LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX 2016 Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 11:56 PM
Emirati
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Lexus LX 2016 Transmission Issue

I had a Lexus LX 2016 for almost a year now one in a while the gear stop would stop shifting even when the RPM reaches the red area, wondering if any faced similar issues and was able to fix it. the dealer reprogrammed the transmission but said he wont be able to do anything unless he faces the same issue while testing

some youtube link with the problem:

D drive

S Drive

this is really getting frustrating and I need to fix ASAP

Last edited by Emirati; 10-21-16 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added titles for the videos
Old 10-20-16, 11:56 PM
Emirati
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car was bought from UAE, First owner
also did any one notice that when you put the car on neutral it would not move forward or backward on tilted roads? like other cars would!

Last edited by Emirati; 10-21-16 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DesertWolf (05-01-22)
Old 10-21-16, 02:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Only probs I have had with my 2016 is under medium to heavy acceleration it will do a hard shift from to second or second to third gear.

Hope Lexus can fix yours.
Old 10-24-16, 02:57 PM
Cynn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a lot of research before I make the prucase because I'm in F1 status and I'll have to buy it by cash in-the-front, which is not something I want to waste. the 16/17 LX was my very-first choice because I personally like the aggressiveness of this facelift despite few of my friends said I was having a bad taste. But during my research I found out there are some serious problems with the design of this new 8-speed transmission loaded on LX. A test driver in China found the gear of this vehicle jumped into neutral automatically while climbing up a bumpy road, Lexus China PR'ed that test driver and made this problem closed, no further information are been heard or reported. This scared me so much that I had to change my mind because this could be a life threatening issue depending on how steep the hill it was climbing.

Here are the links:

Last edited by Cynn; 10-24-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 04:16 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I am probably one of the few LX owners who sometimes drive '16 LX on such steep hills. I never had any issues. I was quite surprised how well the crawl control works.
I am quite sure that anything may happen when you drive in such a more difficult terrain. and when the gear jumps to neutral, it's not usually such a big problem. Yes, it may happen in the worst time and it may cause a rollover. But in a difficult terrain there are many more other reasons why you can end with the black rubber up. This gearbox problem does not increase the risk so much. And although I sometimes do similar steep hills in my LX, it does not scare me too much.
Old 10-25-16, 02:36 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Interesting.

So in the video, the guy says if I put it in "1" instead of "D", them there is no chance of slipping out of 1st gear?

99.9% ++ of LX570 owners will never go climb some 30%+ grade incline on some dirt road. The ones brave enough (or crazy enough) to do it will probably put it in 1st gear instead of "D".

Wonder other SUV models will do om the same course 😧😨😨😨😨??

Overall the LX570 is still the KING of SUV'S.

Originally Posted by Cynn
I did a lot of research before I make the prucase because I'm in F1 status and I'll have to buy it by cash in-the-front, which is not something I want to waste. the 16/17 LX was my very-first choice because I personally like the aggressiveness of this facelift despite few of my friends said I was having a bad taste. But during my research I found out there are some serious problems with the design of this new 8-speed transmission loaded on LX. A test driver in China found the gear of this vehicle jumped into neutral automatically while climbing up a bumpy road, Lexus China PR'ed that test driver and made this problem closed, no further information are been heard or reported. This scared me so much that I had to change my mind because this could be a life threatening issue depending on how steep the hill it was climbing.

Here are the links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50EUbcZLVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmJSNCWS6g
Old 10-25-16, 01:43 PM
Cynn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Interesting.

So in the video, the guy says if I put it in "1" instead of "D", them there is no chance of slipping out of 1st gear?

99.9% ++ of LX570 owners will never go climb some 30%+ grade incline on some dirt road. The ones brave enough (or crazy enough) to do it will probably put it in 1st gear instead of "D".

Wonder other SUV models will do om the same course 😧😨😨😨😨??

