LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX 2016 Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 04:02 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read and seen the complaints of new LX transmission. So is this a random problem, but not all LX 570's?

I myself don't see or feel any problems with transmission with my truck on the road. However, I have never taken the truck to any rough terrains like the above videos, and I probably would not know. I have read T4FUN's posts that he always complains about the transmission of the new LX's. While others actually are the owners of new LX's never complain.

What about the videos on Youtube that was posted once on this forum.The test driver did not see any problems. Or the terrain that he drove on was not tough enough?
So what is it? Random problems?

Old 10-26-16, 07:43 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
I . I have read T4FUN's posts that he always complains about the transmission of the new LX's. While others actually are the owners of new LX's never complain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNyFYsXyJw

lets not make this personal dude. THERE are several people here owners of lx that complained about it. I would have bot it were it not for this and several other issues.
Old 10-26-16, 10:43 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
lets not make this personal dude. THERE are several people here owners of lx that complained about it. I would have bot it were it not for this and several other issues.
T4Fun,

I did not mean to attack you. As I have quoted one of threads that every new cars or new design come out, especially the first production/patch, they will always have bugs here and there and they eventually will be filtered out . The SEVERAL people that you mentioned had the problems with their LX'S, could it be the 1st line of the production or random problems?

Most of your threads about the transmission, you tend to clump all of new LX's have problems while the most of owners are happy with them outnumber the unhappy people. Maybe, the happy owners could have got the later versions after the bugs were filtered.

And again I am not making this personal nor make you feel offended, but rather want to find out why several people had the problems while many others don't have. And the video that was made by the test driver in Las Vegas, who did not mention anything about the shifting problem while climbing, and the video was made by Chinese test drivers.

To find out the problems, first ask those had problems by looking at VIN number. Did they have early productions?

Pearl: " Don't always believe all of the news that media put out"

Last edited by DocT; 10-27-16 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 12:59 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I'm very familiar with your situation.

But if you are not going off road (since you bought a BMW 7 series sedan), then the alleged transmission problem with the LX570 does not apply in your case.

From my experience when I was in college many years ago, the international students (especially from Asian countries ) tend to buy and drive really expensive and some real exotic NEW cars. They let the cars "depreciate" in terms of age (not necessarily miles) for the 4 years or so that they are in the States. Then they exercise the option of shipping the car back to their home country with NO TARIFFS at entry to their own country. This can only be allowed one car per one person's lifetime type of thing. So a 100k BMW will cost AT LEAST around 2.5X or more overseas. So the savings is tremendous. Most folks in "more developed " Asian countries prefer sedans versus SUVs since the roads are paved. Too bad it is only one car per lifetime. I wished I was a cat with 9 lives!!!! Hehe. LOL.

One of my close friends did that back when the Lexus LS400 was first introduced in the USA. This car was not even "officially" allowed in the home country due to some politics and no Lexus dealership existed there for many, many years. People with money wanted exclusivity. So that family had one of the first LS400 cruising around in the home country. BTW, back when she went to buy that LS400 in middle of nowhere in the state of AL, no one at the Lexus dealership took her seriously since she was only in her early 20's AND OBVIOUSLY NOT FROM THERE.. After complaining to Lexus HQ, she was redirected to another Lexus dealer and bought it cash. She drove it around for a few years and then shipped it out. That car sure turned heads in the home country back in the day.

Originally Posted by Cynn
I'm studying CS, my parents supported me on that, don't blame on me because I was driving a Corolla but all of my peers drove 100K cars, which left me like an idiot. I was also considering a used 911 c4s or Bentley continental, but fearful of getting shoot by hatred neighbors (which happened sometimes toward international students like me), the subtle of lexus and bmw won my preference.

Last edited by lexusrus; 10-27-16 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 01:56 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So this 8 speed transmission is the problem?

Wonder why Lexus did not stick with the prior gen transmission like the ones in 2013 to 2015 LX570 ?

[QQUOTE=T4Fun;9661302]offroading should be least of anyones issues. There is a serious problem with this tranny on road too. Dangerous delays and fussy shifting going up and down hilly roads. Drive one and see for yourself. Lack of power as well.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-27-16, 04:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So this 8 speed transmission is the problem?

Wonder why Lexus did not stick with the prior gen transmission like the ones in 2013 to 2015 LX570 ?

[QQUOTE=T4Fun;9661302]offroading should be least of anyones issues. There is a serious problem with this tranny on road too. Dangerous delays and fussy shifting going up and down hilly roads. Drive one and see for yourself. Lack of power as well.
[/QUOTE]

I believe the 8 speed was a competitive thing with other MFGs. It also slightly helps the EPA figures.

I have no complaints except a hard shift occasionally from 2nd to third. I will mention it at my 10k but it is not a big deal to me.
Old 10-27-16, 06:09 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the 8 speed tranny in the GSF and RCF I am sure is similar but has no lags like the LX. I am wondering what the design differences are
Old 10-27-16, 09:34 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Does some one have a personal friend, who works at Lexus dealer, can ask that question and please tell inform us?
Old 10-27-16, 11:03 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have read and seen the complaints of new LX transmission. So is this a random problem, but not all LX 570's?

I myself don't see or feel any problems with transmission with my truck on the road. However, I have never taken the truck to any rough terrains like the above videos, and I probably would not know. I have read T4FUN's posts that he always complains about the transmission of the new LX's. While others actually are the owners of new LX's never complain.

