LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

shopping for pre-owned lx570 couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 11:15 AM
echo4747
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shopping for pre-owned lx570 couple questions

I just started considering a lx570 ( mainly want something great for snow/winter/comfortable/reliable & may eventually do a bit of mild off-roading)
-first question: what if any changes occurred from model years 2013,14,15?
- if I dont go with a cpo; and went with something that still has remainder of factory warranty left, how much should I expect to pay for a Lexus extended warranty?

Old 08-22-16, 07:41 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LX

Only change from 2013 to 2015 is the addition of Siri in 2015.

The dealer will let you know the cost of the extended warranty as they have some discretion on the price.

It is a very comfortable and capable vehicle, excels in most areas except MPG.
Old 08-22-16, 09:53 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
The dealer will let you know the cost of the extended warranty as they have some discretion on the price.
You can probably get a much better price for the warranty if you search Toyota/Lexus forums and find a contact for dealers offering a better price. The price difference can be substantial - about 50%. It's a gray zone so I do not want to mention anyone here. The dealers are allowed to offer a better price when visiting their dealership but not over the internet (but some dealers would do it).
Old 08-23-16, 02:27 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LX

Only change from 2013 to 2015 is the addition of Siri in 2015.

The dealer will let you know the cost of the extended warranty as they have some massive discretion on the price.

It is a very comfortable and capable vehicle, excels in most areas except MPG.
FIFY to reflect reality.
Old 08-23-16, 04:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by echo4747
I just started considering a lx570 ( mainly want something great for snow/winter/comfortable/reliable & may eventually do a bit of mild off-roading)
- if I dont go with a cpo; and went with something that still has remainder of factory warranty left, how much should I expect to pay for a Lexus extended warranty?
This is in response to your PM...

Pricing is VERY area dependent. It's also dependent upon how much the F&I guy thinks he can squeeze you...meaning get multiple quotes, just as you would if you were shopping for new homeowner's policy.

I flew from Boise to Spokane and drove the same day with my new to me truck. Once we agreed on a price the afternoon prior, I advised the internet sales manager that the ONE thing I did NOT want to hear was a pitch about an extended warranty, paint or carpet or upholstery "protection", color-keyed floor mats, and any other such BS.

I did get a song & dance as to the extended warranty. Iirc, $3475 for 3 years on which I passed. I was then advised that the warranty would save my **** if anything broke, to which I countered as to the inherent reliability of the Land Cruiser. F&I guy then offered same deal for $2475; he got the same answer from me, a little more abruptly. 3rd offer was for $2000; I advised unless I was out of the office in 5 minutes with a signed application for Idaho title, I'd call a cab and fly home. I started the drive home 10 minutes later.

Got a phone call from the same guy 2 days later, telling me I still had one more week to get the extended warranty. I said thanks and hung up. Interesting that while I was at the dealer I was told I had to decide that day.

Back to specifics...

I'm in Idaho, you're across the country in New York. My truck is a 2013 Land Cruiser, as loaded as one can be. She had 40K when I bought her from George Gee Porsche / Audi in Spokane, WA. She came with full maintenance records from either Toyota of Kalispell (when she was purchased new) or Spokane.

Hth and let's keep this going here v. pm's if you need more info.

Other than that, to me a '13 seems to be the sweet spot now for a well maintained one owner 200 series with maintenance records. Let us know what you get.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 08-23-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 06:27 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

For extended warranty via Lexus: Dont remember exactly where he is from but search the entire forum (meaning all models) for Toby. I know he's somewhere in Lousiana- Shreveport or Baton Rouge if I remember (he's at a Lexus dealership). Haven't read a single negative comment and apparently he consistently has low pricing. Good luck with your search. I just had an incident with my 2010 that made me very glad I had warranty protection (mine was CPO). No better SUV on the road IMO so you can't go wrong.
Old 08-23-16, 07:43 PM
echo4747
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to everyone for all the info so far. My search just became a bit tougher as the only preowned lx570 locally recently sold. Most of the ones i see listed on cars.com that I have intrest in are 250+ miles miles from home. One more question I have is : how simililar is the color mercury metallic to silver lining metallic?. I was at my local Lexus dealership and couldn't find and vehicles in mercury metallic but saw plenty of cars in silver lining.
Old 08-23-16, 09:02 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Most of the ones i see listed on cars.com that I have intrest in are 250+ miles miles from home. One more question I have is : how simililar is the color mercury metallic to silver lining metallic?. I was at my local Lexus dealership and couldn't find and vehicles in mercury metallic but saw plenty of cars in silver lining.
It's definitely not out of the ordinary to travel to find the truck you want to make yours. When I was looking for the LX and Cruiser I checked web listings on cars.com, traderonline.com, Craigslist, and 4 or 5 others, including the classifieds on ih8mud. I"m in the northwest, and I would have gone as far east as Denver and as far south as Houston for the right deal. I figure I'm dropping in excess of $50K, travel is a cheap investment. More than a few potential buyers on mud will ask another member to check a truck if the truck is at a distance from the buyer. It's also worthwhile having a pre-purchase inspection done at a Lexus dealer or indy shop with a great rep, as long as they have nothing to do with the deal. As my local 'yoga dealer told me when I passed on an overpriced '11 LX, "these aren't Corollas, we don't see many used ones for sale.