Overall the LX570 is still the KING of SUV'S.
Indeed he gave it a try in 2nd video and still failed the test, which means the gear will jump to N even if put in manual. Anyhow, no doubt lexus is still superior on making off road vehicles, which made me put the LX into consideration as the only SUV in my WTB list. But superior doesn't means it is reliable under certain conditions. I went with 750i at the end, not even close to off road in any sense because I'm just a college student and I dont need all those offroad features to go to school, luxury and attractive design is what I'm looking for within my budget, yet I still liked the exterior of new LX.

Last edited by Cynn; 10-25-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 02:38 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed he gave it a try in 2nd video and still failed the test, which means the gear will jump to N even if put in manual. Anyhow, no doubt lexus is still superior on making off road vehicles, which made me put the LX into consideration as the only SUV in my WTB list. But superior doesn't means it is reliable under certain conditions. I went with 750i at the end, not even close to off road in any sense because I'm just a college student and I dont need all those offroad features to go to school, luxury and attractive design is what I'm looking for within my budget, yet I still liked the exterior of new LX.
Wait a minute! You are just a college student and want to buy $100K vehicle. What are you studying?
Old 10-25-16, 02:49 PM
Cynn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocT
Wait a minute! You are just a college student and want to buy $100K vehicle. What are you studying?
I'm studying CS, my parents supported me on that, don't blame on me because I was driving a Corolla but all of my peers drove 100K cars, which left me like an idiot. I was also considering a used 911 c4s or Bentley continental, but fearful of getting shoot by hatred neighbors (which happened sometimes toward international students like me), the subtle of lexus and bmw won my preference.
Old 10-25-16, 06:40 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm studying CS, my parents supported me on that, don't blame on me because I was driving a Corolla but all of my peers drove 100K cars, which left me like an idiot. I was also considering a used 911 c4s or Bentley continental, but fearful of getting shoot by hatred neighbors (which happened sometimes toward international students like me), the subtle of lexus and bmw won my preference.
What is "CS" Computer Science? what school do you go to and where (Bad neighborhood)? So it is all about peer pressure.

Last edited by DocT; 10-26-16 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-26-16, 11:17 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50EUbcZLVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmJSNCWS6g
Wow, very interesting. I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue. I'm hoping the latter. Can you give me a brief synopsis of what they are saying in the videos?

And for those claiming this is not an issue when compared to the other dangers of off roading, I would strongly disagree. I would also disagree with the notion that this is not an issue because only a small minority of LX owners actually take their vehicle off-road. Neither of those are reasons to let this issue slide.
Old 10-26-16, 02:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

offroading should be least of anyones issues. There is a serious problem with this tranny on road too. Dangerous delays and fussy shifting going up and down hilly roads. Drive one and see for yourself. Lack of power as well.
Old 10-26-16, 02:15 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got my 2017, but it drives much better on the road than my GX did. No lack of power or hesitation.

Last edited by Frog98; 10-26-16 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 03:29 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by FlzRider
Wow, very interesting. I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue. I'm hoping the latter. Can you give me a brief synopsis of what they are saying in the videos?

And for those claiming this is not an issue when compared to the other dangers of off roading, I would strongly disagree. I would also disagree with the notion that this is not an issue because only a small minority of LX owners actually take their vehicle off-road. Neither of those are reasons to let this issue slide.
I don't think that this is a problem of all '16 LX. I did similar terrain with my LX and never experienced any transmission problems. I would change the gearbox and test again. That's what Toyota/Lexus should do.
Old 10-26-16, 03:32 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
There is a serious problem with this tranny on road too. Dangerous delays and fussy shifting going up and down hilly roads. Drive one and see for yourself. Lack of power as well.
I agree with the shifting problems on mountain roads.I just don't think that the delays are dangerous. Probably there is one more dangerous problem. Adaptive cruise control sometimes prefer brakes over downshifting on long steep mountain downhills when following a car. The brakes overheat. It's a software issue.

Quick Reply: Lexus LX 2016 Transmission Issue