What about the videos on Youtube that was posted once on this forum.The test driver did not see any problems. Or the terrain that he drove on was not tough enough?
So what is it? Random problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNyFYsXyJw
Hello everyone,

First post here. Just bought my 2016 lx570 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying it so far. Anyways, regarding the transmission issue I believe that this is a random issue that can be fixed with an ecu update. The reason. I say that is because this is the second 2016 that we've bought in our family, the first is in another country, and have had the transmission vibration from gear 1 to 2 changes some of the times. Took it back to the dealer and they did update the ecu and that problem was gone 90% of the time. That LX had a built date of July 2016. The second LX is my number only car in the US and it was built in April 2016 and the transmission has been smooth with no issues.

​​​​​​This is the only forum that has any information regarding the LX so thanks for posting.

kind Regards,
Anreas P
Old 10-27-16, 12:00 PM
Cynn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is "CS" Computer Science? what school do you go to and where (Bad neighborhood)? So it is all about peer pressure.
Yes, CS is brief for computer science. I personally think me as a student deserved a corolla.

Originally Posted by FlzRider
Wow, very interesting. I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue. I'm hoping the latter. Can you give me a brief synopsis of what they are saying in the videos?

And for those claiming this is not an issue when compared to the other dangers of off roading, I would strongly disagree. I would also disagree with the notion that this is not an issue because only a small minority of LX owners actually take their vehicle off-road. Neither of those are reasons to let this issue slide.
I will try my best to translate their conversations for you.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, I'm very familiar with your situation.

But if you are not going off road (since you bought a BMW 7 series sedan), then the alleged transmission problem with the LX570 does not apply in your case.

From my experience when I was in college many years ago, the international students (especially from Asian countries ) tend to buy and drive really expensive and some real exotic NEW cars. They let the cars "depreciate" in terms of age (not necessarily miles) for the 4 years or so that they are in the States. Then they exercise the option of shipping the car back to their home country with NO TARIFFS at entry to their own country. This can only be allowed one car per one person's lifetime type of thing. So a 100k BMW will cost AT LEAST around 2.5X or more overseas. So the savings is tremendous. Most folks in "more developed " Asian countries prefer sedans versus SUVs since the roads are paved. Too bad it is only one car per lifetime. I wished I was a cat with 9 lives!!!! Hehe. LOL.

One of my close friends did that back when the Lexus LS400 was first introduced in the USA. This car was not even "officially" allowed in the home country due to some politics and no Lexus dealership existed there for many, many years. People with money wanted exclusivity. So that family had one of the first LS400 cruising around in the home country. BTW, back when she went to buy that LS400 in middle of nowhere in the state of AL, no one at the Lexus dealership took her seriously since she was only in her early 20's AND OBVIOUSLY NOT FROM THERE.. After complaining to Lexus HQ, she was redirected to another Lexus dealer and bought it cash. She drove it around for a few years and then shipped it out. That car sure turned heads in the home country back in the day.
LOL, seems you are very familiar with it, and yes you're absolutely right, but I'm considering trade-in my 750 after 4-5 years instead of ship it back to my home country because my parents also need a car here as they come to the US frequently. LS400 was a legand, I doubt your friend had never regret for the decision she made.

Last edited by Cynn; 10-27-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 03:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by andreasP
​​​​​​This is the only forum that has any information regarding the LX so thanks for posting.

kind Regards,
Anreas P
You can also check https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-...-cruisers.136/

Welcome.
Old 10-27-16, 09:03 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andreasP
Hello everyone,

First post here. Just bought my 2016 lx570 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying it so far. Anyways, regarding the transmission issue I believe that this is a random issue that can be fixed with an ecu update. The reason. I say that is because this is the second 2016 that we've bought in our family, the first is in another country, and have had the transmission vibration from gear 1 to 2 changes some of the times. Took it back to the dealer and they did update the ecu and that problem was gone 90% of the time. That LX had a built date of July 2016. The second LX is my number only car in the US and it was built in April 2016 and the transmission has been smooth with no issues.

kind Regards,
Anreas P
Welcome to the Lexus Forum. I guess the problem is solved. It is the software issues, but not the tranny.
Old 10-28-16, 02:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, after her family drove it for several years they sold it for TOP DOLLAR since the LS was still rare over there. And NO OFFICIAL Lexus dealers still at the time over there.. Her family then got a MB S
CLASS sedan which they liked better due to the feel of the drive and ride with German cars which they preferred. I guess old habits lives on. For me reliability is KING. I don't want the headaches. But I guess if you have people to take care of the BMW OR MB or have multiple cars to rotate around in case of breakdowns, then not so bad.

Originally Posted by Cynn
Yes, CS is brief for computer science. I personally think me as a student deserved a corolla.

I will try my best to translate their conversations for you.

LOL, seems you are very familiar with it, and yes you're absolutely right, but I'm considering trade-in my 750 after 4-5 years instead of ship it back to my home country because my parents also need a car here as they come to the US frequently. LS400 was a legand, I doubt your friend had never regret for the decision she made.
Old 10-24-17, 07:25 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I took delivery of my 2018.

They finally resolved the transmission hesitation issue: smooth as butter.

No NAV blackout issues. Rides like a bank vault, the highest compliment in my book.

I don't know what alchemy they did, but I am truly happy!
Old 10-25-17, 12:07 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
So, I took delivery of my 2018.

They finally resolved the transmission hesitation issue: smooth as butter.

No NAV blackout issues. Rides like a bank vault, the highest compliment in my book.

I don't know what alchemy they did, but I am truly happy!
My NAV in over a year has only "blacked out" one time. It was just like a reboot and all was normal after that and no problems since.

Congrats on your new ride, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Lexus LX 2016 Transmission Issue