LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Interior Wood Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 08:40 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to handle this? Is there a way to get a Lexus representative involved? How did this vehicle pass inspection - water leak inspection - HUD inspection - interior inspection - and so forth? I do not feel comfortable with my dealership handling this bc their priority is their bottom line ($$$). I would be much more comfortable with Lexus overseeing these issues. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!![/QUOTE]
ANY dealer's first priority is the "bottom line"...no surprises here.

You can get a Lexus regional person involved. Get to lexus.com, call the customer care number there, and make the request.

What's the dealership name? Others here may wish to avoid it.
Old 11-18-16, 06:05 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DocT: I will post an update as soon as I have one. I have not seen the new steering wheel. I was told it takes 40 days to produce 1 steering wheel. The moment I see it, I will post pictures, and will provide you with the information you requested.

SW15LS: The pictures that I posted on 9/30 were indeed from an LS, however, the ones posted on 10/01 were from my build of my LX. If you look closely, the steering wheel is Black Shimamoku wood. I do believe there has been a misunderstanding in my post(s)... While I know the interior wood is the linear espresso, the steering wheel that I specifically ordered with this vehicle was the Black Shimamoku steering wheel. This is another reason I am unhappy. I have decided to attach the detail invoice from my order of the vehicle...please see the last item on that picture. As previously posted, I paid extra $$ for that specific steering wheel. I was not mixing up the LS and the LX interiors.
Old 11-18-16, 06:48 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

DrBarlow is right, but the video on youtube only mentioned the LS and not for LX. This could be the case of bait and switch on the part of Lexus. The question is, is Shimamoku a method or a wood grain look or both?
This site seems to mention that it is a type of wood.
https://www.lexus.com.au/brand/shimamoku?category=ALL
Old 11-18-16, 07:00 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Furthermore, the panels for the window switches are BLACK with sparkles. That might not even be wood!
Old 11-18-16, 07:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,968 Posts

According to Lexus.com the LX is not available with the Shimamoku wood...

They certainly don't produce a shimamoku steering wheel to go with linear espresso wood.

I think the issue is your build sheet is an error.
Old 11-18-16, 07:40 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

That means all LX570 with Heated Steering Wheel is an error. Therefore, Lexus will need to refund the $150 for every LX570 owner. I'm calling Lexus on Saturday or Monday to get my money; otherwise, it is a classic case of bait and switch.
Old 11-18-16, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It has a heated steering wheel, it just linear espresso trim, not shimamoku trim.
Old 11-18-16, 08:14 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow i never have time to look close to my LX interior wood trims, but i know my doors panels switches are gloss black with sparkling, i will take a look tomorrow
Old 11-18-16, 08:34 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

After read over this thread, and i went to my garage and checked my steering wheel to see what color wood that it on my truck? Sure enough it is the linear espresso, why is lexus charged us $150 for the shimamoku trim?
Old 11-18-16, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're charging you $150 for the heated wheel, they're just mislabeling the trim.
Old 11-18-16, 09:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
That means all LX570 with Heated Steering Wheel is an error. Therefore, Lexus will need to refund the $150 for every LX570 owner. I'm calling Lexus on Saturday or Monday to get my money; otherwise, it is a classic case of bait and switch.
Report back on how that works out.

ROTF, etc.
Old 11-30-16, 05:52 PM
LazyL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They're charging you $150 for the heated wheel, they're just mislabeling the trim.

exactly!

thats my thoughts
Old 12-02-16, 08:48 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

I contacted Lexus, and they did not admit to it being a typo error. They simply told me to work it out with my local dealer. I did just that. It seems that all LX570 with cabarnet interior list shimamoku wood, but other interior do not list shimamoku wood. Indeed, no LX570 has shimamoku wood steering according to my local Lexus dealer (Part of Group 1). Local Lexus dealer said it was an error. I say its bait and switch. I am going to pursue this with Lexus USA as a bait and switch, and at the least, if it is a typo, then they need to compensate whatever that may be. In the words of Lexus, "In the pursuit of perfection, there are room for improvements." Technically, this qualifies as a class action lawsuit for all owners with cabarnet interiors. This is also on the 2017.
Old 12-02-16, 09:11 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I contacted Lexus, and they did not admit to it being a typo error. They simply told me to work it out with my local dealer. I did just that. It seems that all LX570 with cabarnet interior list shimamoku wood, but other interior do not list shimamoku wood. Indeed, no LX570 has shimamoku wood steering according to my local Lexus dealer (Part of Group 1). Local Lexus dealer said it was an error. I say its bait and switch. I am going to pursue this with Lexus USA as a bait and switch, and at the least, if it is a typo, then they need to compensate whatever that may be. In the words of Lexus, "In the pursuit of perfection, there are room for improvements." Technically, this qualifies as a class action lawsuit for all owners with cabarnet interiors. This is also on the 2017.
Bimmer32,

Good job! But how are we going from here? Local Lexus dealer said one thing and Lexus USA say other thing. If there is class action lawsuit, those damn attorneys will pocket most of them and give us a peanut.

P.S. Mine is also cabarnet interiors
Old 12-02-16, 10:21 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

DocT, I think you are correct about the peanuts. Class action may not be the way to maximize benefits. I will call or email Lexus to get another incident number (they closed the last one), and determine what the next step will be. Believe it or not, the cabarnet comes with the shimamoku expresso wood trims. Why it was not on the steering wheel is a serious oversight on Lexus.

Perhaps a recall on all LX570 with Cabarnet interiors or if Lexus cannot provide a replacement, then they have to compensate for false advertisement. It is now obvious that the woods do not much Monroney (window sticker). The headed steering wheel is retailed at $150, but that does not mean that the wood is worth $150. The value is vague since for some, matching wood could mean a few thousand dollars, for others, particularly Lexus, it may cost them $100 per steering wheel. But to replacement will likely cost them more if it had note been done correctly in the first place. So the goal is putting a real value to this "imperfection" in the "pursuit of perfection.

Quick Reply: Interior Wood Question