LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Heavy rust on 2013 LX570

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 10:48 AM
grove
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy rust on 2013 LX570

We purchased a 2013 "L Certified" LX570 with perfect Carfax with 35k miles from Lexus dealer here in Atlanta. Four months after purchase we discovered heavy rust throughout entire undercarriage, brake systems, catlaytic converter etc. I will try to attach pics.
We are devastated...dealer no help....says normal rust. I have 2003 LX 470, Landcruiser and Forerunner not one spot of rust. This LX570 looks 10 years old underneath. Anyone had this issue? I looked a few other LX570 since discovering this rust seems they all have rust..
perhaps issue is with this model?? PLease help...offer advice

Last edited by grove; 08-01-16 at 10:56 AM. Reason: attaching photos of rust damage 2013 Certified lx 570
Old 08-01-16, 11:01 AM
grove
Driver School Candidate

The car was in this rusted condition when it was Certified by the dealer offered for sale as L Certified Jan 4, 2016. We purchased Jan 4, 2016. I'm having a hard time believing it can be Certified in this condition. We feel deceived.
Old 08-01-16, 12:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by grove
The car was in this rusted condition when it was Certified by the dealer offered for sale as L Certified Jan 4, 2016. We purchased Jan 4, 2016. I'm having a hard time believing it can be Certified in this condition. We feel deceived.
I do not think you were deceived, unless your state laws offer relief, typically a used vehicle is sold, as they say, "As Is, Where Is, With no warranty expressed nor implied". I'm sure you also realize that you could have checked the owners section of lexus.com, entered
the vin number, and see any and all services done to the truck since it was delivered. It will also give you the delivering dealer and location, but to me it doesn't appear to have lived for 3 years in the rust belt. In fact, rust looks superficial and hopefully, not to difficult to stop.

I'm puzzled as to why you did not have the dealer pull the skid plates pre-delivery, put it on a rack and crawl underneath. Beyond that, why did it take 4 months to get around to it? Maybe time to pick up some POR and a few cans of black Krylon.

Old 08-01-16, 01:30 PM
grove
Driver School Candidate

The car was "L Certified" by Lexus. That program based on their own written literature is an exhaustive 161 point inspection documented in writing. There are 12 specific lines dedicated to the undercarriage that state no excessive wear or damage visible. It is checked off line by line as "Meets Lexus
premium appearance and mechanical standards". I reviewed this list line by line with my salesperson. I also asked for and reviewed service records on the car including what the dealer did to the car to make "L Certified". Unfortunately, I'm learning the L Certified is nothing more than sales gimmick
and they are still stereo typical used car salesmen.

Experts I have had look at the car say the rust cant be stopped. Im dissapointed becuase we love the LX 570 model and have always loved out Lexus and Toyota products.

If there is a solid solution to correct the rust I would be very interested...everything I have read and experts I have had look at it on a lift don't give me much confidence in correcting it. .
Old 08-01-16, 05:50 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I just sent a link for your photos to an experienced car mechanic who serviced my cars while I lived in the Czech Republic. He is an expert for classic cars restorations. He thinks that all this rust is just superficial and it's not a big issue and you should not expect any problems for at least next ten years.
He does not understand why some "experts" told you that "the rust can't be stopped". He sent me photos of a restored part proving that with some effort and money it can look even better than new:

He thinks that removing the rust and painting would take him about 2 days.

Old 08-01-16, 06:02 PM
grove
Driver School Candidate

Wow thanks Clayton! I think the issue here seems to visible holes in catalytic converter and brake line fittings etc. I've been reading all day about options and treatments to stop the rust. We love the car but are very worried about problems that will surface.
I have a car restore pro looking at it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the follow up!!
Old 08-01-16, 06:11 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow thanks Clayton! I think the issue here seems to visible holes in catalytic converter and brake line fittings etc. I've been reading all day about options and treatments to stop the rust. We love the car but are very worried about problems that will surface.
I have a car restore pro looking at it tomorrow.
Thanks again for the follow up!!
Exhaust and catalytic converter can be an issue earlier. I remember that he mentioned it. But it's quite normal for all Toyota vehicles especially when driven in states other than California :-)
Old 08-01-16, 08:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Is there Lexus factory warranty against rust of this sort?