Silver lining metallic...
http://2014_lexus_ct_200h_base_silve...0960141469.jpg

Mercury metallic...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...y_Metallic.jpg
Old 08-24-16, 10:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Thank you to everyone for all the info so far. My search just became a bit tougher as the only preowned lx570 locally recently sold. Most of the ones i see listed on cars.com that I have intrest in are 250+ miles miles from home. One more question I have is : how simililar is the color mercury metallic to silver lining metallic?. I was at my local Lexus dealership and couldn't find and vehicles in mercury metallic but saw plenty of cars in silver lining.
Get used to this happening. These beasts are hard to find...especially if you're looking for a certain color combo. My old boss had one that I was going to fly out to buy and drive it 7 hours home- I couldn't find any locally and he was going to sell me his for what the dealership offered him on trade. A few weeks before I was going to do that I noticed a 2010 CPO pop up 45 miles from my house at a Lexus dealership. This one was my 1st color choice (boss' was 2nd color choice), had 1/2 the miles and was CPO but was a $15k premium. I convinced myself that I wanted to drive an LX before buying my boss' truck (I had all intentions not to pay the $15k premium)- and had a couple hours to burn so I went over to drive it... and after some hard negotiating I bought it a few hours later. It had only been on the lot for a week. I don't know the production volume of LC's and LX's but I know it's low. And people typically hang on to them for a long time because they're expensive and will last forever. Oh, and they're a pleasure to drive. As long as I can afford one, not sure I will ever have anything else.
Old 08-24-16, 03:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Get used to this happening. These beasts are hard to find...especially if you're looking for a certain color comb...

I don't know the production volume of LC's and LX's but I know it's low.

And people typically hang on to them for a long time because they're expensive and will last forever. Oh, and they're a pleasure to drive. As long as I can afford one, not sure I will ever have anything else.
Looks like 2014 is the most recent year with 200-series production numbers on the web.

In 2014, Toyota sold ~3200 Land Cruisers and ~4000 LX's. Definitely not a Corolla. That implies that finding your dream truck around the corner may have long odds.

When I searched for my last one, SoCal, DFW, Houston, Seattle and the SF bay area seemed to have the most for sale. Mine ended up in eastern Washington.

Steve

Old 08-24-16, 04:28 PM
echo4747
Driver School Candidate

Get used to this happening. These beasts are hard to find...especially if you're looking for a certain color combo. My old boss had one that I was going to fly out to buy and drive it 7 hours home- I couldn't find any locally and he was going to sell me his for what the dealership offered him on trade. A few weeks before I was going to do that I noticed a 2010 CPO pop up 45 miles from my house at a Lexus dealership. This one was my 1st color choice (boss' was 2nd color choice), had 1/2 the miles and was CPO but was a $15k premium. I convinced myself that I wanted to drive an LX before buying my boss' truck (I had all intentions not to pay the $15k premium)- and had a couple hours to burn so I went over to drive it... and after some hard negotiating I bought it a few hours later. It had only been on the lot for a week. I don't know the production volume of LC's and LX's but I know it's low. And people typically hang on to them for a long time because they're expensive and will last forever. Oh, and they're a pleasure to drive. As long as I can afford one, not sure I will ever have anything else.
Silver,Grey,possibly the metallic red in this order is all I'm considering. I currently have a 2015 rx450h in starfire pearl and my wifes car
is pearl white too. Before that, we both had black vehicles. So I would like a change. I also have a older (2007) Audi S6 I would like to trade in but would hate to drive it 250-300 miles and the have them lowball me on trade in so far from home. I also noticed a 2014 CPO GX460 (Silver) about 60mi from home. We( wife & I) like the GX but we both prefer the style of the LX more
Old 08-25-16, 06:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Silver,Grey,possibly the metallic red in this order is all I'm considering. I currently have a 2015 rx450h in starfire pearl and my wifes car
is pearl white too. Before that, we both had black vehicles. So I would like a change. I also have a older (2007) Audi S6 I would like to trade in but would hate to drive it 250-300 miles and the have them lowball me on trade in so far from home. I also noticed a 2014 CPO GX460 (Silver) about 60mi from home. We( wife & I) like the GX but we both prefer the style of the LX more
I have a 2010 silver with tan leather. There is a grey '12 or '13 in my same town that is absolutely beautiful- I don't know what interior colors you can get on the grey- but grey color looks awesome. I get jealous every time I see it- I think I prefer that over silver (I also think the grey is pretty rare) but you may not be in a position to wait forever to find your 1st color preference.

