LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2016 LX570 Owners - What are your first impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 01:37 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I am quite happy with 18" wheels from '16 Land Cruiser. They are quite cheap on eBay. Probably many new LC owners want to replace their wheels with some stupid 21" or bigger wheels. Unless you plan doing some really difficult trails (which would also require some lifting, offroad bumpers, rock rails etc.), you would be probably fine with 18" wheels.
Interesting that there are a lot more aftermarket wheels in the 18" size and only about a few in 17" 5x150. The TRDs are expensive and I wouldn't mind saving $1000. The LC and TRD wheels will have the correct or close offset, though - something to check when it comes to aftermarket wheels. 60mm stock, 50mm on the TRD wheels.

EDIT: Found this:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download

Front brakes .5" larger in 2016, rear brakes same 13.6".

Last edited by Chocolate; 07-14-16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 03:11 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... Thanks @Hankinid, @Chocolate and @ClaytonW great information. I'm obviously going to need to do a little reading/learning about this but maybe 18" is the way to go.

Just filled up the tank with gas...the dash indicated 43 miles remain. I could only get 16.3 gallons into the 24.6 gallon tank. Notifications seems to be fairly inaccurate, is this normal?
Old 07-14-16, 03:26 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brywhite
Wow... Thanks @Hankinid, @Chocolate and @ClaytonW great information. I'm obviously going to need to do a little reading/learning about this but maybe 18" is the way to go.

Just filled up the tank with gas...the dash indicated 43 miles remain. I could only get 16.3 gallons into the 24.6 gallon tank. Notifications seems to be fairly inaccurate, is this normal?
They might clear (.3" larger than rear) but you would probably want to test fit a spare RW wheel to see.

That is normal. Toyota really wants you to keep some extra fuel in your tank. I put in 18.5 gallons when the gauge was showing near empty.

By the way, I only calculate mileage the old fashioned way

Last edited by Chocolate; 07-14-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 10:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I am quite happy with 18" wheels from '16 Land Cruiser. They are quite cheap on eBay. Probably many new LC owners want to replace their wheels with some stupid 21" or bigger wheels. Unless you plan doing some really difficult trails (which would also require some lifting, offroad bumpers, rock rails etc.), you would be probably fine with 18" wheels.
I've yet to meet a Land Cruiser owner looking for ghetto wheels...most want to ditch the oem tires and get something more suitable for a mix of on and off road...lots of scenery to see up here and some of it takes 4w low.

The worst example I've seen was a year or so ago when a guy in Japan wanted opinions here on 24" wheels for his wife's LX. You could say he had a strong dislike for most of the answers.

Originally Posted by brywhite

275-70x18 is about as large as you can add without a lift in the front. My AT II's are that size, and I get a tiny amount of rubbing at full lock...if I trim about 1/2" off the bottom of the front mud deflectors, the rubbing will stop and no one would notice the difference.

I think I've seen the yellow light once in the LX, not yet in the Land Cruiser. To me, it's meh. If you're not scanning the instruments periodically, you need to re-learn how to drive.

Originally Posted by Chocolate
They might clear (.3" larger than rear) but you would probably want to test fit a spare RW wheel to see.

That is normal. Toyota really wants you to keep some extra fuel in your tank. I put in 18.5 gallons when the gauge was showing near empty.

By the way, I only calculate mileage the old fashioned way
Toyota wants to keep the exceptionally stupid driver as a customer. A post here noted a wife who ran out of gas twice...reason was that the little yellow light burned out...she apparently never noticed the gas gauge.
Old 07-15-16, 12:14 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
275-70x18 is about as large as you can add without a lift in the front. My AT II's are that size, and I get a tiny amount of rubbing at full lock...if I trim about 1/2" off the bottom of the front mud deflectors, the rubbing will stop and no one would notice the difference.
I wanted to be sure that there will be no rubbing :-) That's why I decided for 275/65 R18. Still about half an inch bigger diameter comparing to stock tires (ca 32"). I have Michelin LTX A/T2 - most highway friendly AT tires. Still quite good offroad. Better than expected.