LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Interior Wood Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

What documentation do you have that the wood interior on the Cabernet LX Is shimamoku wood? Because the website says it's linear espresso wood, which is what it looks like to me. Those trims are different, and your steering wheel matches all other steering wheels of cars with linear espresso wood, both LX and other models. The description you posted was of the build sheet not the monroney sticker, what does the actual sticker say?

It's your time and effort, but To me this is a huge fools errand. Not sure how you're damaged here, especially when you were able to inspect the vehicle before you took possession of it. I am jealous of the free time you've got available though

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-03-16 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-03-16, 08:20 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What documentation do you have that the wood interior on the Cabernet LX Is shimamoku wood? Because the website says it's linear espresso wood, which is what it looks like to me. Those trims are different, and your steering wheel matches all other steering wheels of cars with linear espresso wood, both LX and other models. The description you posted was of the build sheet not the monroney sticker, what does the actual sticker say?

It's your time and effort, but To me this is a huge fools errand. Not sure how you're damaged here, especially when you were able to inspect the vehicle before you took possession of it. I am jealous of the free time you've got available though
Linear expresso wood is shimamoku wood. Look at the LS interior. They actually call it expresso wood (on their website and a few youtube video) with the "shimomaku wood on the steering. They match. This has been around since 2013 on the LS. Whether the marketing name for expresso wood is now called Shimamoku in 2016 is beside the point. Both are considered the same wood pattern. As for a build list vs a Monroney sticker, you will have to tell me the technical difference. Unless it is specified as dealer installed (which it is not), the sticker on the window IS the Monroney sticker. Look at the attachment. This a classic case of misrepresentation.

We all don't have time to waste, but time spend on something like this is educational at the least and an opportunity to set things straight. Sure, there's lots of hungry people around the world, and we, as Americans, should not be wasting 40% of our food. You pick your poison. We don't have free time, we make them. One man's fool errand is another man's benefit. Take a look at these link when you can make free time:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...rate-stickers/
https://www.slashgear.com/gm-freezes...bels-13440024/
http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/i...20161103111045
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/site...rcomplaint.pdf

This is NOT the case where "you didn't count your money at the table, so your lost."
Attached Thumbnails Interior Wood Question-20161203_095000-large-.jpg  
Old 12-03-16, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are wrong. Linear espresso wood is NOT shimamoku wood. I had linear espresso wood in my GS, and have the shimamoku wood in my LS. They are similar but different. The linear espresso has a brown hue to it, the shimamoku does not. The shimamoku is not a natural grain, they create it using natural grains.

Your argument is predicated on the false notion that the two wood trims are the same.
Old 12-03-16, 10:10 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, guys! I just finished talking to the dealer and this is what she told me. There are 2 different Shimamoku's......BLACK Shimamoku is that what we have and other just (not black) Shimamoku, which is linear Shimamoku. So the sticker is listed Black Shimamoku that is what we have.
Old 12-03-16, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That dealer is just basically making things up lol. There are not two shimamokus, there is one. Look at the available trim colors on Lexus.com. Where is "black shimamoku"? It doesn't exist. "Black" on the sticker refers to the steering wheel being black.

The LX Comes with linear espresso wood, not shimamoku that's the issue, the steering wheel thing is a misprint.
Old 12-03-16, 07:58 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

At this point, only DocT has confirmation from someone working for Lexus. Take a look at this youtube video from Lexus: Shimamoku Expresso Wood.

Shimamoku is a process of layering wood grains.If it's on my Monroney sticker, then I should have it . . . black white, blue, pink, purple or whatever is stated on the Monroney sticker. Have you ever seen woods on a luxury car that does not match? My point . . . misprint, misrepresentation, it's all the same. Lexus does not want to admit anything at this point.

SW15LS, could you post pics of your LS and GS wood? Use flash to see beneath the clear coat.
Old 12-03-16, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The person Doc spoke to worked for the dealer, not Lexus. These dealer people don't have any idea what they're talking about, as you yourself have experienced.