FWIW- I had an older GX (2004) prior to buying my '10 LX. It is night and day difference. The GX is tall and skinny compared to the LX which makes the GX feel top heavy. We had the GX for about 3 years and it was very good to us as all Lexus vehicles have been, but once we drove the LX it was game over. We have 2 young kids and the LX is so much heavier and "more substantial" feeling- especially on the highway- that I feel much safer having the kids in that vs our GX. I know a lot of things have changed on the newer GX's but it's still a skinnier (more narrow) truck that suffers a bit from being top heavy. The LX also has substantially less road noise at highway speeds. Drive them both and I would be shocked if you don't end up with an LX. It is more luxurious, bigger, more substantial, and quieter. Plus, an LX is not a "dime a dozen" and you won't see many of them around. The LX lacks on MPG compared to the GX but not enough to care about. My only knock on the LX is the 3rd row jump seats- if you have rear passengers (we always do- our kids) and need to haul a bunch of stuff in the back, the loss of width in the back is annoying. Christmas road trips hauling a bunch of suitcases and presents up and back is when they really drive me insane. I am likely in the minority here but I wish the jump seats weren't powered (so I could remove them easily myself). 99% of the time I don't need them and it would be nice to be able to take them out and put them back in myself. Other than that, no comparison.
Old 08-25-16, 06:43 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

I also noticed a 2014 CPO GX460 (Silver) about 60mi from home. We( wife & I) like the GX but we both prefer the style of the LX more
LX v. GX is an apples to oranges comparison.

IMy only knock on the LX is the 3rd row jump seats- if you have rear passengers (we always do- our kids) and need to haul a bunch of stuff in the back, the loss of width in the back is annoying. Christmas road trips hauling a bunch of suitcases and presents up and back is when they really drive me insane. I am likely in the minority here but I wish the jump seats weren't powered (so I could remove them easily myself). 99% of the time I don't need them and it would be nice to be able to take them out and put them back in myself.
You can remove both seats in 10 minutes or so...4 bolts + a power connector on each side...simple.
Old 08-25-16, 08:58 AM
echo4747
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 silver with tan leather. There is a grey '12 or '13 in my same town that is absolutely beautiful- I don't know what interior colors you can get on the grey- but grey color looks awesome. I get jealous every time I see it- I think I prefer that over silver (I also think the grey is pretty rare) but you may not be in a position to wait forever to find your 1st color preference.

FWIW- I had an older GX (2004) prior to buying my '10 LX. It is night and day difference. The GX is tall and skinny compared to the LX which makes the GX feel top heavy. We had the GX for about 3 years and it was very good to us as all Lexus vehicles have been, but once we drove the LX it was game over. We have 2 young kids and the LX is so much heavier and "more substantial" feeling- especially on the highway- that I feel much safer having the kids in that vs our GX. I know a lot of things have changed on the newer GX's but it's still a skinnier (more narrow) truck that suffers a bit from being top heavy. The LX also has substantially less road noise at highway speeds. Drive them both and I would be shocked if you don't end up with an LX. It is more luxurious, bigger, more substantial, and quieter. Plus, an LX is not a "dime a dozen" and you won't see many of them around. The LX lacks on MPG compared to the GX but not enough to care about. My only knock on the LX is the 3rd row jump seats- if you have rear passengers (we always do- our kids) and need to haul a bunch of stuff in the back, the loss of width in the back is annoying. Christmas road trips hauling a bunch of suitcases and presents up and back is when they really drive me insane. I am likely in the minority here but I wish the jump seats weren't powered (so I could remove them easily myself). 99% of the time I don't need them and it would be nice to be able to take them out and put them back in myself. Other than that, no comparison.
I see you are in Fl. any chance this vehicle you see is in the Ft Myers,Estero, Cape coral area? I have a good friend who moved to that area 2 yrs ago and wants me to come visit. Might be a good exuse to fly there drive back to western new york

** realy looking for a 2013+... like the spindle grill
Old 08-25-16, 10:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I see you are in Fl. any chance this vehicle you see is in the Ft Myers,Estero, Cape coral area? I have a good friend who moved to that area 2 yrs ago and wants me to come visit. Might be a good exuse to fly there drive back to western new york

** realy looking for a 2013+... like the spindle grill
No I'm in the suburbs of Orlando. You'd be comfortable on the long drive home if you pick up an LX while in FL... The spindle grille in the sense that I think of it didn't show up on the LX until 2016. 2012 was the first true "hourglass" outline at the grille and now retrospectively you can see Lexus easing in to the more aggressive spindle design. I like 2012 and beyond because the tail lights changed (very slightly) and LED outline of headlights (Audi style) shows up, plus the turn signal on the side mirrors. Subtle differences but IMO make a nice difference compared to my '10...but ours just got paid off so no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Quick Reply: shopping for pre-owned lx570 couple questions