LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX compared to AMG GL 63

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 11:19 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LX compared to AMG GL 63

just unreal the power and performance of this beast, but its not BOF. I gather it may still do circles around the LX offroad.
Anyone comparison shop the 2?

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspecial/gl63/eng.html
Old 10-28-16, 04:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I am not so sure that it would run circles around the LX while off road.

I would never own another Benz due to the maint problems I had. I just do not have time to spend making multiple trips to the dealer for them to tell me it is normal!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 10-28-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 09:49 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
just unreal the power and performance of this beast, but its not BOF. I gather it may still do circles around the LX offroad.

ANY off-road comparo video I've seen involving an MB anything, including a GL or G-Wagen, puts the MB behind the LX, or more usually, the Land Cruiser. It doesn't seem to do "circles" around a 200 series, unless you're looking for pure straightaway speed. Comparison shopping the two takes less than a minute...MB v. Toyota reliability.

Post some videos of a G or GL v. a 200 in Moab or similar and we'll be the judges.

As posted above, you don't really need "unreal" power off road. Slow and steady gets it done.

Meh.

T4Fun, do you own a 200 series Toyota product?
Old 10-28-16, 03:02 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

MB-G has front and rear lockers and also better approach/departure angles. So it may be better offroad in some situations. But not worth the extra money.
Old 10-28-16, 03:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
MB-G has front and rear lockers and also better approach/departure angles. So it may be better offroad in some situations. But not worth the extra money.
ATRAC seems to do well v. true locking diff's. I'd give the advantage to the lockers, but it's close.

No arguments about approach angles. I'd say a 2x4 may have a better approach angle than a new LX.
Old 10-28-16, 04:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

when it comes to off road i think the LX is a more capable car. and if anything i think the G is a better off road car than GL too

but getting on public road and other purposes, imho the GL is a better car. and the GL63 is a rocket too which also costs 25k more than the LX. GL550 is a more apple to apple comparison to the LX, there are goods and bads between the two and i think it comes down to what owners want
Old 10-28-16, 04:36 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting a fully loaded GLS 550 or AMG GLS 63 in the color I would want fully loaded would most likely require a special order. I was able to walk into my local Lexus dealer and purchase a fully loaded LX in the color I wanted with no waiting. I also did not consider a Porsche because the dealer said they would have to special order a vehicle to get what I wanted.

Last edited by Frog98; 10-28-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 04:46 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AMG Gl is beast. It is powerful on the paved roads, not so sure about off-road, but you will pay the price for the ownership. Reliability sucks, especially with turbo charge . SUV is not designed for racing. Why Lexus rarely uses turbo charge on their cars rather uses naturally aspirated engines, because it is more reliable. Turbo charge will somehow wear mechanical parts down fast and break more often.

For off-road trucks, one wants more torque, not horse power because it is not racing car. Think of farmer tractors or Hummers that military uses. They are slow, but has a lot of torque.

Last edited by DocT; 10-28-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 04:48 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
ATRAC seems to do well v. true locking diff's. I'd give the advantage to the lockers, but it's close.
I agree. ATRAC in LX works really great. I was really surprised how good it is. I tested it on a very steep uphill, where I need both front and rear differentials locked on my Wrangler Rubicon. And LX made it without any big problems. I would even say that there are situatiion where it can be better than front/rear lockers - maybe some surface covered with snow and ice or thin layer of mud. But in most situations, the lockers will probably be slightly better.
Old 10-28-16, 05:59 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I gather it may still do circles around the LX offroad.
We're being trolled here.
The GL/GLS lacks underbody protection and has lower ground clearance. It is not an offroad capable vehicle or sold as one. For that, Mercedes sells the Gelandewagen, which is an unreliable POS.

