LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Safety system works great.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 01:43 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Safety system works great.

On a 4 lane highway and a jerk was passing me in the faster left lane. He was just done passing me when he cut over into my lane, in front of me and slammed on the brakes to make a left turn. Before I could even let my foot off the gas the LX beeped, cut the throttle and applied massive brakes, avoided the collision. It was all over so quickly.

The system just just earned it's keep and my respect!
Old 09-17-16, 08:26 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Do you have to have the active cruise control engaged for the LX to react automatically as it did for you? My wife has never used cruise control in her life. Thus, if it's a requirement that the system be on, it wouldn't help her in this type of situation.
Old 09-18-16, 02:53 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ERC4
Glad to hear everyone is safe. Do you have to have the active cruise control engaged for the LX to react automatically as it did for you? My wife has never used cruise control in her life. Thus, if it's a requirement that the system be on, it wouldn't help her in this type of situation.
No, PCS is always on. It does not matter if you use dynamic cruise control. But of course, you can disable it manually - see the Owner's manual.
BTW, I would never buy a new vehicle without a dynamic cruise control, it's a very useful feature.
Old 09-18-16, 03:41 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Like Clayton said, you do not need to be using cruise control. I do not think I hardly had enough time to remove my foot from the gas peddle and the LX went into brake mode. Impressive. I always wondered if the system works, I am now convinced.

The safety system is on all the time. I seldom use the cruise control system unless on an extended trip.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 09-18-16 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 11:21 AM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the explanation guys. I've got a 2010 with 68k on it and a 2013 with 39k on it. They both look and run perfectly but the advances in the safety systems starting in 2016 is a huge reason to upgrade for me.
Old 09-19-16, 06:06 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing this personal experience. This is a feature I would dearly love to have. As I have gotten older, my reactions have noticeably slowed. It looks like zero changes for 2017, right?
Old 09-19-16, 06:52 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great to know you are safe! Thanks for sharing the information and glad to know the this feature works. I have wondered about that system as in if it is even working at all. I have mine set to the longest distance so it can presumably detect collisions sooner. Every time I try to "test" it while rolling up behind another vehicle, I chicken out and apply the brakes myself before the system responds. I guess the system requires that the car in front be closer than I am willing to get and/or the speed difference to be greater than I am comfortable with.

It sure would be nice if Lexus gave us a little more information on the system.
Old 09-19-16, 07:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brywhite
Great to know you are safe! Thanks for sharing the information and glad to know the this feature works. I have wondered about that system as in if it is even working at all. I have mine set to the longest distance so it can presumably detect collisions sooner. Every time I try to "test" it while rolling up behind another vehicle, I chicken out and apply the brakes myself before the system responds. I guess the system requires that the car in front be closer than I am willing to get and/or the speed difference to be greater than I am comfortable with.

there are some videos out there showing how the system works.

I have had the audible warning go off a few times when the vehicle in front of me is turning off the road and I anticipated it getting out of the way in time. Never had it go into the braking mode. It is not gental braking it is full front end diving max braking! It was rather dramatic but not as bad as running into the rear end of someone.
Old 09-19-16, 09:57 AM
brywhite
Rookie

ggebhardt, Thank you for the information. I'll look around for the videos.

This vehicle has so many systems it's hard to know what's working and when...I think I've had the brake assist feature kick in a couple times when I tapped the brakes perhaps little too enthusiastically - the brakes work great though... I mean, the tires actually squealed at freeway speeds accompanied by the full front end nose dive that kept me well away from the cars ahead but...I scared the crap out of the poor guy behind me.
Old 09-19-16, 11:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

ggebhardt, Thank you for the information. I'll look around for the videos.

This vehicle has so many systems it's hard to know what's working and when...I think I've had the brake assist feature kick in a couple times when I tapped the brakes perhaps little too enthusiastically - the brakes work great though... I mean, the tires actually squealed at freeway speeds accompanied by the full front end nose dive that kept me well away from the cars ahead but...I scared the crap out of the poor guy behind me.
Yep. The second my LX when into "panic mode", my eyes were looking in the rear view mirror!

Enjoy!
Old 09-19-16, 11:24 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a awesome safety feature. Happy youre safe.
Old 09-19-16, 02:05 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Actually, there is a very detailed information about PCS in the Owners Manual, including speeds, speed difference, which vehicles and pedestrians cannot be detected (size, pedestrian's clothing...). But I know, to read the manual is usually extremely boring :-)
Old 09-19-16, 02:10 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Ha ha! Thanks ClaytonW you're right.
Old 09-19-16, 05:17 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Shucks, I should read my manual as this sounds intriguing, but then I live in a place where other than occasional stray cows, there's no traffic
Old 09-19-16, 07:05 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have PCS in my 2013 LX570, but I think the cruise control will need to be engaged and set for this situation to work??? Or do I need to upgrade to 2016 or newer?

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
On a 4 lane highway and a jerk was passing me in the faster left lane. He was just done passing me when he cut over into my lane, in front of me and slammed on the brakes to make a left turn. Before I could even let my foot off the gas the LX beeped, cut the throttle and applied massive brakes, avoided the collision. It was all over so quickly.

The system just just earned it's keep and my respect!

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-19-16 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Safety system works great.