Wheels Upgrade or Not for 2016 LX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 09:36 PM
teambell
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Everything you posted was pretty accurate.
You may want to consider going for some 18" LC or Tundra take-offs, and selling the old wheels to recoup the cost. They are reasonably priced (can be found for a few hundred for a clean set). Better ride, off-road, tread, etc. like you said (overall diameter 4.5% larger, odometer also registers 4.5% fewer miles than actual at 32.7"). I wanted the fattest tires possible, so I went with the forged Tundra RW wheels with 285/70/17. I run them without the bead ring, and plasti dip them metallic silver. Weight of each wheel is 22 pounds and each LT tire is 48 pounds. Total unsprung weight is about 10 pounds less than the 20s at each corner when you factor in the small diameter RW lug nuts. Also looked at 295/70/17... too big, and 305/70/17, well:

(from ih8mud.com, https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/305...wheels.936123/ unladen wheel/tire is sitting in front of the other one)

Not sure they will clear the larger brakes of the 16+ LX, though they do fit the 08-16+ LC and 2008 to 2015 LX. The 18s will fit fine and the LX is sold with them in some markets such as Russia.

The wheels/tires are one of my favorite upgrades to the vehicle and worth the price. You get a much larger contact patch and better as well as quieter ride with the right tires (I went with Defender LTX, newer version of MS2) at 33PSI.
Chocolate - any chance you can share a pic of your current wheel setup? Profile of one side and close up of one of your wheels? I really love the LTX tire but have not seen them on the RW wheel yet, to see how they fill up the well. Also intrigued by the removal of the trip ring.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-16, 10:53 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
Chocolate - any chance you can share a pic of your current wheel setup? Profile of one side and close up of one of your wheels? I really love the LTX tire but have not seen them on the RW wheel yet, to see how they fill up the well. Also intrigued by the removal of the trip ring.

Thanks!
Here you go:

Original gunmetal finish:

Plasti dip black with blue metalizer:

Current: Covered over the blue metalizer with bright aluminum metalizer. Working on center cap.

Last edited by Chocolate; 11-17-16 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 03:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by FGetty
Anybody changed their wheels on a 2016/2017 yet? What is the smallest size that will work and still clear the brakes? 18 inch or 19 inch? If so what tire size did you go with? What about the sensors?
Many of the people in this thread are using 18" wheels. You can either move the sensors and buy another pair!
Old 11-18-16, 08:41 AM
teambell
8th Gear

Everything you posted was pretty accurate.
You may want to consider going for some 18" LC or Tundra take-offs, and selling the old wheels to recoup the cost. They are reasonably priced (can be found for a few hundred for a clean set). Better ride, off-road, tread, etc. like you said (overall diameter 4.5% larger, odometer also registers 4.5% fewer miles than actual at 32.7"). I wanted the fattest tires possible, so I went with the forged Tundra RW wheels with 285/70/17. I run them without the bead ring, and plasti dip them metallic silver. Weight of each wheel is 22 pounds and each LT tire is 48 pounds. Total unsprung weight is about 10 pounds less than the 20s at each corner when you factor in the small diameter RW lug nuts. Also looked at 295/70/17... too big, and 305/70/17, well:

(from ih8mud.com, https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/305...wheels.936123/ unladen wheel/tire is sitting in front of the other one)

Not sure they will clear the larger brakes of the 16+ LX, though they do fit the 08-16+ LC and 2008 to 2015 LX. The 18s will fit fine and the LX is sold with them in some markets such as Russia.

The wheels/tires are one of my favorite upgrades to the vehicle and worth the price. You get a much larger contact patch and better as well as quieter ride with the right tires (I went with Defender LTX, newer version of MS2) at 33PSI.
Here you go:

Original gunmetal finish:

Plasti dip black with blue metalizer:

Current: Covered over the blue metalizer with bright aluminum metalizer. Working on center cap.