Last edited by Chocolate; 10-28-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Frog98
A search online yielded 1 AMG GLS 63 in stock in the United States. I was able to walk into my local Lexus dealer and purchase a fully loaded LX in the color I wanted with no waiting. I also did not consider a Porsche because the dealer said they would have to special order a vehicle to get what I wanted.
you mean your region? i just looked at the closest dealership to me and they have two in stock

https://www.fjmercedes.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&_post_id=4&model%5B%5D=GLS&page=1&show_all_filters=false&trim%5B%5D=AMG+GLS63

and again, GLS550 should be the apple to apple choice and in terms of inventory i don't think it's any rarer than the LX

Originally Posted by DocT
AMG Gl is beast. It is powerful on the paved roads, not so sure about off-road, but you will pay the price for the ownership. Reliability sucks, especially with turbo charge . SUV is not designed for racing. Why Lexus rarely uses turbo charge on their cars rather uses naturally aspirated engines, because it is more reliable. Turbo charge will somehow wear mechanical parts down fast and break more often.

For off-road trucks, one wants more torque, not horse power because it is not racing car. Think of farmer tractors or Hummers that military uses. They are slow, but has a lot of torque.
i would disagree, it all depends on the design. no one should forget about the 2jzgte i6 toyota has in their supra, that's easily one of the most reliable and strongest turbo engines in the history.

i am not defending mb or bmw at all on their tt setup, probably not something i want to own long term after warranty either, but i think it's pretty clear that lexus is behind in their turbo in their mass production lineup. their current offering is the 200t which honestly is very underwhelming. and lexus has shown that they are going down the turbo path as well so they are catching up

if you talk about tq, given the weight of these cars a well designed turbo can actually provide good tq down low while achieving good mpg. the lx570 has 403lb-ft but the gls550 carries over 500lb-ft. i am not saying that alone makes it a better off-road car though
Old 10-28-16, 06:28 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you mean your region? i just looked at the closest dealership to me and they have two in stock

https://www.fjmercedes.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&_post_id=4&model%5B%5D=GLS&page=1&show_all_filters=false&trim%5B%5D=AMG+GLS63

and again, GLS550 should be the apple to apple choice and in terms of inventory i don't think it's any rarer than the LX

i would disagree, it all depends on the design. no one should forget about the 2jzgte i6 toyota has in their supra, that's easily one of the most reliable and strongest turbo engines in the history.

i am not defending mb or bmw at all on their tt setup, probably not something i want to own long term after warranty either, but i think it's pretty clear that lexus is behind in their turbo in their mass production lineup. their current offering is the 200t which honestly is very underwhelming. and lexus has shown that they are going down the turbo path as well so they are catching up

if you talk about tq, given the weight of these cars a well designed turbo can actually provide good tq down low while achieving good mpg. the lx570 has 403lb-ft but the gls550 carries over 500lb-ft. i am not saying that alone makes it a better off-road car though
I was wrong. Looks like most of their inventory must not show up on Cars .com. That's where I checked.

Last edited by Frog98; 10-28-16 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 08:25 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chocolate
We're being trolled here.
The GL/GLS lacks underbody protection and has lower ground clearance. It is not an offroad capable vehicle or sold as one. For that, Mercedes sells the Gelandewagen, which is an unreliable POS.
I am sorry, I haven't noticed that this is about GL (as offroad capabilities were mentioned). I supposed that we talk about Geländewagen which is expensive, unreliable but also offroad capable (thanks to front and rear lockers and good approach.departure angles). Chocolate is 100% right.
Old 10-28-16, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Frog98
I was wrong. Looks like most of their inventory must not show up on Cars .com. That's where I checked.
yes, i do notice a lot of new cars (across brands) don't show up on those sites
Old 10-28-16, 09:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the point of the thread is to point out how far lexus is behind. Its quite obvious many here think the world of the LX. Get real, its not all that, and no one cares if you own one or not..its not a status symbol it once was...(nor are other mainstream luxury brands) .I drive a GX and quite happy with it for now until Lexus redesigns all their BOF suvs

Quick Reply: LX compared to AMG GL 63