Long time ago I had a 1995 Volvo 960 4 door sedan and I kept it for some 20 years before I sold it (I was the original owner). On delivery in MI at the time straight unloaded from the auto transporter, I asked them to put it up on the racks. I went under and saw lots of superficial rusts on the suspension components. I asked about it, and was told it is normal and was on all these new Volvos. I was naive back then and did not ask anymore and I took delivery. 20 years later, no problems, no further rusts at the time when I sold it.

The car was "L Certified" by Lexus. That program based on their own written literature is an exhaustive 161 point inspection documented in writing. There are 12 specific lines dedicated to the undercarriage that state no excessive wear or damage visible. It is checked off line by line as "Meets Lexus
premium appearance and mechanical standards". I reviewed this list line by line with my salesperson. I also asked for and reviewed service records on the car including what the dealer did to the car to make "L Certified". Unfortunately, I'm learning the L Certified is nothing more than sales gimmick
and they are still stereo typical used car salesmen.

Experts I have had look at the car say the rust cant be stopped. Im dissapointed becuase we love the LX 570 model and have always loved out Lexus and Toyota products.

If there is a solid solution to correct the rust I would be very interested...everything I have read and experts I have had look at it on a lift don't give me much confidence in correcting it. .
Old 08-01-16, 08:32 PM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

A few years ago I purchased a 2004 GX470 with about 35K miles. Seemed really clean, and found out later that there was rust down below, not too dissimilar to what you've got. I too was disappointed that I did not assess this prior to the purchase. I live in WA, but the car was a NY vehicle. In the end, I put another 150k on the vehicle. Two seized front calipers (eventually) and a couple of wheel bearings later (again after many miles), the vehicle was pretty trouble free. The amount of rust was unusual for WA state, but did not affect the integrity or reliability of the vehicle in any noticeable way.

You should be able to stop / slow down the progression of rust if it is really bothering you. But in the end, the vehicle will be just fine.
Old 08-01-16, 08:59 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The rust is superficial and totally normal for a 3 year old car driven in northern climates on salted roads
Old 08-03-16, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
The rust is superficial and totally normal for a 3 year old car driven in northern climates on salted roads
I totally agree. Seems superficial. Photos exaggerate things sometimes.

A car that is as expensive as the LX is should have had a coat of rust inhibitor underneath when bought.
Old 08-03-16, 07:15 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue when i bought mine as it came from OH. Also CPO. I wire brushed and scraped off as much as i could then used the expensive rustoleum primer and black flat spray paint. looks fine after 3 years.
Old 08-03-16, 08:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

grove, What's the history behind the vehicle? Was it always a GA truck?

Maybe the previous owners took many trips with it to the northern states during the winters? A GA truck should definitely not look like that ever, especially 3 years. However, if it was used on northern roads, than it would explain what you are seeing.

Most trucks here probably look like that after 1 winter of daily driving through many months of snow and road salt. Majority of people do not undercoat their cars so they are not protected in any way. Very common here. Nothing to worry about. Just find a place near you that can coat the underside with some Fluid Film and you're good to go (Or just apply the stuff yourself on all the frame and suspension components). It will stop the rust from spreading.
Old 08-03-16, 08:29 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All that said, IMO, its well below what a CPO standard should be and no question, it should have been reconditioned prior to sale. Sadly, from what I hear, CPO's are more of a marketing tool and running a Carfax /place of purchase/registration is still crucial.
Old 08-03-16, 09:21 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45004-.../dp/B00H2VVL0S

It's designed to stop further rust progression and form a hard coating. We'll see how it performs but the Amazon reviews are quite good.

Quick Reply: Heavy rust on 2013 LX570