LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

A little bit of LX-OR

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 12:57 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little bit of LX-OR

Washout? no problem... flooded? okey dokey. I was over the running boards but in normal mode. There was a worse spot but I had to concentrate, not film!

This next one I could not risk... The stakes are too high in case of failure. No tow truck can easily access this area (although there is one off road recovery tow truck I heard about). I think that maybe it was possible? 6000lb pushing through the 4 contact patches...we can calculate the downward pressure. Then, calculate the force of the water acting on the profile of the suv (mostly just tires and some lower body) if the downward is greater, then technically I think I would be ok to move forward. Although the rock underneath is also slippery (minus some traction points there) and the water is creating a lube (minus more traction points). From putting just a foot into this current I could not even come close to standing. Far too powerful. Dropping a stick it moved approx 1.5 seconds for a (guesstimate) meter (cdn all over the map between imperial and metric lol). Depth up to (guesstimated) 1.5 ft. What do you guys think? Should I have tried?

AND THEN ...on the drive home I managed a 13.5l/100 which I'm very very proud off. What a vehicle!

Cheers,
J.
Old 07-13-16, 06:39 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

You can get anywhere with your LX! Yesterday I met this beautiful LX450 on Rubicon Trail. Unfortunately, I went just with my Jeep. There is not a good front bumper, lift kit etc. for my '16 LX available yet :-)

Old 07-13-16, 08:16 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
You can get anywhere with your LX! Yesterday I met this beautiful LX450 on Rubicon Trail. Unfortunately, I went just with my Jeep. There is not a good front bumper, lift kit etc. for my '16 LX available yet :-)

Do you know of anyone taking an LX on the full Rubicon successfully?
Old 07-13-16, 10:24 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Do you know of anyone taking an LX on the full Rubicon successfully?
Unfortunately not. But I believe that these guys from Kentucky will be able to finish it. I met them just about a mile from the beginning (Loon Lake). It was a group of 3 Toyota vehicles - this LX, Land Cruiser 70 series (imported from Japan) and an old Land Cruiser J40. I suppose they camp at Buck Island or Rubicon Springs today and tomorrow they should get to Lake Tahoe. I usually do Rubicon at one day without camping overnight, but I am local :-)
Maybe there will be some info at this forum at LX - 1st and 2nd Gen section. I forgot to ask if they are registered here :-)

Btw, you can take quite safely your new LX to the Rubicon Trail area. You can drive 14N06 and 14N05 roads to Ellis Creek (there is a locked gate preventing accessing Rubicon trail from 14N05). You can also drive the easy part of Rubicon - Wentworth Springs Rd to Wentworth Springs camp. You can also try the first 0.3 mile of the trail from Loon Lake to the Gatekeeper. And of course the final part of Rubicon - from Lake Tahoe to the east Rubicon staging area and further to Cadillac hill - as far as you can get - the trail wiil be worse and worse :-)
The following users liked this post:
fosterelli (10-08-18)
Old 10-08-18, 04:05 PM
1997LX450
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the owner of the LX450 in this thread. That was over 2 years ago. I just saw this thread by accident yesterday.
The LX450 made it through the Rubicon trail with only minor damage. One small dent in rear quarter and 1 front fender flair was torn off. I had no problem getting over the rocks, but it was very tight in spots. I drove from Kentucky, then did Rubicon trail, next did several trails in Colorado then back home. 5000 mile round trip with no mechanical issues. Just a lot of gas!
We are the Bluegrass cruisers. Our group had 1 70 series, 2 40 series, and my LX450.
One of the 40 series broke a rear axle about a mile in. We spent about 5 hours changing the axle.
it took us 3 days to get through the trail, but all vehicles made it out OK.
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (10-08-18)
Old 10-09-18, 12:04 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1997LX450
I am the owner of the LX450 in this thread. That was over 2 years ago. I just saw this thread by accident yesterday.
The LX450 made it through the Rubicon trail with only minor damage. One small dent in rear quarter and 1 front fender flair was torn off. I had no problem getting over the rocks, but it was very tight in spots. I drove from Kentucky, then did Rubicon trail, next did several trails in Colorado then back home. 5000 mile round trip with no mechanical issues. Just a lot of gas!
We are the Bluegrass cruisers. Our group had 1 70 series, 2 40 series, and my LX450.
One of the 40 series broke a rear axle about a mile in. We spent about 5 hours changing the axle.
it took us 3 days to get through the trail, but all vehicles made it out OK.
Congratulations to finishing the trail. I am quite sure that there are not many Lexus vehicles which were able to get through :-)