, the tires seemed okay...perhaps adequate. Clearance was okay in HI mode although I had to be careful going over the larger boulders. In these areas, I didn't notice any breaks in traction & while my son was in the back seat, scared and perhaps freaking out about the angle of the vehicle, in most situations I kind of thought the vehicle was bored... not really challenged at all.

When I got close to shore, going through mud, that's when I got nervous. The stock tires got loaded with mud and started spinning almost immediately and the truck started to sink so I got out and away from the muddy shoreline as soon as possible.

The following users liked this post:
Reggie1 (12-15-16)
Old 12-01-16, 06:30 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of ?s:

If your current 4R is NOT modified you will do all the same things in the LX with the susp raised, except you will have to watch the width carefully, including turning (maybe, maybe not, as my 2010 doesn't have that turn assist which might help even that out...the 4R can turn very TIGHT!).

You should absolutely switch out the tires to ensure lots of grip. I run on the oem 20's and they are JUST FINE OFF ROAD. Except that the rims are getting beat up. Sure, 17's would be a bit better - but I don't see this as big of an issue as people seem to make out of it. If you are sticking to forest service roads don't even worry for a second about your rims...try it out, if there really is an issue, fine look to fix it, if not, just enjoy. We can debate contact patches and sidewall flex in another thread. Yawn.

To answer directly:
1) Yes the approach angle is a limiting factor. Big time. Be ready for some scrapes, if there aren't any then yay! I ran an aftermarket Shrockworks bumper on my 4R to solve the 4R approach issue. I also lifted that 4R and still had approach issues when going out with the most hardcore crews (meaning most trucks were practically home built!) Also, watch for breakover angle and departure. Let's be honest, they are all kinda low, but it depends on how severe you plan or need to go.
2) No way...tire type matters more imo. Make sure you have a grippy all terrain tire...if not, then make sure you are planning a run on dry rocks which will have grip.
3) No info.

Another factor, depending on your terrrain is the additional weight. You are going to carry an additional couple thousand pounds over the same space that your 4R went. Depends on whats underneath you that may be an issue. No matter what vehicle, if you sink you are done! But, since you mentioned fire roads, they are 90% likely to be absolutely fine.

Best,
J.
Old 12-02-16, 08:03 PM
mrerick1
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks all for responses re: LX 4x4 capability

All - Thanks for responses re: off-roading w/ LX. Helps convince me that buying LX = good decision.

It's too bad that nearly all LX's on dealer lots have screens in back + 21" tires -- $3K in wasted options!
Old 12-03-16, 11:46 AM
aashour6
Driver School Candidate

All - Thanks for responses re: off-roading w/ LX. Helps convince me that buying LX = good decision.

It's too bad that nearly all LX's on dealer lots have screens in back + 21" tires -- $3K in wasted options!
There is no way to get it without 21's unless you order it! No one in CO sells it without them from what ive seen. I purchased my 16 from lexus of colorado springs, while i didnt get the best deal on it Im sure you could! Pm me if you want my sales guys contact info

Mine has 21's but no screens. its black on red