I no longer have the GS, I replaced it with the LS, but the color of the wood is quite different. The shimamoku wood has no brown or "espresso" color to it, if anything in the light it almost has a green hue to it. The espresso or brown color in the GS was quite apparent in the light.

The linear espresso wood is a natural grain, it's not artificial like the shimamoku trim.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am 100% confident in what I'm saying. In fact if you look in the 4GS forum there's a thread where someone was just as peeved as you are about the steering wheel looking different. Exactly the same pictures, situation, etc.

Even if they could give you an LX wheel with the shimamoku trim you wouldn't want it, because it wouldn't match the rest of your trim.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-03-16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 08:29 AM
DocT
Pole Position

If they have only one Shimamoku, why did they list BLACK Shimamoku? Why did not they simply just list Shimamoku ?
Old 12-04-16, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DocT
If they have only one Shimamoku, why did they list BLACK Shimamoku? Why did not they simply just list Shimamoku ?
They didn't lol. Again, it's poorly worded. They listed a black, shimamoku steering wheel. The comma is what's missing. The sticker for my LS days black shimamoku steering wheel too and they mean the same thing. It's a black steering wheel with shimamoku wood.

Lok ok at the website...find me "black shimamoku" trim. The dealer is doing what they do best, making crap up.
Old 12-05-16, 12:15 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They didn't lol. Again, it's poorly worded. They listed a black, shimamoku steering wheel. The comma is what's missing. The sticker for my LS days black shimamoku steering wheel too and they mean the same thing. It's a black steering wheel with shimamoku wood.

Lok ok at the website...find me "black shimamoku" trim. The dealer is doing what they do best, making crap up.
I hope Lexus is not a Chinese knock-off. As a side note, I was looking for a ps3 controller replacement,, and the market is flooded with fake ones. One of the give away is the misspelling and grammar on the box. So according to SW15LS, those LX570 with cabarnet interior are Chinese knot-off version and not real Lexus. Damn, I got dupe! I should be getting a call from Lexus in a few days.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 12-05-16 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 12:27 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Well i have the cabarnet interior and my steering wheel is dark wood is not like light color wood of the first post, I don't know that what lexus call " black shimamoku" but i like it, it is look good to me.
Old 12-05-16, 06:40 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

If your steering wheel does not have the linear grains, than it is a Chinese knock-off. Your whole interior is a fake. It doesn't matter if it is dark or not. Shine a flashlight onto the wood and you will see beyond the tinted clearcoat; Shimamoku is not a type of wood; it is a process of layering sheets of linear wood grains. The look is similar to your linear expresso wood without the bluish/gray tint.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 12-05-16 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 07:49 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Well i have the cabarnet interior and my steering wheel is dark wood is not like light color wood of the first post, I don't know that what lexus call " black shimamoku" but i like it, it is look good to me.
Can you post the picture of steering wheel and also your sticker to see what they listed? Because mine is like the picture of the 1st post and listed "black Shimamoku". Wanna see yours any difference than we have been debating.
Old 12-06-16, 08:39 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Can you post the picture of steering wheel and also your sticker to see what they listed? Because mine is like the picture of the 1st post and listed "black Shimamoku". Wanna see yours any difference than we have been debating.
yeah my sticker listed $150 for the heat steering wheel with black Shimamoku wood and it is very nice dark color, it is not like the one in the first post, i will take a pics when i get home tonight
Old 12-06-16, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
If your steering wheel does not have the linear grains, than it is a Chinese knock-off. Your whole interior is a fake. It doesn't matter if it is dark or not. Shine a flashlight onto the wood and you will see beyond the tinted clearcoat; Shimamoku is not a type of wood; it is a process of layering sheets of linear wood grains. The look is similar to your linear expresso wood without the bluish/gray tint.
What on earth are you talking about?!?

Quick Reply: Interior Wood Question