Love it! Thank you for the pics and super fast response! Are you just masking off the tires when you make the plastidip changes or are you unmounting? How do you like the ride of those Defenders? I have always used LTX m/s & m/s2, but those ih8mud folks are wearing alot of BFG ko2's and I know nothing about them... What are you going to do with the trim rings?
Old 11-18-16, 11:10 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
Love it! Thank you for the pics and super fast response! Are you just masking off the tires when you make the plastidip changes or are you unmounting? How do you like the ride of those Defenders? I have always used LTX m/s & m/s2, but those ih8mud folks are wearing alot of BFG ko2's and I know nothing about them... What are you going to do with the trim rings?
Actually, you can just peel the overspray right off the tire, as it can be removed from any seam such as the tire bead easily after it dries.

The ride is great and definitely smoother and quieter than with the original tires, though the hydraulic suspension on the LX can offer a good ride even with low profile tires. Lots of factors, namely PSI will come into effect, I had balanced them on a GSP 9700 Road Force Touch machine.

The rings are sitting in my basement. I didn't bother with them as they can hold mud/snow/dirt, potentially unbalancing the wheel.
Almost everyone on Mud has KO2s or Mud Terrains, and if I lived in Colorado where I was driving on 1.5 car wide roads on the side of a mountain like some there, I might have run them instead. This is a more all around design for the real world where the truck spends the majority of its time but still capable enough for most conditions including rocks, see here, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-miles.404359/ and with more rubber to road contact than a knobby tire they give up some mud performance to perform better on the road.
Old 11-18-16, 02:42 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

KO2s are great. But if you don't plan to drive so much on mud, there are more comfortable AT tires. I am happy with LTX AT2 (on 18" Land Cruiser wheels). They are also really good on snow/ice.
Old 11-20-16, 03:16 PM
FGetty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
KO2s are great. But if you don't plan to drive so much on mud, there are more comfortable AT tires. I am happy with LTX AT2 (on 18" Land Cruiser wheels). They are also really good on snow/ice.
Hey. Are those the 20" Tundra wheels and what size KO2s did you go with and do they rub? Been thinking about doing the same thing for snow days. How did those KO2s handle snow? Thanks.

The picture looks like those are 50 or 60 series.
Old 11-20-16, 05:49 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Hey. Are those the 20" Tundra wheels and what size KO2s did you go with and do they rub? Been thinking about doing the same thing for snow days. How did those KO2s handle snow? Thanks.

The picture looks like those are 50 or 60 series.
These are Michelin LTX AT2 275/65R18 on 18" Land Cruiser wheels.No rubbing with this size. This is the biggest size which you can use without rubbing. Their diameter is about 0.5" bigger than stock 275/50R21. They are quiet on highway, surprisingly good off-road and on snow. But of course if you want better traction off-road, especially on mud, take KO2. They are available in the same size or you can go for slightly bigger with some minor rubbing.
Old 11-20-16, 09:06 PM
FGetty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
These are Michelin LTX AT2 275/65R18 on 18" Land Cruiser wheels.No rubbing with this size. This is the biggest size which you can use without rubbing. Their diameter is about 0.5" bigger than stock 275/50R21. They are quiet on highway, surprisingly good off-road and on snow. But of course if you want better traction off-road, especially on mud, take KO2. They are available in the same size or you can go for slightly bigger with some minor rubbing.
Nice. Thank you. Sorry about all the questions. What did you do about the tire pressure monitors?
Old 11-21-16, 12:58 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Nice. Thank you. Sorry about all the questions. What did you do about the tire pressure monitors?
You can re-use the original sensors from your stock wheels or you can buy new sensors (I remember that they were not cheap). Unfortunately, they are different than sensors used on Sequoia/Tundra etc.
Old 12-15-16, 02:36 PM
MetalDoggy
Driver School Candidate

Here is mine with 18 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro take-offs that had about 10 miles on them. I bought 4 of them for $300 total from the dealership lol.

They are on BFG KO2's 275/65/18, E Rated (10 ply). Confirmed no rubbing at all and great handling.
Attached Thumbnails Wheels Upgrade or Not for 2016 LX-img_0936.jpg   Wheels Upgrade or Not for 2016 LX-img_0945.jpg  

Last edited by MetalDoggy; 12-15-16 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 12:36 AM
king1828
Driver School Candidate

what do u do you with the tire pressure sensors? do u transfer from the oem wheel to the new wheels? or u buy a new set of the tires pressure sensors? because i want to my wheels from 21" to 22"